Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Good to see DOD hungry and accurate when he came on yesterday looks like we're back to something like last years levels

WOD played well broke up plenty of ball and used it.....really struggles when past the opposition 45 though, more a half back to me

POL couldn't keep the smile off his face played well but tougher tests ahead

When the game was relevant one of our backs was caught for pace 3 times

Need to stand someone down on tk next week and tie him up and kick on and win from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

slegs wrote: »
    Clare bullied us around Ennis last year. It’s not going to happen next week. Anyone who saw the league match in Ennis earlier in year will know these two groups don’t like each other very much. It will be a battle but one I think Limerick will win
    Totally agree Limerick have to stand up physically which I’d expect them to do, and don’t give Tony Kelly an inch and they’r more than half way there

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Good to see DOD hungry and accurate when he came on yesterday looks like we're back to something like last years levels

WOD played well broke up plenty of ball and used it.....really struggles when past the opposition 45 though, more a half back to me

POL couldn't keep the smile off his face played well but tougher tests ahead

When the game was relevant one of our backs was caught for pace 3 times

Need to stand someone down on tk next week and tie him up and kick on and win from there
    Yes Tipp have shown the template on how to beat Clare, put someone sitting on tk all game and nullify him as an outlet for ball, also push up on their half back line and midfielders and dont allow them any time to pick out a pass, pressure has to be savage and hunt in packs.
    For next week id leave WOD in midfield, he has got the physical size to mix it with malone and golden, I'd have dod starting at wing forward, he can get around the field faster than T Morrissey and has a great eye for the posts too. Pol deserves to stay at wing back too, its up to byrnes to win that place back.

No problem with any of that......management really need to select a bit more on the opposition, it's great to say we will focus on ourselves and play our own game and let teams worry about us......but realistically you need to exploit their weaknesses and that means adjusting 1 or 2 personnel then so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭letsseehere14

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Yes Tipp have shown the template on how to beat Clare, put someone sitting on tk all game and nullify him as an outlet for ball, also push up on their half back line and midfielders and dont allow them any time to pick out a pass, pressure has to be savage and hunt in packs.
    For next week id leave WOD in midfield, he has got the physical size to mix it with malone and golden, I'd have dod starting at wing forward, he can get around the field faster than T Morrissey and has a great eye for the posts too. Pol deserves to stay at wing back too, its up to byrnes to win that place back.

Yes I think Sheedy got it spot on on Sunday. He had a big man on Conlon, a nippy fiery back on O'Donnell and made both look ordinary. Then also marked Kelly and Collins out of the game. Tipp also seemed to have Clares puckoput strategy sussed and they had no plan B. If we can pressure their puckouts like that and get our matchups at the back right we should have the beatings of them. But Clare will have learend a lot from that loss.
    Just a little concerned at our recent history against them, plus the added pressure of it being a lose and we're out scenario. Recent history shouldnt count for much but I think we've lost to Clare in 2016, 2017 and 2018 championships now and only drew there this year in the league. It shows that they will have no fear of us at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Conlon and O Donnell wont play as bad the next day. Both are top class hurlers. Conlon is out of form but if he hits form he ll beat Casey. Hes had Casey's number. But again Casey has come on again this year and is a good guy. I think this has the hallmark of being a great game. Clare know they can cause Limerick problems and Limerick have given Clare way too much respect. If you stand of Galvin and Kelly your finished. They ll destroy you. I think O Donovan should come back in. Hes got more hurling than WOD and this match might suit him. I think the full forward line might be in trouble because I dont think the balance is right...Mulcahy and Casey and Gillane are not physical enough together . I'd play Downes if he was on form...but unfortunately that option is long gone. Flanagan maybe...but has he 40mins in his hamstring...
    If I'm honest I see a tremendous battle with Clare sneaking the result.

What about starting Dowling at ff,physicallybigger and an ace free taker if needed for the long ones I’d also agree with whoever said O Donovan at wingforward instead of Tom Morrissey he’s way off it all year

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Conlon and O Donnell wont play as bad the next day. Both are top class hurlers. Conlon is out of form but if he hits form he ll beat Casey. Hes had Casey's number. But again Casey has come on again this year and is a good guy. I think this has the hallmark of being a great game. Clare know they can cause Limerick problems and Limerick have given Clare way too much respect. If you stand of Galvin and Kelly your finished. They ll destroy you. I think O Donovan should come back in. Hes got more hurling than WOD and this match might suit him. I think the full forward line might be in trouble because I dont think the balance is right...Mulcahy and Casey and Gillane are not physical enough together . I'd play Downes if he was on form...but unfortunately that option is long gone. Flanagan maybe...but has he 40mins in his hamstring...
    If I'm honest I see a tremendous battle with Clare sneaking the result.

I wouldn't be worrying about casey on conlon at all I think he'll suit mike down to the ground. I think we're better but it's a local derby so anything can happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Anyone know how many tickets are sold sofar for the Limerick v Clare match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

dave 27 wrote: »

Both stands are sold out for over a week now so I'm guessing it'll be close to the cork game or even more. 31k for cork match I think it was.
    Good game In store, limk due a win off Clare!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Huge game and I expect us to be up for it big time. Clare are our bogey team along with Cork and it’s about time we got one over on them. Think we will need to play very well but I expect we will perform. Was a very good vocal Limerick crowd down in Walsh Park last week. Hopefully more of the same in a big crowd on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Both stands are sold out for over a week now so I'm guessing it'll be close to the cork game or even more. 31k for cork match I think it was.
    Good game In store, limk due a win off Clare!

they are more then due a championship win against us , it used to go every second game in league and championship up to a couple of years ago , clare unbeaten in a few now so long overdue

although as a little warning ......jerome has an opinion column in the leader today about limerick being back to there best .....always a bad omen for limerick hurling when he starts getting carried away :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

they are more then due a championship win against us , it used to go every second game in league and championship up to a couple of years ago , clare unbeaten in a few now so long overdue

although as a little warning ......jerome has an opinion column in the leader today about limerick being back to there best .....always a bad omen for limerick hurling when he starts getting carried away :D:pac:

Ya exactly, it went every second game for an age but then the Banner took over when the 2013 team came along. Limerick's last 'big' win over Clare was that 1B playoff in Ennis when Honan caused havoc until Condon went full back and took the chance of playing him from the front and it worked.
    Downes scored 2 goals at the other end. Didn't matter after anyway as the powers that be decided that nobody would be relegated from 1A and we were left to languish in 1B for another 4/5 years (through our own fault)
    Take poor old Jerome with a pinch of salt..!!! this time last week he was spreading rumours off the record that there was massive in-fighting in the camp. Loves to have everyone think he's got the 'inside track' when actually he knows little more than you or me.
    What I would take serious note of was Loughnane's interview on OTB this evening where he reckons than knocking out their near neighbours will be the carrot to get Clare over the line on Sunday and they will come with fire in the bellies. This is as much a home game for Clare as it is for Limerick.
    I think it will go down to the wire. Expect a similar backlash that Cork got from that Tipp trouncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

washman3 wrote: »
    Ya exactly, it went every second game for an age but then the Banner took over when the 2013 team came along. Limerick's last 'big' win over Clare was that 1B playoff in Ennis when Honan caused havoc until Condon went full back and took the chance of playing him from the front and it worked.
    Downes scored 2 goals at the other end. Didn't matter after anyway as the powers that be decided that nobody would be relegated from 1A and we were left to languish in 1B for another 4/5 years (through our own fault)
    Take poor old Jerome with a pinch of salt..!!! this time last week he was spreading rumours off the record that there was massive in-fighting in the camp. Loves to have everyone think he's got the 'inside track' when actually he knows little more than you or me.
    What I would take serious note of was Loughnane's interview on OTB this evening where he reckons than knocking out their near neighbours will be the carrot to get Clare over the line on Sunday and they will come with fire in the bellies. This is as much a home game for Clare as it is for Limerick.
    I think it will go down to the wire. Expect a similar backlash that Cork got from that Tipp trouncing.

Based on what transpired in cuss just park last Sunday especially the second half I don’t think there is any doubt about the result it’s only the margin. Clare almost got caught by Waterford in their first game and we hall know what has subsequently happened to them. LK playing at home in front of a huge crowd. Don’t think there is much to worry about and there will be no other result other than an LK victory by between 5 and ten points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Ye won the 2015 Munster game, Cian Lynchs debut. Seanie Tobin and Donnellan were sent off.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Based on what transpired in cuss just park last Sunday especially the second half I don’t think there is any doubt about the result it’s only the margin. Clare almost got caught by Waterford in their first game and we hall know what has subsequently happened to them. LK playing at home in front of a huge crowd. Don’t think there is much to worry about and there will be no other result other than an LK victory by between 5 and ten points.

I like your optimism. That's the theory that many had when Cork were coming to town after being trounced by Tipp and it probably worked its way through to the squad. These games can turn on an knife-edge. Clare were more than a match for Tipp until the first goal which should've been cleared. Tipp got the tails up and immediately tacked on a few points. Then came Callanan's opportunist goal after a silly Clare free. Game over.
    We all know Tipp are a notch or two ahead of the rest at the moment but the margins that change games are very tight.
    The question is, did Clare down tools because deep down they knew that a win in Limerick will guarantee progress from Munster, the ultimate goal of each team this year, or have they regressed since 2018.? We will know on Sunday evening.
    Amazingly, Clare can afford to lose this game, beat Cork next week and still progress,at Cork's expense, pending the Tipp/Limerick result.
    We lose, we're out, simple as.
    So I for one would gladly take a sneaky/controversial/undeserved one point win this Sunday and settle for third place like 2018. Most people would've settled for that before a ball was pucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Last win was 2015 Munster first round, seanie Tobin sent off just after coming on to let ref even it at 14v14.....brutal match and we got our arses handed to us by tipp in Gaelic grounds a few weeks later.

We haven't had a match as big as this in a long time. The latter stages of the All Ireland last year were almost bonus territory as success was achieved so early in John Kiely's reign. To go out this early in championship would be a big blow to all the momentum of the last year. If we win we are setup nicely for the Tipp game with a chance of making the Munster final. Cant wait for Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭letsseehere14

Really make or break now. We go well and we're going to be considered true contenders.
    Just very hard to know what'll happen. You'd hope we have woken up intensity wise after the Cork game but Waterford were just so poor it's hard to tell. The Waterford Clare played were not as bad as last Sunday and Clare were by far the better team so it's hard to gauge anything there. If we lose and go out so be it. You can't lose two games in the new format and expect to progress. Especially two home games. Will Clare have learned anything from last week? I still expect us to win by a few. Last week was really necessary to keep the fans buzzing. Clare will have the wind knocked out of their sails from last week. Home advantage too.

• Advertisement

Really make or break now. We go well and we're going to be considered true contenders.
    Just very hard to know what'll happen. You'd hope we have woken up intensity wise after the Cork game but Waterford were just so poor it's hard to tell. The Waterford Clare played were not as bad as last Sunday and Clare were by far the better team so it's hard to gauge anything there. If we lose and go out so be it. You can't lose two games in the new format and expect to progress. Especially two home games. Will Clare have learned anything from last week? I still expect us to win by a few. Last week was really necessary to keep the fans buzzing. Clare will have the wind knocked out of their sails from last week. Home advantage too.

Yes, when Clare played Waterford everything was to be played for.
    No comparison to the team that went out last Sunday. Waterford resigned to the fact that making the 3 needed more than a miracle. Rumours that some of their players had already booked flights to USA for the summer for after the Cork game,says it all.
    Just hope our display V Cork was the kick in the arse that we needed and that Clare aren't saying the same about last Sunday.
    But I don't read too much into this home venue theory. Some of Clare's best victories over the years have been in the GGs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Rumours that some of their players had already booked flights to USA for the summer for after the Cork game,says it all..

It's says people like making things up is what it says. The club's over there would pay for those flights.

Limerick will win I think. If they don't then there not good enough for an all Ireland this year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Just reading on another site that Hegarty is out. A big loss.

PhuckHugh wrote: »

That's only balls he'll be fine

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    whats wrong with him supposedly?

High bike wrote: »
    whats wrong with him supposedly?

I don't know heard he got a dead leg v Waterford thats all as far as I've heard we'll know for sure in an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

LIMERICK: Nickie Quaid (Effin); Sean Finn (Bruff), Mike Casey (Na Piarsaigh), Richie English (Doon); Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell), Declan Hannon (Adare), Paddy O’Loughlin (Kilmallock); Cian Lynch (Patrickswell), William O’Donoghue (Na Piarsaigh); Gearoid Hegarty (St Patricks), Kyle Hayes (Kildimo-Pallaskenry), Tom Morrissey (Ahane); Aaron Gillane (Patrickswell), Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock), Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh). Subs: Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock), Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh), Tom Condon (Knockaderry), Aaron Costello (Kilmallock), Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh), Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh-Castlemahon), Dan Morrissey (Ahane), Barry Nash (South Liberties), Darragh O’Donovan (Doon), David Reidy (Dromin-Ath

There are two fresh faces among the subs from the 20-point win over Waterford with Seamus Flanagan back after injury and a first appearance in a matchday squad for Conor Boylan. Departing the matchday panel are Barry Murphy, who picked up an injury late in Waterford, and Paul Browne.

Happy enough with that

Mon limerick

Some subs bench

• Advertisement

Personally I think it’s a bit of an odd selection.

1. Dan Morrissey has probably been the most consistent player on the team this year so I don’t understand him being dropped unless he took a knock or there is a very specific man marking plan involving O’Loughlin or Byrnes

2. Darragh O’Donovan deserves his place back. He was excellent when he came on the last day. Think he is a good bit ahead of WoD as a player

Anyway, Kiely has a plan I presume so will wait to see it

Advertisement