Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

slegs wrote: »
    Personally I think it’s a bit of an odd selection.

1. Dan Morrissey has probably been the most consistent player on the team this year so I don’t understand him being dropped unless he took a knock or there is a very specific man marking plan involving O’Loughlin or Byrnes

2. Darragh O’Donovan deserves his place back. He was excellent when he came on the last day. Think he is a good bit ahead of WoD as a player

Anyway, Kiely has a plan I presume so will wait to see it

I don't agree with you on Dan but the others in hb line were cleaned as bad. I think the mgmt might be thinking we'll not start with our optimum 15 but all will get game time plus the first 30 to 45 minutes are the settling part of games generally they're won in last 20 so having Dan and dod to come on might be a good thing, personally I'd have started Dowling for Tom morrissey and Flanagan for casey but I ain't privy to whats going on out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

lim4ev wrote: »
    I don't agree with you on Dan but the others in hb line were cleaned as bad. I think the mgmt might be thinking we'll not start with our optimum 15 but all will get game time plus the first 30 to 45 minutes are the settling part of games generally they're won in last 20 so having Dan and dod to come on might be a good thing, personally I'd have started Dowling for Tom morrissey and Flanagan for casey but I ain't privy to whats going on out there

Agree that Tom Morrissey should be rested and someone else given a start. He has been average for the last few games. Will come good again but looks tired.

Don't think Dowling is as good as a starter as he is as a sub, tbh. Afaik he has never scored from play against Clare in the Championship, which highlights (for me at any rate) how inconsistent he has been over the years.

He has been super coming off the bench in the last 12 months, no need to change it.

Don't think Dowling is as good as a starter as he is as a sub, tbh. Afaik he has never scored from play against Clare in the Championship, which highlights (for me at any rate) how inconsistent he has been over the years.

He has been super coming off the bench in the last 12 months, no need to change it.

Normally those would be my thoughts too but how long can you keep the likes of dowling etc happy with 20 minutes this was a perfect chance to reward him cos in fairness he has put in a huge effort this yr plus Morrissey hasn't been going well. I do accept dowling does better coming from the bench my thinking is long term

Normally those would be my thoughts too but how long can you keep the likes of dowling etc happy with 20 minutes this was a perfect chance to reward him cos in fairness he has put in a huge effort this yr plus Morrissey hasn't been going well. I do accept dowling does better coming from the bench my thinking is long term

I don't want to get on Dowling's back, he's a guy I like who always gives his all but he got a start last year against Clare and it didn't happen for him. He has a great role in the team in being the guy who comes on to close things out. Nothing wrong with it, hell, it's great to know he's there to do it. I'd be very reluctant to give him a different role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

In fairness he wasn’t the only one it didn’t happen for in Ennis last year and I’d include the management in that

High bike wrote: »
    In fairness he wasn’t the only one it didn’t happen for in Ennis last year and I’d include the management in that

My thinking aswell. As I already said I'm not saying I'd be starting dowling every time just thinking kiely needs to alternate a little more what has morrissey done so far this yr? (I don't like criticising players)

My thinking aswell. As I already said I'm not saying I'd be starting dowling every time just thinking kiely needs to alternate a little more what has morrissey done so far this yr? (I don't like criticising players)
    was surprised he held his place as well, hopefully he proves us wrong tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Here's to a great game of hurling today, don't forget the rain coats today rain forecast for most of the afternoon!
    Limerick to win but if Clare start banging in goals we'll be in trouble!
    Any truth in hegarty having a leg injury? I see he's named to start.
    Surprised to see Flanagan not start as he pulled up after coming on against cork, the worry there is could happen again and have to be subbed off!
    Hannon to man mark Kelly perhaps with o loughin and Byrnes to cover the rest of the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

High bike wrote: »
    was surprised he held his place as well, hopefully he proves us wrong tomorrow

Tom Morrisseys tackling and slowing down the oppositions clearances is why hes holding his place. He is the best man tackler on the team. Goes straight for the man and stands him up ,not letting him hit the deck. He hasnt been on top form though.
    Be interesting to see if Byrnes can slow his man from scoring..It hasn't been a priority for Byrnes in the past. I wish him all the best in this regard.
    The fullback line is going to have their hands full with Shanagher,Conlon and O Donnell. Those 3 are a great full forward line on form so the backs need to play frontage front here in my opinion and trust themselves .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Anyone want 2 free tickets to the match? Season ticket section 219 row J. Send me a message if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

That's us pretty much through I think, great stuff

The work rate, physicality, shooting all came together, few ropey moments in defence but hung in there early on

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Magnificent performance. From start to finish. Give it a right lash now in Thurles next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Cant ask for more..... dominant in every position. Thank god we bate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭PIORUN

Town end next week????

Hard to pick a man of the match they all played well and 5 or 6 were exceptional,and fair play to Tom Morrissey he stepped up today

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

You couldnt beat that lot by enough ... the guff out of them last year was unreal. Firmly put back in their box yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭letsseehere14

Anyone know the actual capacity of the Gaelic Grounds? 29k yesterday with both stands full and vast majority of city end too looked at capacity. Iv seen 49k listed but cannot see how another 20k would have fit into it.
    Iv also seen, on wiki so not reliable, Semple listed at 45,690, just ahead of Pairc Ui Chaoimh at 45k and stated to be 2nd largest stadium after Croker. I always thought they'd fit 50+ in there on big Munster days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Anyone know the actual capacity of the Gaelic Grounds? 29k yesterday with both stands full and vast majority of city end too looked at capacity. Iv seen 49k listed but cannot see how another 20k would have fit into it.
    Iv also seen, on wiki so not reliable, Semple listed at 45,690, just ahead of Pairc Ui Chaoimh at 45k and stated to be 2nd largest stadium after Croker. I always thought they'd fit 50+ in there on big Munster days.

The city end terrace, although it looked quite full could fill another few thousand in, if you see what terraces looked like full in rugby matches then comparing this to yesterday youd see there was plenty room, also for the clare end terrace, the terrace was only about half full if that.

id say anywhere between 45 & 46 thousand.

If you look at the all ireland football simi final in 2014 between kerry and mayo the attendance that day was over 36k but footage of the match showed plenty spaces in the terraces.

from a website it states 24,000 Seated (9,500 covered) and 25,500 terraced which is 12,750 capacity per terrace which seems about rite but id question the capacity of the Mackey stand, worst stand in the country!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

RTÉ were reporting an attendance of 39,600. TheJournal was the first place I spotted the 29,000 figure.

I used to do stewarding in the Gaelic Grounds in the mid 2000s and people used to say it would fit 55,000 if we were ever given a fixture big enough to draw a crowd. I think there was a doubleheader in 2004 or 2005 that had over 40,000 at it.

The city is going to need to come up with proper parking and transport procedures/facilities going forward to deal with crowds for home fixtures in the Munster Championship. I could see residents' passes becoming a thing for Caherdavin, Ashbrook, etc in a way similar to the system they use near Thomond Park. The Condell Road was mental from before 13:00 yesterday afternoon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Hard to know how there was only 29,600 officially there yesterday . The GAA seem to reduce the actual amount of people that were there whereas the rugby tell you there’s more there than there actually was . I wonder if Limerick and tipp got to munster final might it be on in limerick ?
    The tunnel has reduced significantly the travel time for anyone traveling from west Limerick etc . No need to be going in dock road etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

hurler32 wrote: »
    I wonder if Limerick and tipp got to munster final might it be on in limerick ?

Limerick Tipp Munster Final would be in Limerick as would a Limerick Cork final as unlikely as that is. Cork Tipp would be Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Pandiani wrote: »
    Limerick Tipp Munster Final would be in Limerick as would a Limerick Cork final as unlikely as that is. Cork Tipp would be Cork.

How is the venue for the final agreed? I'd assume its mostly on in Semple?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

dave 27 wrote: »
    How is the venue for the final agreed? I'd assume its mostly on in Semple?

Reverts to the old home/away agreements

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

RTÉ were reporting an attendance of 39,600. TheJournal was the first place I spotted the 29,000 figure.

I used to do stewarding in the Gaelic Grounds in the mid 2000s and people used to say it would fit 55,000 if we were ever given a fixture big enough to draw a crowd. I think there was a doubleheader in 2004 or 2005 that had over 40,000 at it.

The city is going to need to come up with proper parking and transport procedures/facilities going forward to deal with crowds for home fixtures in the Munster Championship. I could see residents' passes becoming a thing for Caherdavin, Ashbrook, etc in a way similar to the system they use near Thomond Park. The Condell Road was mental from before 13:00 yesterday afternoon!

Didn't it hold 42 or 43k for the munster final back in 13 or whenever we won it last? They said it could hold 45 but health and safety officer wouldn't sign off on filling the terraces like before so they had to drop it by a few thousand.
    Agree with the traffic tho, its bananas that they won't even let buses up the Ennis road. Park and ride could be done to woodies or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

The announcement made at the match was 29 thousand.

Capacity of the GG's is no more than 45k. They got over 48k in there for the 2008 Munster final, I think the capacity was reduced on H&S grounds in between then and the 2013 Munster final which despite large demand took in 42,730. (So maybe the capacity is actually 43k?)

I was at that 2013 game, the terraces were heaving. There was nowhere near that amount of people on the terraces yesterday. It looked no more full than the Cork game last month which brought in 31k.

I know 29k is not to be sniffed at but I was a bit disappointed all the same, maybe the interest in county Clare took a hit after losing to Tipp, and more home fans could have turned up (these were Limerick's first home championship games as All-Ireland champions since 1937, doesn't happen that often).

Different times I suppose but the atmosphere was magical in 1996 for that Munster semi final, we may never again see a game other than a provincial final, AI semi or AI final break 40k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Nic_Col wrote: »
    The announcement made at the match was 29 thousand.

Capacity of the GG's is no more than 45k. They got over 48k in there for the 2008 Munster final, I think the capacity was reduced on H&S grounds in between then and the 2013 Munster final which despite large demand took in 42,730. (So maybe the capacity is actually 43k?)

I was at that 2013 game, the terraces were heaving. There was nowhere near that amount of people on the terraces yesterday. It looked no more full than the Cork game last month which brought in 31k.

I know 29k is not to be sniffed at but I was a bit disappointed all the same, maybe the interest in county Clare took a hit after losing to Tipp, and more home fans could have turned up (these were Limerick's first home championship games as All-Ireland champions since 1937, doesn't happen that often).

Different times I suppose but the atmosphere was magical in 1996 for that Munster semi final, we may never again see a game other than a provincial final, AI semi or AI final break 40k.

To be fair there was a very big limerick crowd yesterday ( brilliant picture on front page of examiner sports part with all the green on open stand behind Gillane after goal ) . Handy Clare crowd .. but it is 4 matchs in 5 weeks with families and money still tight in most houses . Even my young fellow fed up of sweet prices under stand wanted to go to Lidl beside gg before game to stock up and it was amazing the amount of matchgoers buying rolls sweets water etc ...
    Dublin might be booming but disposable income is low in many parts of munster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

hurler32 wrote: »
    To be fair there was a very big limerick crowd yesterday ( brilliant picture on front page of examiner sports part with all the green on open stand behind Gillane after goal ) . Handy Clare crowd .. but it is 4 matchs in 5 weeks with families and money still tight in most houses . Even my young fellow fed up of sweet prices under stand wanted to go to Lidl beside gg before game to stock up and it was amazing the amount of matchgoers buying rolls sweets water etc ...
    Dublin might be booming but disposable income is low in many parts of munster

In fairness, yeah you're right about the hectic schedule; very difficult to go to every game if you're bringing the whole family along. You'll often see families and depending on the ages of the children very often the parents barely even get to watch the game because they have to keep on top of keeping the kids happy and fed and brought to the bathroom and so on. Tis' not something I'd relish doing more than once a month in those circumstances!!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

We attended a few games last year and to my first ever All Ireland Final. My DH is a wheelchair user so we were extremely well looked after both in the Gaelic Grounds and Croke Park. However, DH not able to face going to matches this year - its being hemmed in - in a car park and being literally the last to leave a car park is a bit of a wait.

Excellent match yesterday, however, the big question is... can Limerick beat Tipp in Thurles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Ive just been sent a whattsapp of limerick young lads fighting against each other at some plave on sunday. Absolute tool bags. I know it probably happens regularly now with all fans but its disappointing to see.
    Also the security after match is getting very noticeable stopping people entering the field after matches. Its also sad to see. I was watching on Sunday some stewards being heralded into position along the perimeter like cattle. Also beggars belief there are some OAPs of both genders given these positions. It was the same last August in Croker. The poor stewards in front of me were bricking it incase i made a jump for it. Somebody would have got injured.

Advertisement