Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

pajoguy wrote: »
    Ive just been sent a whattsapp of limerick young lads fighting against each other at some plave on sunday. Absolute tool bags. I know it probably happens regularly now with all fans but its disappointing to see.
    Also the security after match is getting very noticeable stopping people entering the field after matches. Its also sad to see. I was watching on Sunday some stewards being heralded into position along the perimeter like cattle. Also beggars belief there are some OAPs of both genders given these positions. It was the same last August in Croker. The poor stewards in front of me were bricking it incase i made a jump for it. Somebody would have got injured.

If you are talking about this, these were young fans who got jump by some little aholes on the street who were not at the match. They got their asses handed to them though when some adults came to their rescue

https://twitter.com/irishmirror/status/1138113803978248192?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

dave 27 wrote: »
    How is the venue for the final agreed? I'd assume its mostly on in Semple?

Not many Munster finals in the 60s were in Thurles at all. Most were in Limerick. Cork ,Tipp and Limerick have home and away arrangements for Munster finals. Tipp v Clare finals are usually in Cork or Limerick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

slegs wrote: »
    If you are talking about this, these were young fans who got jump by some little aholes on the street who were not at the match. They got their asses handed to them though when some adults came to their rescue

https://twitter.com/irishmirror/status/1138113803978248192?s=21

It was a pub row from the Windmill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

pajoguy wrote: »
    Ive just been sent a whattsapp of limerick young lads fighting against each other at some plave on sunday. Absolute tool bags. I know it probably happens regularly now with all fans but its disappointing to see.
    Also the security after match is getting very noticeable stopping people entering the field after matches. Its also sad to see. I was watching on Sunday some stewards being heralded into position along the perimeter like cattle. Also beggars belief there are some OAPs of both genders given these positions. It was the same last August in Croker. The poor stewards in front of me were bricking it incase i made a jump for it. Somebody would have got injured.

i seen similar videos form tipperary supporters this year too , but its all young lads , i remember the same thing happening in 2013 where a large group of young clare supporters were doing there best to set off a group of limerick supporters

a lot of ****e dose go on between supporters especially in the terraces behind the goals ,

its hurling not soccer , some lads buy into the local derby and local rivalries stuff a bit too much , there was a similar incediant between some clare and limerick supporters last year too

while the atmosphere was excellent in the city end yesterday the gaa will probably have to go back to segregating the terraces and putting stricter security on the pubs in around the towns , thurles rarely sees trouble because the pubs in and around the town are set up and ready for the big crowds and dont take any nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

bigpink wrote: »
    It was a pub row from the Windmill

The footage i got was from inside the pub id say in an outdoor section. Some tools overloaded in cider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Great to get such a big win yesterday, I'm sure the team and management, while not alluding to it in public, were seething inside after Ennis last year and the clare pundits in public saying Clare would have won the ai if only they could get over galway last year.
    Great to see the minors put themselves into a good position to reach the munster final aswell, getting greedy but it would be great for them to get to croke park for the experience of playing there.
    Will be interesting if there will be changes for the Tipp game, done us no harm last year coming from 3rd with games regularly up to the semi, so wouldn't be distraught on not reaching a munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

[

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

angeleyes wrote: »

Excellent match yesterday, however, the big question is... can Limerick beat Tipp in Thurles?

Yes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Home advantage doesn't seem to be quite as important this season. Some impressive away wins in Munster and Leinster already.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Home advantage doesn't seem to be quite as important this season. Some impressive away wins in Munster and Leinster already.

Clare and Waterford have been a shambles.

Cork and Limerick both very flat on opening day..... Cork had the advantage of a game under their belt coming to Limerick. Tipperary have been going flat out since January and put a lot into getting out of Munster this year ... be interesting to see where they are at when things pick up in a few weeks.

But yes, it has thrown up an odd championship so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

Can't make too much judgement on Limerick on the last two games but the work rate appears to be back to what is required, completely misfired for the Cork game. It has been a terrible Munster championship overall really.

Waterford and Clare clearly have issues behind the scenes, what we have seen from those two is not representative of the level they should be playing at. So hammering them - while very important as we're safe in case of a three way tie with Cork and Clare barring a 62 point swing with Clare next weekend those hammering's probably say more about where Clare and Waterford are at unfortunately. Limerick can only beat what's in front of them and it can't be denied that the two performances have been encouraging.

Tipp have been working ferociously hard, hopefully there will be no repeat of last year's lethargic performance on the third successive weekend in Ennis, could be a cracking game if the energy levels are right, if not then Tipp will do damage.

The most important thing was getting out of Munster. What happens next weekend isn't relevant in the grand scheme of things provided we avoid that miraculous 62 point swing with Clare. The most important thing is regardless of the result the players put in a good performance next weekend. The do or die only applies in July (and hopefully beyond!)

Nic_Col wrote: »
    Can't make too much judgement on Limerick on the last two games but the work rate appears to be back to what is required, completely misfired for the Cork game. It has been a terrible Munster championship overall really.

Waterford and Clare clearly have issues behind the scenes, what we have seen from those two is not representative of the level they should be playing at. So hammering them - while very important as we're safe in case of a three way tie with Cork and Clare barring a 62 point swing with Clare next weekend those hammering's probably say more about where Clare and Waterford are at unfortunately. Limerick can only beat what's in front of them and it can't be denied that the two performances have been encouraging.

Tipp have been working ferociously hard, hopefully there will be no repeat of last year's lethargic performance on the third successive weekend in Ennis, could be a cracking game if the energy levels are right, if not then Tipp will do damage.

The most important thing was getting out of Munster. What happens next weekend isn't relevant in the grand scheme of things provided we avoid that miraculous 62 point swing with Clare. The most important thing is regardless of the result the players put in a good performance next weekend. The do or die only applies in July (and hopefully beyond!)

I disagree. Limericks almost perfect performance the last day is what smothered Clare’s performance. It’s the best I’ve seen limerick play in the last two years.

I agree Waterford are a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I disagree. Limericks almost perfect performance the last day is what smothered Clare’s performance. It’s the best I’ve seen limerick play in the last two years.

I agree Waterford are a shambles

I dont think you can overstate how bad Clare were, it was septic as they were against Tipp and they were hanging on by the skin of their teeth against the worst Waterford team in over 20 years.

None of which takes away from Limericks perfromance which was very impressive but Clare are shockingly bad.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I dont think you can overstate how bad Clare were, it was septic as they were against Tipp and they were hanging on by the skin of their teeth against the worst Waterford team in over 20 years.

None of which takes away from Limericks perfromance which was very impressive but Clare are shockingly bad.

Yeah- Clare haven't been this sub par since O'Loughlin was in charge, I don't think I can recall a poorer performance by a Clare team in a Limerick v Clare game. I think Limerick have improved slightly on last year (doesn't necessarily mean we'll win the AI again unfortunately) but Clare have gone alarmingly backwards on last year. Which is a shame because the championship has been poorer because of it.

Yeah- Clare haven't been this sub par since O'Loughlin was in charge, I don't think I can recall a poorer performance by a Clare team in a Limerick v Clare game. I think Limerick have improved slightly on last year (doesn't necessarily mean we'll win the AI again unfortunately) but Clare have gone alarmingly backwards on last year. Which is a shame because the championship has been poorer because of it.

Maybe but I do think there is an element of Limerick (and Tipp/Cork) improving. A small difference in level can seem huge on the pitch in a hurling match.

Limericks almost perfect performance the last day is what smothered Clare’s performance. It’s the best I’ve seen limerick play in the last two years.

This is nearly being lost in the discussion about Clare's woes. Limerick were very good on Sunday. Honestly can never remember a Limerick side as good as this one. It'll never last so we may as well enjoy them while they have this verve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

I wonder will there be a bit of shadow boxing on Sunday especially by Tipp as they'r already qualified

This is nearly being lost in the discussion about Clare's woes. Limerick were very good on Sunday. Honestly can never remember a Limerick side as good as this one. It'll never last so we may as well enjoy them while they have this verve.

It's not being lost- if you choose to take the Clare game strictly at face value then yes, it was a brilliant performance.

But you have to factor in the opposition, it's easy to look brilliant against opposition that clearly are not at their best. We won't beat Tipperary by 18 or 20 points next weekend because just like Limerick at their best, their performances are currently being back-boned by phenomenal work rate.

The top teams should be judged by their performances against the other top teams. Waterford and Clare are not presently at that level.

Appreciating the team we have at the moment and objectively assessing our opposition are not mutually exclusive.

It's far more satisfying to come out on top of a battle with another team on top form than it is to hammer a team that isn't performing at their true potential. A one point win over Tipp this weekend would be far more satisfying than the two hammering's we have given Waterford and Clare.

It's not being lost- if you choose to take the Clare game strictly at face value then yes, it was a brilliant performance.

But you have to factor in the opposition, it's easy to look brilliant against opposition that clearly are not at their best. We won't beat Tipperary by 18 or 20 points next weekend because just like Limerick at their best, their performances are currently being back-boned by phenomenal work rate.

The top teams should be judged by their performances against the other top teams. Waterford and Clare are not presently at that level.

Appreciating the team we have at the moment and objectively assessing our opposition are not mutually exclusive.

It's far more satisfying to come out on top of a battle with another team on top form than it is to hammer a team that isn't performing at their true potential. A one point win over Tipp this weekend would be far more satisfying than the two hammering's we have given Waterford and Clare.

Agree with all that, just think it's important to enjoy this period while we have it too.

I expect Tipp to win on Sunday, they are just a bit ahead of everyone at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭PIORUN

Limerick not getting much credit for last weekend or the previous weekend...media mainly focusing on how bad clare and Watrerford were. Which is a good thing for Limerick going to Thurles..I've a feeling another big win is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

PIORUN wrote: »
    Limerick not getting much credit for last weekend or the previous weekend...media mainly focusing on how bad clare and Watrerford were. Which is a good thing for Limerick going to Thurles..I've a feeling another big win is on the way.

I not so sure about another big win, not this week anyway, tipp Will be out to stop the limerick train from gathering too much steam and he won't rest too many I'm guessing. Looks like only town end terrace left online, gonna be close to a full house!
    Big question is can tipp last on full throttle the full 70 mins against a team who will be like terriers at their ankles.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

As good and all as Sunday was, I'm not one for bigging up teams too much. The reality is your never as good nor as bad as you think depending on how a result goes (despite how bad Clare were the other day they could trouble cork yet). We have to give the same level of performance and more to get anything out of Sunday

Is it any wonder why our county has a reputation of overdoing hype and getting completely carried away. It in no way helps the players. Ever wondered why Kiely and Dowling basically told the Limerick public to back off and leave them alone after the semi final last year?

Not long ago there were comments on this very thread to the effect of "We're going to walk all over Cork". Look how that turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭raindodger

Is this starting to sound like a repeat of last year when we never got credit for the wins that we achieved all the only for but if talk.
    Lets take the wins and enjoy a great set up.

Also, I don't know why some are getting so bent out of shape if any one dares say anything other than "Limerick are awesome, they're looking unbeatable, etc." They have actually been receiving plenty of praise.

There is always a bigger picture. It is possible to try and analyse the picture as a whole AND be very happy with how things are going. It's nonsensical to focus only on the good and get bent out of shape if anyone dares look a little deeper.

It's reasonable to ask the question "Why have Limerick been so impressive in their last two games?" and it's reasonable to look at the two teams we played and analysis how they played.

Limerick have responded well to the Cork game. But there will be no beating the likes of Tipperary, Cork, Kilkenny or Galway by 18 and 20 points. There are reasons for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭PIORUN

Is it any wonder why our county has a reputation of overdoing hype and getting completely carried away. It in no way helps the players. Ever wondered why Kiely and Dowling basically told the Limerick public to back off and leave them alone after the semi final last year?

Not long ago there were comments on this very thread to the effect of "We're going to walk all over Cork". Look how that turned out.
    theres a thin line between being confident in a team flying it and overhyping a sub standard team...I'm gonig with the former.

theres a thin line between being confident in a team flying it and overhyping a sub standard team...I'm gonig with the former.

No, you're over-hyping a good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

I expect Tipp to win on Sunday, they are just a bit ahead of everyone at the minute.

I heard this being said by a couple of people. I can't see where people are making this judgement from. Tipp played a Cork team who were flat and stuck to ground. A poor Waterford team and a poor Clare team.
    I just can't see how people think there a head of any other teams at the moment. Tipp have played no team of any real quality yet. Sunday will be the test.

• Advertisement

Sunday could actually be a more competitive game than the Munster Final. Once in the top 2 the pressure is really off for the AI series especially with the loser of Munster meeting the 3 placed Leinster team in the QF

Advertisement