Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Walking out if the ground today i heard 2 tipp men chattin. One lad says "they had a soft all ireland last year in fairness." The other lad nodded in agreement.... we pretty much beat every county bar clare last year to win it. Tipp, waterford, cork, kilkenny and galway.
    They went at us full tilt and struggled to shake us off. Roll on 2 weeks time. In limerick we have a great chance. I think we are probably 6 point better team on our day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

pajoguy wrote: »
    Walking out if the ground today i heard 2 tipp men chattin. One lad says "they had a soft all ireland last year in fairness." The other lad nodded in agreement.... we pretty much beat every county bar clare last year to win it. Tipp, waterford, cork, kilkenny and galway.
    They went at us full tilt and struggled to shake us off. Roll on 2 weeks time. In limerick we have a great chance. I think we are probably 6 point better team on our day.

How can you possibly say that last line going on the Championship so far this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

callaway92 wrote: »
    How can you possibly say that last line going on the Championship so far this year?

Tipp caught cork cold the first day. Beat waterford and clare out the gate. Beat us by 4 points going full tilt. We were a good bit off but will improve with full strength 15. Fair enough 6 points might be much but most analysis says tipp will win all ireland hands down. I cant see that beased on today. We will learn enough from today. We had way more joy down the side lines than trying to play thro the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

‘Caught Cork cold the first day’..

Come on with the clichès man. Clare got them cold today too I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

pajoguy wrote: »
    Tipp caught cork cold the first day. Beat waterford and clare out the gate. Beat us by 4 points going full tilt. We were a good bit off but will improve with full strength 15. Fair enough 6 points might be much but most analysis says tipp will win all ireland hands down. We will learn enough from today. We had way more joy down the side lines than trying to play thro the centre.

I think Tipp have another gear on top of what they showed today - they hit a lot of wides and missed a few goal chances. Injuries could scupper them a bit, Bonnar would be a huge loss to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Fellas done more to get off the team sadly, Graeme plays a half and is still our best forward, Kyle worked like a dog was gassed on 60, Dan's legs were like lead on 50 mins, don't think the game lacked intensity as said on radio

Byrnes and pat Ryan only ones to run at the opposition and cause them trouble

Passing and handling by backs and midfield was dire (Flanagan's touch was criminal 😂)

We'll win in 2 weeks but don't think we have solved any problems

Could wod be our 3rd best half back? He's in trouble when he goes forward but is great to win ball
    Sloppy enough today, the ball really didnt stick in the forward line at all, Casey, Flanagan, Dowling and Morrissey were poor today, and the delivery was not up to par..you could see when boylan was sent out rather than hegarty that kiely was not going 100% for this today, we'll see a different level of intensity next day, when theyre in the final they'll want to win it.
    Great to have a home munster final with minors and seniors in it, 2 munsters would be great, enjoy it when we can!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Great training session yesterday - Kiely learned a lot..... Sheedy was on the sideline going crazy shouting his players on for about 50 mins and then when he saw the Limerick subs he finally twigged Kiely was only treating it as a challenge game. 2 big injuries for Tipp and their hand as good as played - Kiely will be very happy. There's certainly another gear in Tipp and they still have the best stick-men in the country, but there's an awful lot more to come from Limerick - they were strolling around yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Great training session yesterday - Kiely learned a lot..... Sheedy was on the sideline going crazy shouting his players on for about 50 mins and then when he saw the Limerick subs he finally twigged Kiely was only treating it as a challenge game. 2 big injuries for Tipp and their hand as good as played - Kiely will be very happy. There's certainly another gear in Tipp and they still have the best stick-men in the country, but there's an awful lot more to come from Limerick - they were strolling around yesterday.
    Don't think either side were going full tilt to be fair. Very unfortunate for Bonner Maher yesterday . The Munster final will be a much tougher game for both sides, I don't subscribe to the notion that it's advantage Limerick after yesterday. It's dangerous talk- Tipperary certainly have the forwards to put up a big score and win it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

PhuckHugh wrote: »

Not quite as ridiculous as your proclamation that we were going to "walk all over" Cork but it's close.

Limerick wanted to make it to a Munster final, the only way they could have made certain of that yesterday was to win. Otherwise we needed a favour from Clare.

Kiely would never take the approach you have outlined to a game.

And to be honest talk like that just smacks of being a sore loser. Tipp deserved their win, they beat us fair and square. We are well placed to get them back in two weeks time but it won't be easy. For now let them have their moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Good post...think Kiely will be disappointed with how the changes from Clare game performed, those lads will be disappointed themselves as well. In fairness Tipp are slick with the ball and the way they free lads up for scores, very quick hands and little flicks....and that will only improve as summer goes on. I expect a ding dong battle in two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭letsseehere14

Two things worrying me from yesterdays game. Not just the fact that we lost again, it was always a big ask to go to Tipp and win, never mind Tipp going so well and our 3rd game in 15 days. Not winning isnt the only issue for me.
    I also think that due to the circumstances of the game, neither team was going to be at full tilt, its only natural, even if both teams planned to go full tilt, subconsiously, most players knew it was not do or die.

The two things that really bothered me are:
    1. the players we brought in were handed a chance to show us what they were made of, and to put their hands up for a starting position. They did not do that. Regardless of us having to win or not, individually this was their opportunity to show up against their biggest challengers this year. Our great depth has been shown as not as deep as people think. No way would these players get that chance and not try their very hardest. Flanagan hasnt been starting this year, we saw why yesterday. Dowling, a player I have admired for years, showed he is not up to the rest. Casey even was well contained.
    2. the ease at which people are talking their way around the losses. Yes we lost and it was a game we were always going to struggle to win. You dont get many wins in Thurles, especially when Tipp are going well and it was our 3rd game in 15 days. But it was still our second defeat of the round robin. We only defeated two teams going poorly this year. There seems to be a blind assumption among a lot of fans this year that its all part of a plan. The amount of people I have heard say 'sure we didnt want to win it today anyway, we'd be showing our hand' or 'we only need to beat them once, when we get to the final', or 'we only wanted 3rd in Munster, its a better route to take'.
    People seem to have lost the run of themselves and feel that its our god given right to be in the AI final this year. People also saying how shrude Kiely was not going full throttle, how Tipp have shown their hand. Well I'm sorry but Tipp were as far off there best yesterday as we were.
    Cork and now Tipp have shown everyone how to get at us. Pressure the half back and middle third, make us release early or force us into short passes leading to mistakes, Mark Gillane tightly break the ball and dont let him get it into his hand. Wexford and Kilkenny will have taken note.

Can we still win the AI, of course.
    Are we still one of the best teams in the competition, of course.
    Will we be a match or more then a mathc for Tipp in 2 weeks, I hope so, theyre capable of it.
    Have we shown that so far? No.
    Is there a possibility we wont be able to just turn it on against sides better than Clare or Waterford. Most certainly. Had 2 opportunites already and we havnt delivered.

We have lost 2 matches. We have been well beaten by Cork and Tipperary,. We have to put in a performance in two weeks or else self doubt and public pressure will start to mount. Not everything is a masterplan by Kiely. We are well capable of being outplayed by other teams and people need to remember that. If we lose our 3rd match to Tipp/Cork this year that is going to have an effect on the team. The invincible feeling cannot be maintained by self confidence and man management alone. At some stage the performances and results have to start to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

Excellent post & 100 % spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Will there be stand tickets for sale this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Heard today there will be none on general sale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Two things worrying me from yesterdays game. Not just the fact that we lost again, it was always a big ask to go to Tipp and win, never mind Tipp going so well and our 3rd game in 15 days. Not winning isnt the only issue for me.
    I also think that due to the circumstances of the game, neither team was going to be at full tilt, its only natural, even if both teams planned to go full tilt, subconsiously, most players knew it was not do or die.

1. the players we brought in were handed a chance to show us what they were made of, and to put their hands up for a starting position. They did not do that. Regardless of us having to win or not, individually this was their opportunity to show up against their biggest challengers this year. Our great depth has been shown as not as deep as people think. No way would these players get that chance and not try their very hardest. Flanagan hasnt been starting this year, we saw why yesterday. Dowling, a player I have admired for years, showed he is not up to the rest. Casey even was well contained.
    2. the ease at which people are talking their way around the losses. Yes we lost and it was a game we were always going to struggle to win. You dont get many wins in Thurles, especially when Tipp are going well and it was our 3rd game in 15 days. But it was still our second defeat of the round robin. We only defeated two teams going poorly this year. There seems to be a blind assumption among a lot of fans this year that its all part of a plan. The amount of people I have heard say 'sure we didnt want to win it today anyway, we'd be showing our hand' or 'we only need to beat them once, when we get to the final', or 'we only wanted 3rd in Munster, its a better route to take'.
    People seem to have lost the run of themselves and feel that its our god given right to be in the AI final this year. People also saying how shrude Kiely was not going full throttle, how Tipp have shown their hand. Well I'm sorry but Tipp were as far off there best yesterday as we were.
    Cork and now Tipp have shown everyone how to get at us. Pressure the half back and middle third, make us release early or force us into short passes leading to mistakes, Mark Gillane tightly break the ball and dont let him get it into his hand. Wexford and Kilkenny will have taken note.

Will we be a match or more then a mathc for Tipp in 2 weeks, I hope so, theyre capable of it.
    Is there a possibility we wont be able to just turn it on against sides better than Clare or Waterford. Most certainly. Had 2 opportunites already and we havnt delivered.

We have lost 2 matches. We have been well beaten by Cork and Tipperary,. We have to put in a performance in two weeks or else self doubt and public pressure will start to mount. Not everything is a masterplan by Kiely. We are well capable of being outplayed by other teams and people need to remember that. If we lose our 3rd match to Tipp/Cork this year that is going to have an effect on the team. The invincible feeling cannot be maintained by self confidence and man management alone. At some stage the performances and results have to start to back it up.

Agree with all of this. The real question is now do Kiely and Kinnerk have a plan B when the middle third is packed like it was against Tipp and Cork. The supposed out when the short passing off the shoulder stuff ain’t working is to go long to the forwards but if they are well marshaled the outcome is what happened yesterday.

I think the main problem was our first touch yesterday was poor. We had loads of great possession in the first half but it didn’t stick to Flanagan, Casey or Dowling. Hayes and Gillane were very good but they can’t carry the forwards on their own.

The experiment with WoD and O’Loughlin came apart yesterday. They are just not as quick to move the ball as the others. DoD mixed the good with the bad.

With our full team out for Munster Final I think we will be better but so will they.

Though Pat Ryan looked dangerous when he came on and could be a surprise starter the next day with Flanagan and Casey looking off form

Maybe latter end of next week IF clubs return tickets otherwise terrace only on general sale.

Agree with all that tbh. Tipp won pulling up yesterday, despite the injuries. Too many of the players brought in showed why they aren't starters as opposed to winning their starting spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I think pat ryan did well probably only one of the normal non starters to do so. We can say what we want about wanting to win or not but how can we explain him not starting some of our top guys?? Just doesn't add up if they were gung ho to win this match

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

lim4ev wrote: »
    I think pat ryan did well probably only one of the normal non starters to do so. We can say what we want about wanting to win or not but how can we explain him not starting some of our top guys?? Just doesn't add up if they were gung ho to win this match

I think you've answered your own question there..

lim4ev wrote: »

Pat Ryan poses the same conundrum as Dowling, much more effective at finishing a game than he is at starting.

Our strength in depth is a bit of a myth, we don't have 25+ starters, but what we do have is around 18 starters and around 8 finishers. Which in itself represents good strength in depth, just not in the way many seem to think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

A lot of the problem on sunday was flanagans touch, a large part of the game was to isolate him 1 on 1 which they did but he fluffed everytime and the ball was cleared, even going back to the al ireland where he played well his touch was still dire, one of our goals came from him spilling the ball to Tom morrissey!

We onlt won the knock out games last year by 2, 0 & 1 points so as said the notion we have a divine right to win is fanciful, that said we can still do it but need to adjust a few things

Teach richie english how to hand pass the ball (seriously if they have to get Dj carey in then do it)
    Sort out the over passing, Dan, POL, Richie, WOD overdo it and are laboured need to be getting quicker ball in, corner backs be stuck to their men by time we play it in

Dowling is a FF if starting only
    Pat Ryan needs to be told he can also pass to free men in the square or lash over a point
    Boylan needed to turn and take his man on and win frees or score a la hegarty
    Collectively needed to take on the opposition or deliver quicker ball

A lot of the problem on sunday was flanagans touch, a large part of the game was to isolate him 1 on 1 which they did but he fluffed everytime and the ball was cleared, even going back to the al ireland where he played well his touch was still dire, one of our goals came from him spilling the ball to Tom morrissey!

We onlt won the knock out games last year by 2, 0 & 1 points so as said the notion we have a divine right to win is fanciful, that said we can still do it but need to adjust a few things

Teach richie english how to hand pass the ball (seriously if they have to get Dj carey in then do it)
    Sort out the over passing, Dan, POL, Richie, WOD overdo it and are laboured need to be getting quicker ball in, corner backs be stuck to their men by time we play it in

Dowling is a FF if starting only
    Pat Ryan needs to be told he can also pass to free men in the square or lash over a point
    Boylan needed to turn and take his man on and win frees or score a la hegarty
    Collectively needed to take on the opposition or deliver quicker ball

Flanagan broke a finger early did he not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Fair enough if he did........bad run of luck for him if so

Fair enough if he did........bad run of luck for him if so

He'll be fine for the next day.

He should have hand passed that goal chance all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭PIORUN

Verney on Off the Ball reckons Cian Lynch was dropped and not rested against Tipp. As he was bad the previous week. Madness...

PIORUN wrote: »
    Verney on Off the Ball reckons Cian Lynch was dropped and not rested against Tipp. As he was bad the previous week. Madness...

Dont mind that langer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

PIORUN wrote: »

Cian Lynch is having a great year and a better year tlast year when he was picked as hurler of the year when I don’t think he was even Limericks best midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Christ, was crazy this morning for the tickets, I heard the site crashed after a few mins I was in the queue but gave up after an hour online. I see the city terrace is gone already. I hope they don't take up that whole section in it just got that horrible box that rte were using the last few matches. They had a good area taken up with the bloody thing in the corner! Joanne can annoy us from croke park instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Christ, was crazy this morning for the tickets, I heard the site crashed after a few mins I was in the queue but gave up after an hour online. I see the city terrace is gone already. I hope they don't take up that whole section in it just got that horrible box that rte were using the last few matches. They had a good area taken up with the bloody thing in the corner! Joanne can annoy us from croke park instead!

I reckon there wont be a box the next day as the rte team will be in Croke Park. I would think the commentators will be high in the birds best in the Mackey Stand

• Advertisement

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I reckon there wont be a box the next day as the rte team will be in Croke Park. I would think the commentators will be high in the birds best in the Mackey Stand

They'll be in what birds?

Advertisement