Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    They'll be in what birds?

Birds nest..The journalists area up in the rafters of the Mackey stand. The main centre for the whole days coverage will be Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I saw a green flare go off at the last home match against Clare after got the goal, im wondering will there be loads on the city end terrace on sunday week, the green smoke bombs dont really do the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

pajoguy wrote: »
    Walking out if the ground today i heard 2 tipp men chattin. One lad says "they had a soft all ireland last year in fairness." The other lad nodded in agreement.... we pretty much beat every county bar clare last year to win it. Tipp, waterford, cork, kilkenny and galway.
    They went at us full tilt and struggled to shake us off. Roll on 2 weeks time. In limerick we have a great chance. I think we are probably 6 point better team on our day.
    Tipp caught cork cold the first day. Beat waterford and clare out the gate. Beat us by 4 points going full tilt. We were a good bit off but will improve with full strength 15. Fair enough 6 points might be much but most analysis says tipp will win all ireland hands down. I cant see that beased on today. We will learn enough from today. We had way more joy down the side lines than trying to play thro the centre.

So basically you encountered two idiots from Tipp and you decided that you would return the favour??

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

A supposed sellout for the Munster final. Any idea of attendance?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

A supposed sellout for the Munster final. Any idea of attendance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Pogue eile wrote: »
    So basically you encountered two idiots from Tipp and you decided that you would return the favour??

You dont agree with my opinion so...... it is an opinion shared by most people i have spoken with that limerick will beat tipp on sunday.... its a worrying trend this confidence🙄

Brought it up in work yesterday that I think limerick will beat tipp this sunday and lads were looking at me like I was on something. These lads were from all neighbouring counties now not just tipp. I honestly see us having too much for them including a bench to empty if needed. Now in saying that, if I was a betting man I'd have tipp down for an all ireland final this yr at the very least as no one in Leinster would come close to them!

You dont agree with my opinion so...... it is an opinion shared by most people i have spoken with that limerick will beat tipp on sunday.... its a worrying trend this confidence��

I certainly don't agreey that Tipp were going full tilt or that they 'showed their hand'' at all. The idea that Tipp caught Cork cold seems to be a convenient assumption arrived at to suit your arguement.

Watch a replay of the match again and then watch how Tipp played in their three previous games, Apples and Oranges - they reverted back to the long direct ball as opposed to the low diaganol spoace finding balls to the corners, theis was a very deliberate tactic. The four point margin was also flattering to Limerick in my opinion. Not that it matters as the game itself will have absolutely no relevance come August.

If you wanted to critically analyse Limerick's season like you have done to Tipps, you could say played two teams having their worst seasons in years where both sets of managment are under serious pressure and duly won both and two other teams, actual contenders and lost both games.

Brought it up in work yesterday that I think limerick will beat tipp this sunday and lads were looking at me like I was on something. These lads were from all neighbouring counties now not just tipp. I honestly see us having too much for them including a bench to empty if needed. Now in saying that, if I was a betting man I'd have tipp down for an all ireland final this yr at the very least as no one in Leinster would come close to them!

I would also make Limerick very slight favourtites on Sunday and would also agree that the likelihood is they will face off again in August, however I really don't get this strong bench argument, there is certainly no evidence of it to date. In fact I would say that was the most concerning thing for Kiely from the last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Any injuries for Sunday or is everyone available for selection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Limerick will walk all over Tipp on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

doubt it very much but I do expect them to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

0.5/10. Unoriginal, can do better without much effort.

We are going to walk all over Cork.
    Great training session yesterday - Kiely learned a lot

That's that Tipp arrogance that we are allways hearing about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭billyhead

Any injury concerns apart from Barry Murphy being out for the rest of the championship. Is Hannon doubtful?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

"On Sunday morning the influx of Tipperary hurling fans into Limerick City will begin. As most have their Christening money, staying overnight is not an option. So all along border towns where the 1980's becomes 2019, the Blue & Gold army will traverse from the Game of Thrones era to modern Ireland. There is a misguided perception that some Tipperary fans drive 1970's Ford Cortinas with cassette tape players blasting out Susan McCann's 'Blanket on the ground'. The truth is most of them do. For Limerick and Tipperary people, hurling is a way of life but make no mistake, this is a David & Goliath clash. Tipperary with 27 All-Ireland's, 42 Munster titles, 19 National Hurling Leagues face minnows Limerick with 8 All Ireland's, 19 Munster titles and 12 National Hurling Leagues. In true James Bond style, they gave us the evil Babs Keating and we gave hurling Richie Bennis. They have tin foil sandwiches and we have Donkey Ford's. They are coming to conquer, make no mistake about that.

Nightmare Stuff
    The worst championship experience ever at the hands of Tipperary was 1991. As they dished out a beating to us in Thurles, John Leahy got a ball near where the sideline at the old stand meets the town end line. With Tipperary over ten points up, he curled the most beautiful shot over the bar. The place went nuts. Straw hats, tin foil, brake fluid and small babies were thrown into the air as the Premier marched relentlessly towards the Liam MacCarthy Cup. Along the way Limerick have taken punishment at their hands. A young spritely Ciaran Carey was inspirational at wing forward in the 1989 Munster semi in Cork. A young and fresh Limerick went in at half time 1-7 apiece. Rumour has it that Babs told a story about being overcharged for a 'knobba black puddin' in Limerick City one day and the Tipp lads tore Limerick to shreds in the second half. The final score was 4-18 to 2-11. The era between 1984-1993 was hard to watch.

Famine
    What most younger hurling fans don't realise though is the mighty sandwich eaters went ten years without a championship victory. Limerick beat Tipperary in the 1973 Munster Final and it wasn't until 1983 when they beat Clare in Limerick, that Babs' babies won another game. As a young lad, I was at that game and witnessed the outpouring of emotion when Tipperary beat Clare 2-11 to 1-11. One woman confessed to keeping her son back from first holy communion until Tipp finally won a game. Little Jack, now 17 and an electrician, could take his place with the schoolkids the following week. Tipperary as a county flourished after that win. Local bread manufacturers reported a 5000% rise in sliced pan sales. Shares in cling film sky rocketed and blue and gold rosettes were handed out at mass. Great times to be a Tipperary fan.

The nineties
    Limerick had a great team in the 1990's but ended the decade with no all-Ireland's. Tipperary had a relatively poor decade but ended with one. The Green & White triumphed in the 1992 National Hurling League Final as well as the 1995 & 1996 Championship meetings. But by 1997 Tipp were back to winning ways and usually when they win, it is by a big score, when we win it is a close run thing. As one Tipp lad said to me 'arrr floor is yuuur seeelin'. When I pointed out to Mick Pat that he lived in a bungalow he looked perplexed.

The 00's
    Nicky English set about expelling all arrogance from the Tipperary mindset. As Manager in 99 he had gone close to beating Clare and in 2000 Tipp fell just short in the quarter final to Galway. 2001 was Tipp's perfect year winning 18 and drawing 1 of the games they played. Tipp played with an honesty, as though every player had gone to confession and told of the sins they'd committed. 'Faddder I kished a Limerick girl one night and never phoned her again hee hee'. Tipp beat Limerick in a classic Munster Final in July. Both teams had chances to win it but Declan Ryan's strength proved to be the difference between the teams. After beating Wexford in the semi final they got past Galway in the final. Again the flood of joy was something to behold with Tipperary town rocking to the tunes of Bon Jovi. When local youngsters started chanting 'Def Leppard' council offiicials phoned Dublin Zoo for advice, thinking there was an alert of some sort. As good a hurling team as Tipperary were, they couldn't win the famous trophy back again that decade. The trilogy of games between Limerick & Tipp in 2007 captured the imagination of the public. Ultimately Limerick would lose the All-Ireland final but what a year it was from Richie Bennis' men. Limerick were Limerick - fine hurlers, fine teams, but couldn't stitch it all together. More's the pity. 

The 10's
    The decade started with Liam Sheedy's men producing the most wonderful all Ireland performance of all to stop Kilkenny's quest for five in a row. Just like Nicky English in 2001, Sheedy's third year at the helm proved fruitful. Lar Corbett set the tone early on with a super goal and finished with 3-3. Whisper this quietly but when he scored his third, the Limerick pub I was in actually cheered for Tipp. I didn't see any stripper in the place so I'm pretty sure it was actually a chant in admiration of our near neighbours. Still after all this brilliance though Tipperary's fans refused to eat in normal fast food joints and gathered at the boot of their Skodas to wolf sambos and warm their faces in fleshly open flashks-o-tae. Tipp didn't follow up on that win and in 2014 Limerick beat Tipperary in championship hurling in Thurles for the first time since 1973. TJ Ryan's men inspired by Shane Dowling and Donal O'Grady produced a classic late victory. Limerick ended the season with an epic 2-13 to 0-17 loss to Kilkenny in the Croke Park rain while Tipp took the cats to a replay before also succumbing to Cody's Charges.

In 2016 Tipperay were rightly asking themselves two questions. (i) Why can't this excellent band of hurlers follow up an all-Ireland win with repeated success? (ii) why do we love eating ham sandwiches? The second one there goes alongside Jimmy Hoffa, Lord Lucan and Shergar but the first was solved by Micheal Ryan. Tipperary simply swept Kilkenny aside in the All-Ireland final. I travelled to the game with my brother and there we sat, two lads, Limerick to core as we listened to what seemed like a Bookmaker's office on steroids. 'Tipp, tipp, tipp, tipp, tipp'. Jesus Christ repeat that a thousand times and you'd be fit for vodka. But credit to them, Tipperary were fantastic and seeing players like Seamus Kennedy locating his family in the crows for photos brings home just what hurling means to people in this part of the world.

No self-respecting sports article could ever be complete without mentioning 2018. The most beautiful year of hurling with the best team winning the best competition with the best hurling. I'm not biased, but Christ Limerick were brilliant. Any team who beats Tipperary, Cork, Kilkenny and Galway to win Liam MacCarthy deserve saintly status. As most Limerick people know, the injury time in the final was cruel. Imagine your first pint after lent or getting your first Pirelli calendar when you are 18. Multiply that by a million, add the Donkey Ford's challenge (fish, chip, 4 battered sausages & a canna shtuff) and that is about 10% of what it felt like to be crowned all Ireland champions after 45 years. But that is the past and now comes Sunday ……………

Leads
    History suggest that if Limerick go behind to Tipperary we can pull the game back. We did it in the 1981 Championship, going thirteen points down, forcing a draw and winning the replay. We did it in the 1992 National Hurling League Final, going nine points down and winning a goalless game by one. We also famously did it in 1996 when Tipp led by ten points at half time before Frankie Carroll came off the bench and scored the equaliser allowing Limerick win the replay with Owen O'Neill kicking in goals as quick as a ham & cheese disappears in Clonoulty …………

Little Known Fact 1
    In 1980 Mossy Carroll played in the All-Ireland Final for Limerick. In 1981 he had transferred to Tipperary and played in the draw and replay against Limerick. If a player transferred from one to the other today it could lead to social unrest. Swapping the beautiful Green & White for the Blue & gold is such a serious offence that you'd lose access to the Chicken Hut, Thomond Park, you'd have to give back any Rubber Bandits media that you have.

Little known fact 2
    A Tipp man I know who plays with a non-Tipp Town club, was recently chatting to a girl on Tinder. He asked her where she was from and she said 'Tipperary Town'. He told me 'I didn't think they had technology down there'. If people from county Tipperary are saying that about people from Tipperary Town, it speaks volumes. I just hope for both their sakes their marches, banners and protests do bring them electricity across the county and they can continue with a blossoming relationship.

Sunday
    The final game in the Munster Championship round robin series was somewhat of a shadow boxing contest. All-Ireland champions Limerick were in the home of hurling and Tipperary didn't want to lose this one. It is difficult to know if both sides went at it with the vigour they can produce. Sunday is mouthwatering. We welcome a team with a 100% championship record so far without the superb Patrick Maher. Maher's work rate for Tipperary has been a launching pad for success for many a year. It was genuinely disappointing to see such a great player get a serious injury and sincere best of luck to him in his recovery. For Limerick, a number of players should be restored which will make this a different game to the Thurles slugfest. The prospects of losing are sickening. Tipp FM will probably raise their transmitter 40 ft higher into the air to reach all parts of Limerick. Babs Keating will probably claim that he masterminded the victory and Niall Quinn will appear out of nowhere on the terrace with a Tipp shirt. 

Bucket there please .....

Verdict
    Despite all the slagging between the counties, Tipp fans are just like us. They want their team to do it, we want Limerick to crush them so bad they give a bye to their quarter final opponents out of embarrassment. But this is hurling, the greatest game in the world. May the best team (Limerick) win.

Luimneach Abú"

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Have 1x Clare end terrace ticket, looking to swap for a city end ticket..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I’ve 2 tickets in Mackey stand block 102 row aa

I’m presuming it’s the front row. It’s down the corner. Will I see anything? !!

Or I’ve the option of row g in the far comer block I’m the uncovered stand.

Where would I see more?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

digzy wrote:
    I’ve 2 tickets in Mackey stand block 102 row aa

Row aa is 27 rows up from pitch side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Have 2 city end terrace tickets available - face value if anyone interested?

Sorry if this isn't allowed in this thread!

• Advertisement

What are people's idea of a score for Sunday, I'll start the ball rolling. Lmk 1-26 Tipp 2-19

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

Wheres the best place to park for someone with mobility issues? Will the Ardu/Greenhills / Woodfield House allow parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

fran38 wrote: »
    Wheres the best place to park for someone with mobility issues? Will the Ardu/Greenhills / Woodfield House allow parking?

I'd try go down the North Circular Road and it's a short walk up either Rose's Avenue or the Avenue beside Centra in front of the Mackey Stand.
    Or if course the best kept Clare secret . Out the Shannon dual carriage way and back in the old Cratloe road to Clare view . 2 minute walk to the Grounds. People can leave Sixmilebridge and be st Thomond Park in 14 minutes on a match day in rugby or hurling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

fran38 wrote: »

Go into the Garda station with your disability badge and they will give you a permit to drive down near it

Teams names for Sunday...
    LIMERICK: Nickie Quaid (Effin); Sean Finn (Bruff), Mike Casey (Na Piarsaigh), Richie English (Doon); Diarmaid Byrnes (Patrickswell), Declan Hannon (Adare), Dan Morrissey (Ahane); Cian Lynch (Patrickswell), William O’Donoghue (Na Piarsaigh); Gearoid Hegarty (St Patricks), Kyle Hayes (Kildimo-Pallaskenry), Tom Morrissey (Ahane); Aaron Gillane (Patrickswell), Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock), Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh). Subs: Barry Hennessy (Kilmallock), Tom Condon (Knockaderry), Aaron Costello (Kilmallock), Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh), Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh-Castlemahon), Barry Nash (South Liberties), Darragh O’Donovan (Doon), Paddy O’Loughlin (Kilmallock), David Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca), Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen), Pat Ryan (Doon).

TIPPERARY: Brian Hogan; Cathal Barrett, James Barry, Sean O'Brien; Brendan Maher, Padraic Maher, Ronan Maher; Michael Breen, Noel McGrath; Jason Forde, John O'Dwyer, Dan McCormack; John McGrath, Seamus Callanan, Jake Morris.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Fair to say that's the strongest possible side for both teams? (Maher excepted.)

Should be a belter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Good man yourself! :D

Luimneach abú!

Brilliant performance by all 15 but like I said earlier that Tipp team have too many miles on the clock and they were shown up today.Roll on the semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Beat them up a stick.

Just suffocated Tipp today in a similar way to the demolition job on Clare.

Very satisfying win. We showed our propensity to make a hero out of the opposition goalkeeper again which wasn't ideal. Some lovely scores taken in the second half with the wind. Kyle Hayes with a huge performance and battling all day. Plenty to work on - should have had Tipp packed up in a box and sent back to cashel much earlier than we did.

The challenge now is to mind the gap to the semi final. Cork will cause us an ocean of problems with their pace and we still haven't found an answer for Daniel Kearney.

Think Tipp will bounce back too and they'll have plenty hurt for any rematch that may arise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I had an opinion and only an opinion that we were 6 points a better team than tipp. Apparently i didnt know what i was talking about. But hey its an opinion not a fact.
    Age profile told a hell of alot today. Id say we caught tipp cold but that would only be another cliche!!!!
    When we are at our best tipp wont live with us but thats too many cliches for some for one message. Hon limerick roll on croker!

Advertisement