Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sandy lane

On reflection, use of word indecisive a little harsh on John Kiely. Agree he is more democratic in his approach than Brian Cody. Mark of the man, he will take on board and learn from any mistakes made on sideline. His honesty and that of his players is impressive and augurs well for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

greenspurs wrote: »
    It is a tongue in cheek one lads. Im glad yee could get it as supporters from other counties got really upset about it !

Should be a great game on Sat evening, and we are probably going with hope more than expectation, as yee are the best team in the country by a long distance.

If we can stay close to yee til half time, it could be close, but if we don't... it could be like Nowlan Pk in the league.
    Anyway, lets hope we get a humdinger, and the best team will win.

KK Abú :)

I got my humdinger , :)

Hard luck to yee, Its so hard to take.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭shockframe

Fair play to the squad and management for a great year. Saturday was disappointing but we won Munster and the National Leagues in the same year for the first time since 1936. Titles don't come around that often so on top of 2018 we have been spoiled the last 18 months.

Missing that 65 at the end was shoddy and we we hard done by but we just didn't do enough over the 70 minutes to earn a draw. Kilkenny's workrate and desire is off the scale. They are nowhere near the formidable side they once were but you have to admire them. They get the absolute max out of what they have.

Kilkenny tore into us from the get go and unsettled a lot of our big players. Not taking chances was a bit of a flaw last year and 15 wides is not a good stat.
    How we rallied was admirable but we could never get level which might have turned it around.

I said it way back that I didn't fancy our chances of winning this years All Ireland. We got a bit of luck on our side that deserted us last Saturday. It's hard to ignore how big a deal it is to retain an All Ireland after such a long gap. Only Meath in the late 80s managed to follow it up. Even the GOAT's like Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Kilkenny, Tipp, Cork haven't managed to follow up a first All Ireland win.

The post All-Ireland high is something you cant avoid either. The parades, the celebrations, TV/Podcast focus, General Publicity, Photos. It's hard to maintain that iron will to win that was there the year before.

What helped last year was that we were way ahead of schedule with a style almost alien to us. We only played in a 3 month period last season which didn't give teams enough time to grasp what we were about. Teams have 7 to 8 months this time around to figure us out. And teams that weren't celebrating like we were in the winter.

Would have been nice to win 2 in a row but our squad for all its youth has had to carry a lot of baggage the last few years. The core of players at 23/24 have been in the spotlight since the Under 16 2012 All Ireland win and since the 2013 Minors we have qualified for at least 1 All Ireland semi final in a grade in 5 of the last 7 years. The likes of Finn, Caseyx2, English, Lynch, Morrissey, Nash, Flanagan, O'donovan,Gillane have played quite a lot of hurling in that time. Lynch for someone about 22 seems like a veteran already. And theres also the Na Piarsaigh with gruelling club runs in the last 8 years and Gearoid Hegarty with 6 seasons with 2 years in the Football squad. We would hit a wall eventually.

Holding Kinnerk and Kiely is key. I'd be confident that we are in a good place in the years ahead but a change of management could unsettle us. We botched it in 2013 with the joint management. Hopefully we will be good to go again next year.

Will probably need to bring in at least 4 or 5 new players into the squad next season. The defence is a bit shaky and an addition to the forwards would be ideal. At least with a clear run of club games till November we should have new faces emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭roverjoyce

Grats wrote: »
    The mistake is often made in awarding MOTM to the highest scorer, ignoring work rate. You clearly make the same mistake. TJ Reid was super and was recognised to be so by observant and shrewd followers of hurling.
    How Can you say that if you were to pick a combined team there would be as Many KK as Limerick
    Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy Mike Casey Sean Finn
    Conor Fogarty Padraig Walsh Diarmaid Byrnes
    Cian Lynch Cillian Buckley
    Walter Walsh TJ Reid Tom Morrissey
    Adrian Mullen Colin Fennelly Aaron Gillane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭shockframe

roverjoyce wrote: »
    How Can you say that if you were to pick a combined team there would be as Many KK as Limerick
    Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy Mike Casey Sean Finn
    Conor Fogarty Padraig Walsh Diarmaid Byrnes
    Cian Lynch Cillian Buckley
    Walter Walsh TJ Reid Tom Morrissey
    Adrian Mullen Colin Fennelly Aaron Gillane

Why bother picking a combined team.It's nonsense talk in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Subjectively, (1) was there a bit too much emphasis put on winning the Munster title, and (2) should the team have been altered somewhat after the Munster final. Brian Cody knew exactly how each of the team play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Lads, Just a view from an outsider (albeit with an Ahane connection) It wasn't tactics or selection before the game that lost it. It was some of the decision making by players taking on shots, 16 wides are what cost Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Intensity + accuracy + TJ Reid , about sums up the difference seen at on the scoreboard at game's end

Knew we'd be up against it when little things rising it first time, catching it clean etc were all off. Managed to stay in it somehow and claw back to near parity which is admirable and Kiely should have kicked on with that at halftime and brought Dowling on then.

Fair dues to Cats, they fought like their lives depended on it. They deserve better support than the paltry numbers that were there for them on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Intensity + accuracy + TJ Reid , about sums up the difference seen at on the scoreboard at game's end

Fair dues to Cats, they fought like their lives depended on it. They deserve better support than the paltry numbers that were there for them on the day.

Population of Limerick 195'0000 Fans 35;000 approx 18%
    Population of Kilkenny 98'000 Fans 15000 Approx 16%
    I would not be so quick to call out the Kilkenny supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

For a county like Kilkenny that only focus on 1 sport ( hurling ) it was a poor turnout from them . The team deserve a better turnout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

You're wasting your time spelling out the above. If posters from other counties don't understand population numbers there's little point in arguing. Each county we beat brings up this, a source of comfort for them when they're beaten I guess. Kilkenny have a core support who follow their team throughout the year. When it comes to the bigger match days that support rises. But it doesn't rise anything like that of other counties. In other words we don't have as many on the bandwagon.

By the way, Kilkenny had a way bigger percentage of their match day supporters in attendance for the minor game. We do appreciate our hurling.

As I'm on the Limerick thread, I'd like yo say how much I admired your team in the last 12 months. While I felt we had improved since last year, I felt if Limerick did likewise we wouldn't win. We just about did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

shockframe wrote: »
    Fair play to the squad and management for a great year. Saturday was disappointing but we won Munster and the National Leagues in the same year for the first time since 1936. Titles don't come around that often so on top of 2018 we have been spoiled the last 18 months.

Missing that 65 at the end was shoddy and we we hard done by but we just didn't do enough over the 70 minutes to earn a draw. Kilkenny's workrate and desire is off the scale. They are nowhere near the formidable side they once were but you have to admire them. They get the absolute max out of what they have.

Kilkenny tore into us from the get go and unsettled a lot of our big players. Not taking chances was a bit of a flaw last year and 15 wides is not a good stat.
    How we rallied was admirable but we could never get level which might have turned it around.

I said it way back that I didn't fancy our chances of winning this years All Ireland. We got a bit of luck on our side that deserted us last Saturday. It's hard to ignore how big a deal it is to retain an All Ireland after such a long gap. Only Meath in the late 80s managed to follow it up. Even the GOAT's like Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Kilkenny, Tipp, Cork haven't managed to follow up a first All Ireland win.

The post All-Ireland high is something you cant avoid either. The parades, the celebrations, TV/Podcast focus, General Publicity, Photos. It's hard to maintain that iron will to win that was there the year before.

What helped last year was that we were way ahead of schedule with a style almost alien to us. We only played in a 3 month period last season which didn't give teams enough time to grasp what we were about. Teams have 7 to 8 months this time around to figure us out. And teams that weren't celebrating like we were in the winter.

Would have been nice to win 2 in a row but our squad for all its youth has had to carry a lot of baggage the last few years. The core of players at 23/24 have been in the spotlight since the Under 16 2012 All Ireland win and since the 2013 Minors we have qualified for at least 1 All Ireland semi final in a grade in 5 of the last 7 years. The likes of Finn, Caseyx2, English, Lynch, Morrissey, Nash, Flanagan, O'donovan,Gillane have played quite a lot of hurling in that time. Lynch for someone about 22 seems like a veteran already. And theres also the Na Piarsaigh with gruelling club runs in the last 8 years and Gearoid Hegarty with 6 seasons with 2 years in the Football squad. We would hit a wall eventually.

Holding Kinnerk and Kiely is key. I'd be confident that we are in a good place in the years ahead but a change of management could unsettle us. We botched it in 2013 with the joint management. Hopefully we will be good to go again next year.

Will probably need to bring in at least 4 or 5 new players into the squad next season. The defence is a bit shaky and an addition to the forwards would be ideal. At least with a clear run of club games till November we should have new faces emerging.

Well said, what an 18 months.....take a rest lads and win it next year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

It's a pity that the person who took that started recording just after the sideline was awarded, otherwise we might have visually confirmation that it was a Kilkenny line ball in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

And a pity he didn’t video the 3 or 4 times limerick forwards were pushed in the back running out to the ball

High bike wrote: »
    And a pity he didn’t video the 3 or 4 times limerick forwards were pushed in the back running out to the ball

And The Sunday Game have footage of Gillane fouling Lawlor before Limerick were awarded the penalty. Plus Gillane striking the ball inside the 20m line.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

It’s hard to see how the linesman missed it.....it’s different to other incidents in the match that happen so fast as for this the play is stopped, he is standing close to a stationary ball and still misses it...anyway it’s over and done with now so a waste of time arguing about it.

And The Sunday Game have footage of Gillane fouling Lawlor before Limerick were awarded the penalty. Plus Gillane striking the ball inside the 20m line.
    you forgot the number of steps Fennely took with the ball in his hand, and the Red card Buckley should have got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Greensoup wrote: »
    It’s hard to see how the linesman missed it.....it’s different to other incidents in the match that happen so fast as for this the play is stopped, he is standing close to a stationary ball and still misses it...anyway it’s over and done with now so a waste of time arguing about it.

It's actually very easy to see how he missed it, understandably he had positioned himself where he thought best to see the action, assuming that, like almost everyone else in the ground, the ball was going to be landing around the goal if not going over. As it happened this position being almost level with Buckley meant he was possibly in the worst position to see what was a faint deflection

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Part of linesman remit is also to make sure sliothar isn’t fouled in process as happened limerick against tipp in Thurles this year. So he wasn’t watching what he was supposed to.....and still flight of ball changed right in front of him and it was obvious where I was sitting 10 yards up in Cusack behind him. Anyway it’s not worth arguing about, game over, moving on.

• Advertisement

you forgot the number of steps Fennely took with the ball in his hand, and the Red card Buckley should have got

At least you're not disputing the penalty that was incorrectly awarded.

At least you're not disputing the penalty that was incorrectly awarded.
    the penalty was 100% a penalty by the rules of the game, what happened before I don’t know as I didn’t see it and neither obviously did the ref,umpires or the linesman just like the didn’t see the ball being deflected for a 65

the penalty was 100% a penalty by the rules of the game, what happened before I don’t know as I didn’t see it and neither obviously did the ref,umpires or the linesman just like the didn’t see the ball being deflected for a 65

Good, we all agree the ref and his officials were poor throughout. And in any case the best team won, just like last year when the ref cocked up too.

Look forward to seeing that Limerick team bounce back next year. They were a breath of fresh air. No shame in failing back to back titles, it's very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

Grats wrote:
    Look forward to seeing that Limerick team bounce back next year. They were a breath of fresh air. No shame in failing back to back titles, it's very difficult.

Agree with all that... team needs bit freshning up next yr, do you think Kiely will stay on, think he's 3 year term is up, personally hope he stays along with kinnerk

warfie35 wrote: »
    Agree with all that... team needs bit freshning up next yr, do you think Kiely will stay on, think he's 3 year term is up, personally hope he stays along with kinnerk
    Dont see Kiely walking away I’d expect a serious run out of that team again next year

Won't be any easier next year. Cork, Waterford and Clare with perhaps new management teams will be better equipped. Galway will be back refreshed after early exit. Kilkenny are making steady progress with their rebuilding and Tipp, with new young talent emerging, will be dangerous should they lose this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

Looking back now is easy but hammering Tipp in the Munster final probably sent them on a better path which ultimately won them the All Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

If they ever manage to get the best out of Gillane and Flanagan and stop the wides then they have a great chance. However I think the wides will catch them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Age profile suggests they will be around for a while but no guarantees they can win another one. Thought Clare would win a few after 2013. Think they would have put up a better show than Kilkenny today though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭1373

big_drive wrote: »
    Looking back now is easy but hammering Tipp in the Munster final probably sent them on a better path which ultimately won them the All Ireland

As a Tipp man , the beating from ye set us on a much better path to victory today . Ye got a long lay off and a day out V cork or kilkenny whereas we got the easiest of all options . I doubt we would have defeat ye in an all ireland

Advertisement