Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Great to have limerick talking hurling again as said above, but making players tog out on the 20th of December is ridiculous, I always taught January was bad enough,

In my opinion these competitions should be played in February with the league in March and April, get rid of the club month, I doubt it did any club any favours in the limerick championship, it was ignored in clare and rightly so, too early for club championship

And screw the club player again? No it's time to do away with these pre season competitions.. Club hurling needs to run parallel with the county in Summer. And all counties should be stopped running off their Championships in September and October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

BloodyBill wrote: »
    And screw the club player again? No it's time to do away with these pre season competitions.. Club hurling needs to run parallel with the county in Summer. And all counties should be stopped running off their Championships in September and October.

That club month in April is a joke, club players getting up for championship games then told to wait until August for there next round

The way things are gone now with people travelling abroad in the summer an that its not working out too bad for some people to start in August

However you are right there should be designated club weekends throughout June July and August to run club championships, it could prove problematic for counties like clare and limerick that would be trying to run off two codes at the same time,

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Were you never young, stupid or naive yourself? I'm sure they regret what they did, but for me, let he without sin cast the first stone!

I have. A friend who attempted to break up a fight was killed when hit & fell, hitting his head on the curb. And a second during a college "pub crawl" just down the road in Newport. it happens. why is one name getting tossed about, while others are a secret to those of us not in the loop. Not that it matters. Well, it does to the team & county.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭billyhead

That club month in April is a joke, club players getting up for championship games then told to wait until August for there next round

The way things are gone now with people travelling abroad in the summer an that its not working out too bad for some people to start in August

However you are right there should be designated club weekends throughout June July and August to run club championships, it could prove problematic for counties like clare and limerick that would be trying to run off two codes at the same time,

Kilkenny run the club championships through the summer. Micky Harte also allows county players to play for their clubs throughout the summer too. On another note hurling should not be played at this time of year with the state of the pitches.

billyhead wrote: »
    Kilkenny run the club championships through the summer. Micky Harte also allows county players to play for their clubs throughout the summer too. On another note hurling should not be played at this time of year with the state of the pitches.

one county is predominantly hurling the other is predominantly football, both counties brush one code to the side, nearly every county in munster is duel at club level so it wouldn't work here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

billyhead wrote: »
    Kilkenny run the club championships through the summer.

No they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Some impressive play by some Limerick lads putting their hands up. Though DOD was particularly impressive, when he is on form he is an excellent leader on the pitch and really put his hand up, some excellent passes that put Limerick in excellent positions, particularly the assist for the goal. His work rate was something else as well. He has future team captain written all over him when he plays like that.

Barry Nash pulls off something incredible and then 30 seconds later will make a simple blunder, he has the makings and the work rate is top notch, but he really needs to sort that out.

David Reidy, Aaron Costello and Paddy O’ Loughlan had super work rate as well, Reidy was all over the place!

Seamus Flanagan was also showing signs of a potential return to 2018 form. Phenomenal work rate that didn’t come to much in the first half, but a couple of tasty points in the second half and the second goal was the result of him taking fine advantage of a Tipp blunder, great work rate as well.

Barry Hennessy was fairly superb in fairness to him, was tested a few times and was properly brave on a couple of occasions.

Great to see competition coming up for the older guys in the squad, suspensions have been handed down and lads have a good chance to make a serious mark during the league, fairly green team overall and they really gave it welly.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Some decade for limerick hurling....started out with the Justin player revolt/disaster in 2010 then 3 Munster minor titles, 3 Munster u21s, 2 all Ireland u21, 2 Munster seniors, a national league and to top it off the holy grail in 2018. A long way from the dark days of spring and summer 2010. Here’s hoping for more silverware in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

flutered wrote: »
    well the objective for this year has been achived, anything extra is a bonus, next year we sup at the top table, kielys detacters are shown up, those of us who had faith have been vindicated, then one swallow etc

This was posted by a very knowledgeable and valued poster in March 2018 after Limerick had beaten Galway in Salthill. A paragraph that echoed most supporters thoughts. Little did we know (or expect) back then that we would go on to win the A.I. with a 19 year old MOTM who would also win young player of the year, Lynch winning senior POTY, and 6 All-Stars.
    Followed up by league and Munster titles in 2019 and coming within a whisker of reaching another senior final.
    The general consensus back was one of total relief that we had finally 'escaped' the curse of Division 1B and competing in 1A would be a major advantage in pursuit of an A.I. title in 2-3 years, given the age profile of the team.
    The management and squad deserve the utmost praise for what they've achieved. Let's hope for more exiting times in the coming decade.
    Only problem is, another half dozen counties will feel they have an equal chance. We live in hope. Roll on 2020...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

conor05 wrote: »
    He has definitely been dropped off the panel for now according to a Patrickswell source.

Whether that is just until the media calms down (Kiely taking a stand) or whether it’s for league aswel I am not sure.

I cannot see Gillane been dropped for championship simply because he is our best forward bar none.

So if he was a quality sub or not an all-star it'd be ok to give him the punishment he deserves? 1-2 year ban from all IC competitions. He didn't just embarrass Limerick, he embarrassed Ireland.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    So if he was a quality sub or not an all-star it'd be ok to give him the punishment he deserves? 1-2 year ban from all IC competitions. He didn't just embarrass Limerick, he embarrassed Ireland.

It was nearly 6 weeks ago, is there any need to keep dragging it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Anyone at match today? Seemed impressive he's trying to broaden the panel my main concern is cover for the fb line so I'm interested to hear how'd Aaron Costello go?

Of course there's other positives but maybe too early to be going on about them

more negative news again today , this time kyle hayes , his court date has been put back until the 6th of may 4 days before the first round of the munster championship game against cork ,

while the limerick panel is still strong do ye think kiely should give the troublemakers in the panel the year off altogether at this stage , i feel sorry for kiely and the genuine limerick supporters , this is a seriously talented side being ruined by indiscipline off the field

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

more negative news again today , this time kyle hayes , his court date has been put back until the 6th of may 4 days before the first round of the munster championship game against cork ,

while the limerick panel is still strong do ye think kiely should give the troublemakers in the panel the year off altogether at this stage , i feel sorry for kiely and the genuine limerick supporters , this is a seriously talented side being ruined by indiscipline off the field

"Being ruined" sounds more like wishful thinking from supporters of competing counties than reality. While not a good thing I don't see this having much if any impact on Limerick's preparations for 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 17,926 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Swamp_Cat wrote: »

This happens on every team not just Limerick. An average player would be cut loose never to be seen again.

The likes of Gillane will be told to keep the head down, train away and you'll be back in once we hit the long evenings. You can't blame them either, Limerick will be going all out for the All Ireland and he's one of the best players.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

its old news at this stage so why keep bringing it up again and again.Ok he made a mistake and it’s going to run its course ,but we don’t need to keep reading about it every second day I thought this was supposed to be a GAA discussion thread.Its only a matter of time before someone else steps out of line and takes the limelight off him and Limerick,in fact it might have happened already in another County in recent days

High bike wrote: »
    its old news at this stage so why keep bringing it up again and again.Ok he made a mistake and it’s going to run its course ,but we don’t need to keep reading about it every second day I thought this was supposed to be a GAA discussion thread.Its only a matter of time before someone else steps out of line and takes the limelight off him and Limerick,in fact it might have happened already in another County in recent days

why bring it up, his case was adjourned yesterday for a file to be sent to the DPP, his case is due 4 days before the cork game in round 1 of the championship

surly it is a distraction to the build up to the game , especially if found guilty the fact is he could miss the game over it is huge

i am not bringing it up , it brought itself up the case was yesterday , i asked the question would limerick be better off with him on the sideline while he is on trial or even for the year

slegs wrote: »
    "Being ruined" sounds more like wishful thinking from supporters of competing counties than reality. While not a good thing I don't see this having much if any impact on Limerick's preparations for 2020

its hardly wishful thinking if you are a clare man , we are most likely not going to challenge or be anywhere near the semi final stage this year ( personal opinion )

it is a distraction on the prep for the cork game if his trial is on 4 days before it so its a fair question to ask

why bring it up, his case was adjourned yesterday for a file to be sent to the DPP, his case is due 4 days before the cork game in round 1 of the championship

surly it is a distraction to the build up to the game , especially if found guilty the fact is he could miss the game over it is huge

i am not bringing it up , it brought itself up the case was yesterday , i asked the question would limerick be better off with him on the sideline while he is on trial or even for the year
    it was on the local newspaper and the local news so everybody knows it was on yesterday, why bring it up here again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

its hardly wishful thinking if you are a clare man , we are most likely not going to challenge or be anywhere near the semi final stage this year ( personal opinion )

it is a distraction on the prep for the cork game if his trial is on 4 days before it so its a fair question to ask

I think it's wishful thinking for any Limerick fan to think this isn't a problem. It's one that can be dealt with and possibly impact limited, but a big test for Kielys management and certainly giving him headaches I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

The panel for the hurling final on saturday has been released. Aaron Gillane made the squad.

I think it's wishful thinking for any Limerick fan to think this isn't a problem. It's one that can be dealt with and possibly impact limited, but a big test for Kielys management and certainly giving him headaches I'm sure.

Its not as big of an issue that some would like to believe. There is always hurling to focus on. Kiely will deal with it and by the time the meat of the year comes around these issues will be irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Funny how we dont talk of the age old problem in Ireland 'Alcohol'. The players involved should be sent on an Alcohol Awareness course and probably told to figure out if they have a positive relationship with the drug.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Funny how we dont talk of the age old problem in Ireland 'Alcohol'. The players involved should be sent on an Alcohol Awareness course and probably told to figure out if they have a positive relationship with the drug.

Plenty of places to talk about alcohol abuse and its effects even here on boards. Its a society wide problem not specific to GAA. Maybe your suggestion has already happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

slegs wrote: »
    Its not as big of an issue that some would like to believe. There is always hurling to focus on. Kiely will deal with it and by the time the meat of the year comes around these issues will be irrelevant

You could be well right, plenty of time to sort it. Just wouldn't dismiss this as a non issue, in my opinion particularly Kyle Hayes as opposed to the NY stuff.

Was actually sceptical of the truth in it till Windys post.

You could be well right, plenty of time to sort it. Just wouldn't dismiss this as a non issue, in my opinion particularly Kyle Hayes as opposed to the NY stuff.

Was actually sceptical of the truth in it till Windys post.

Not a non issue but not as directly linked to Limerick preparation or performance as some pointing out

it was on the local newspaper and the local news so everybody knows it was on yesterday, why bring it up here again

whare else is there to talk about the subjuct , this is after all the limerick gaa discussion thread .....is'nt it

the problem is if the outcome of the case is negative in any way on hayes , the press especially martin brehaney and malachy clerkin in the week ruining up to the cork game would blow it out of all sorts of proportions

i am not trying to do the same by the way , but no manager needs these type of distractions so close to a championship game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

Lads I’m going up from Cork for game tomorrow evening. Hoping to be up for around 6 o’clock. Where is good place to park at that stage of a Saturday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭LMK

big_drive wrote: »
    Lads I’m going up from Cork for game tomorrow evening. Hoping to be up for around 6 o’clock. Where is good place to park at that stage of a Saturday evening?
    I usually swing up left across from the entrance to Na Piarsaigh GAA drive down that road and you can park (housing estate) there's a laneway that exits by Ivans shop - 5 mins to the ground from there.

• Advertisement

big_drive wrote: »
    any where around Ivan’s and a 5 min walk

Advertisement