Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

whare else is there to talk about the subjuct , this is after all the limerick gaa discussion thread .....is'nt it

the problem is if the outcome of the case is negative in any way on hayes , the press especially martin brehaney and malachy clerkin in the week ruining up to the cork game would blow it out of all sorts of proportions

i am not trying to do the same by the way , but no manager needs these type of distractions so close to a championship game

With respect, the above are truisms. There's nothing to discuss about the incident because there's nothing we can sensibly add to the incident. You have succinctly described it, started and ended the conversation. There is nothing to add really.

Hoping for a win tomorrow, interesting to see the Nash experiment continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

With respect, the above are truisms. There's nothing to discuss about the incident because there's nothing we can sensibly add to the incident. You have succinctly described it, started and ended the conversation. There is nothing to add really.

Hoping for a win tomorrow, interesting to see the Nash experiment continue.

Spot on, what are we to say like

Nash is hardly an expt at this stage, he's sure to start unless getting turned over continues to be an issue

Bit of a weaker team with colleges but presumably cork be the same

Super win for the footballers sorry I didn't get stream going earlier

After 4 chronic wides nash steps up and ends the rot. Loving how hes playing

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

After 4 chronic wides nash steps up and ends the rot. Loving jow hes playing

Lovely athlete and great striker of the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Nash and Costello look encouraging esp nash plus he knows where the posts are

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Only 7 of the starting team last night started against Kilkenny last July as well. That’s great for competitiveness of squad and means a good few regular starters will be looking over their shoulders. Be interesting to see team for tipp game in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    So if he was a quality sub or not an all-star it'd be ok to give him the punishment he deserves? 1-2 year ban from all IC competitions. He didn't just embarrass Limerick, he embarrassed Ireland.

That was a good one. :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭raindodger

just great to get back on the pitch again and shift the focus from what has gone on.
    talking about players that are putting their hand up no mention of the goalkeeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

Gillane, despite plenty of rumours from people who had no idea what they were talking about, was never removed from the panel.

He's one of the best players in the country, he made a mistake but I think it's about time people took him down off the crucifix, he's 23 years old, young men are prone to lapses of judgement, with the exception of all those criticising him I'm sure who have never put a foot wrong in their lives. There was no malice in his mistake, being a bit foolish/naiive is hardly crime of the century, he's taken more flak than the person actually involved in the fight.

He was a very lucky man not to get the line early on on Saturday though, and a minute later he scored a great goal. If this were league or championship Cork would rightly be livid at the referee for only showing the yellow card, I'm not sure why the referee opted for yellow, maybe because it's only pre-season, maybe he went a bit easy on him given the heat he's been under the last number of weeks, maybe a bit of both. But he went on to have a strong game.

A lesson learned for him hopefully, opponents will be using the NY incident to wind him up, he was already getting "special" attention before this incident, he'll be getting plenty of verbals about this now from those marking him. It's all about rising above that nonsense and focusing on his own game going forward. A fully tuned in Aaron Gillane is a deadly weapon for us so hopefully our own fans get fully behind our players.

Seems to be some people reading far too much into the Munster Hurling League. Good to see a few fringe players getting game time but Nash aside, there aren't too many of last years starters under threat.

With McCarthy departing and Hickey the year before him, the full back line is in need of cover. Condon and Costello are being given opportunities to that effect but they're both older than Finn, Casey and English. Hopefully at least one of the younger lads (Brian O'Grady, Jerome Boylan, Josh Considine) will make the panel this year and be allowed continue their development in the current set up.

I might be wrong but I believe Downes may be gone now, Dowling and Pat Ryan are long term injuries, forward places are up for grabs. Conor Boylan will probably receive more game time in the league. Adrian Breen will hopefully remain injury free, he's not had the best of luck when it comes to the county team so hopefully he'll get a few chances in the league. This year might be too soon for Darren O'Connell. I wonder if O'Donovan will remain in the half forward line this year? Because between himself; Hayes, Morrissey, Hegarty, Casey, Flanagan, Gillane and Mulcahy; it will be very difficult for any of the fringe players to break into the starting 6 forwards.

It's places on the bench that the fringe forwards are fighting for but we have seen how effective Shane Dowling in particular has been in that role so I wouldn't for a second understate the importance of the forwards that make the bench.

Final point; Graeme Mulcahy, does not get the credit he deserves. Some man to put a shift in, even in the "lesser" competition. With all due respect to Cian Lynch, Mulcahy was our best player in 2018, he was my own pick for HOTY anyway.

• Advertisement

Gillane, despite plenty of rumours from people who had no idea what they were talking about, was never removed from the panel.

He's one of the best players in the country, he made a mistake but I think it's about time people took him down off the crucifix, he's 23 years old, young men are prone to lapses of judgement, with the exception of all those criticising him I'm sure who have never put a foot wrong in their lives. There was no malice in his mistake, being a bit foolish/naiive is hardly crime of the century, he's taken more flak than the person actually involved in the fight.

He was a very lucky man not to get the line early on on Saturday though, and a minute later he scored a great goal. If this were league or championship Cork would rightly be livid at the referee for only showing the yellow card, I'm not sure why the referee opted for yellow, maybe because it's only pre-season, maybe he went a bit easy on him given the heat he's been under the last number of weeks, maybe a bit of both. But he went on to have a strong game.

A lesson learned for him hopefully, opponents will be using the NY incident to wind him up, he was already getting "special" attention before this incident, he'll be getting plenty of verbals about this now from those marking him. It's all about rising above that nonsense and focusing on his own game going forward. A fully tuned in Aaron Gillane is a deadly weapon for us so hopefully our own fans get fully behind our players.

Seems to be some people reading far too much into the Munster Hurling League. Good to see a few fringe players getting game time but Nash aside, there aren't too many of last years starters under threat.

With McCarthy departing and Hickey the year before him, the full back line is in need of cover. Condon and Costello are being given opportunities to that effect but they're both older than Finn, Casey and English. Hopefully at least one of the younger lads (Brian O'Grady, Jerome Boylan, Josh Considine) will make the panel this year and be allowed continue their development in the current set up.

I might be wrong but I believe Downes may be gone now, Dowling and Pat Ryan are long term injuries, forward places are up for grabs. Conor Boylan will probably receive more game time in the league. Adrian Breen will hopefully remain injury free, he's not had the best of luck when it comes to the county team so hopefully he'll get a few chances in the league. This year might be too soon for Darren O'Connell. I wonder if O'Donovan will remain in the half forward line this year? Because between himself; Hayes, Morrissey, Hegarty, Casey, Flanagan, Gillane and Mulcahy; it will be very difficult for any of the fringe players to break into the starting 6 forwards.

It's places on the bench that the fringe forwards are fighting for but we have seen how effective Shane Dowling in particular has been in that role so I wouldn't for a second understate the importance of the forwards that make the bench.

Final point; Graeme Mulcahy, does not get the credit he deserves. Some man to put a shift in, even in the "lesser" competition. With all due respect to Cian Lynch, Mulcahy was our best player in 2018, he was my own pick for HOTY anyway.

All excellent points which i agree with totally. Gillane needs to let his hurling do the talking he's a fab player had he been sent off sat night the discipline thing would be all over the place now and let's be straight had he seen red for either incidents he couldn't complain.
    Agree with the point that outside of nash the starting 15 will be between last July's 15 plus flanagan DoD and nash there's a few more that'll be close but will start on the bench which should be v strong. Costello needs more game time in league to see can he be 1st sub for fb line. Condon a great servant but when it speeds up he'll struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

Is it possible Hennessy will push for the no.1 jersey?

Looking in from outside the county he seems to have played very well in recent games and will put it up to Quaid for the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

big_drive wrote: »
    Is it possible Hennessy will push for the no.1 jersey?

Looking in from outside the county he seems to have played very well in recent games and will put it up to Quaid for the spot

Doubt it. Filled in for the injured Quaid a few seasons ago and it did'nt go well at all.
    Excellent No.2 to have though tbf.

Wides is one of the biggest issues since 2017...lost to Kilkenny in the qualifiers that year after hitting I think 13 wides in the first half below in nowlan Park, hit a huge number in the all Ireland final and it definitely cost us in the all Ireland semi last July. Was it 16 wides or more? We re probably the only top county firing this number of wides. First half Saturday night was the same.

washman3 wrote: »
    Doubt it. Filled in for the injured Quaid a few seasons ago and it did'nt go well at all.

In fairness he's done fair well in the winter league and I rate him higher because of that but yes it's quaid for me with maybe a little less fear cos of Hennessey performances if he gets injured. In time eoghan mc from doon will have the no 1 shirt if he's interested

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭raindodger

washman3 wrote: »

Was of the same opinion but if the team is being picked on form he is in with a right shout.
    puck out is probably better

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

GROUP ONE: St Kierans, Doon, Garryspillane, Ballybrown, Castletown-Ballyagran, Caherline.

GROUP TWO: Adare, Kilteely-Dromkeen, Croagh-Kilfinny, Patrickswell, Mungret St Pauls, Old Christians.

GROUP THREE: Templeglantine, Killeedy, Na Piarsaigh, Rathkeale, Feenagh-Kilmeedy, Monaleen, Ballybricken-Bohermore.

GROUP FOUR: Ahane, Monagea, Crecora-Manister, Askeaton, Dromcollogher-Broadford, Staker Wallace, Claughaun.

Here's the draw for the new look Junior A Hurling county championship. Looks like they'll be a lot of good games there.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

First team of the league announced, 1change from munster league final(mike casey in for aaron costello)
    Looks like Daragh o'Donovan is being tried in the half forward line this year and Barry Nash provides much needed pace in the half back line.
    Looks like Adrian Breen is still injured, would sooner leave Gillane off for the early part of the league as we know what he can do and someone else might step up in his absence. We need to vary the game plan this year apart from isolating Gillane inside and pulling everyone else out, hopefully Flanagan, or someone else can give us an option at 14 that we missed last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Mehapoy wrote: »
    First team of the league announced, 1change from munster league final(mike casey in for aaron costello)
    Looks like Daragh o'Donovan is being tried in the half forward line this year and Barry Nash provides much needed pace in the half back line.
    Looks like Adrian Breen is still injured, would sooner leave Gillane off for the early part of the league as we know what he can do and someone else might step up in his absence. We need to vary the game plan this year apart from isolating Gillane inside and pulling everyone else out, hopefully Flanagan, or someone else can give us an option at 14 that we missed last year.

Will Gillane be on the frees?

Will Gillane be on the frees?

I would imagine not. Seems as though Kiely is keeping faith in the players that performed through the Munster league, and I reckon that will extend to free taking duties. If only one change was going to be made I feel he made the correct one in terms of strengthening the full back line. Though I would have preferred if Condon made way instead of Costello as we know what Condon brings to the table, more would be learned by playing Costello but I won't complain too much about playing a more tried and trusted full back line against Tipp.

I'm glad the temptation to restore Quaid/Hannon/O'Donoghue/Finn/Flanagan was resisted. A number of players did well pre season but you can't make any judgements on that competition. But they have earned their spots on the starting team for the time being, let's see how they get on in their first real examination of the year. Based on the Tipp team neither team is overloaded with primary starters so it should be a competitive encounter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I would imagine not. Seems as though Kiely is keeping faith in the players that performed through the Munster league, and I reckon that will extend to free taking duties. If only one change was going to be made I feel he made the correct one in terms of strengthening the full back line. Though I would have preferred if Condon made way instead of Costello as we know what Condon brings to the table, more would be learned by playing Costello but I won't complain too much about playing a more tried and trusted full back line against Tipp.

I'm glad the temptation to restore Quaid/Hannon/O'Donoghue/Finn/Flanagan was resisted. A number of players did well pre season but you can't make any judgements on that competition. But they have earned their spots on the starting team for the time being, let's see how they get on in their first real examination of the year. Based on the Tipp team neither team is overloaded with primary starters so it should be a competitive encounter.

Where have you seen the Tipp team? Didn't think it was been named until tonight?

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Where have you seen the Tipp team? Didn't think it was been named until tonight?

https:// www. sportsnewsireland.com/gaa/division-1a-hurling-tipperary-v-limerick-preview-team-news-and-live-scores/

Copy/paste the above, remove the spaces before and after the www. as it looks like I'm not allowed post links

Edit; I'm a donkey, those are the teams named last time they lined out! So you are absolutely correct, no Tipp team until tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Reports in the Examiner that Caroline Currid is back with the squad. Thats a positive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

pajoguy wrote: »
    Reports in the Examiner that Caroline Currid is back with the squad. Thats a positive anyway.
    good news if true, where did she go last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

High bike wrote: »
    good news if true, where did she go last year?

Leicester Tigers in the English Premiership in Rugby I think.

Tipp forwards harrying our backline is most interesting thing how many turnovers will we concede?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Embarrassing first half. Limerick havent adjusted their game plan in 3 years. Lots of wides aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Embarrassing first half. Limerick havent adjusted their game plan in 3 years. Lots of wides aswell

Paul Kinnerk strangling Limerick just as he did to Clare after initial success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

The classic example of a team doing heavy training in this time of year, re Limerick's performance. Wouldn't read an iota into tonight's game. The war gets underway in May.

• Advertisement

Big wides total again tonight. Unless it’s reduced it will cost us later in the year. Kilkenny last year in semi final, tipp in 2018 league semi, Kilkenny in qualifiers in 2017 all lost because we had double their wides. All Ireland final also saw another huge wides hall that we got away with.

Advertisement