Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Greensoup wrote: »
    Big wides total again tonight. Unless it’s reduced it will cost us later in the year. Kilkenny last year in semi final, tipp in 2018 league semi, Kilkenny in qualifiers in 2017 all lost because we had double their wides. All Ireland final also saw another huge wides hall that we got away with.

Apart from practise how else can we get them to improve on the wides?

How can you mimic the onfield pressure? A v B matches?

There must be some particular drill to focus on shot taking under out of this world intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Apart from practise how else can we get them to improve on the wides?

How can you mimic the onfield pressure? A v B matches?

There must be some particular drill to focus on shot taking under out of this world intensity.
    I don’t know but a lot of the wides are repeats of other matches like long range pot shots and Aaron Gillane off his right hand side like his wide near the end. Good defenders will turn him onto his right like Kilkenny marker kept trying last July....he was forced onto his right a lot that evening in Croker and missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

Bit of a reality check.

The wides I can accept but we were totally dominated in the first half. Wides were an issue in 2018 but we were creating so many chances and working so hard that it didn't really matter. You can get away with 15-20 wides if on top of that you take 25+ scores.

Bigger problem that they have a tendency to take too long to get up to speed in games. After all three Munster Hurling league games Kiely spoke of having to ask/tell them at half time to up the work rate in the second half and he once again had to deliver that message on Saturday. I don't know if it's a warm up issue or a psychological issue but they need to get on top of that. Same thing gave them an absolute mountain to climb against Kilkenny in the semi final, a mountain they very nearly climbed in the end. The 65' that never was at the end of that game was annoying and a bit of an injustice but it's not the reason we lost. The poor start killed us.

The "new" players that started; Hennessy, Nash, Hanley, Reidy, Dempsey - all bar Hanley have All-Ireland medals from 2018 and they're all relatively experienced now, so it wasn't a weak team as such, and certainly not inexperienced. The likes of Connolly, O'Grady, O'Connell and Boylan who were given game time pre season weren't used yesterday; I'd happily sacrifice the league in the name of giving the likes of those four players game time, especially given the new less competitive format.

The substitutions yesterday told you all you needed to know about the approach being taken by both camps to the league.

A win is a win but we haven't learned much other than they need to get their asses in gear from the moment the sliothar is thrown in, at our best we can beat anyone, but not if we allow teams build up 8+ point leads on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Strong team

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Strong team

Bench not too bad either....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Quaid

Costello Finn English
    Morrossey Hannon Nash

DOD WOD

Hegarty Morrossey Reidy
    Dempsey Flanagan Mulcahy.

SUBS ; Hennessy, Condon, Byrnes, Lynch, C.Boylan, Gillane, Hanley, O'Loughlin, Quinlan, O'Connell and Brian Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Limerick team to play London in NFL Division 4.

1. Donal Ó Sullivan Monaleen (Captain)
    2. Paul Maher Adare
    3. Brian Fanning Pallasgreen
    4. Michael Donovan Galbally
    5. Tony McCarthy Kildimo/Pallaskenry
    6. Iain Corbett Newcastle West
    7. Robert Childs Galtee Gaels
    8. Tommy Griffin Gerald Griffins
    9. Adrian Enright Fr Caseys
    10. Pádraig De Brún Firies
    11. Cillian Fahy Dromcollogher/Broadford
    12. Seamus Ó Carroll Castleknock
    13. Jamie Lee Newcastle West
    14. Danny Neville Ballysteen
    15. Josh Ryan Úbhla
    16. John Chawke Kildimo/Pallaskenry
    17. Gerard Stack Gerald Griffins
    18. Gareth Noonan Dromcollogher/Broadford
    19. Darren O’Doherty Newcastle West
    20. Tommie Childs Galtee Gaels
    21. Sean O’Dea Kilteely Dromkeen
    22. Patrick Begley Mungret/St Pauls
    23. Padraig Scanlon Glin
    24. Hugh Bourke Adare
    25. James Naughton St Senans
    26. Davy Lyons Áth Dara

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Whatever team the mgmt put out sat night I'd like to see Costello in fb line plus flanagan again at 14 both need buckets of game time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭billyhead

lim4ev wrote: »
    Whatever team the mgmt put out sat night I'd like to see Costello in fb line plus flanagan again at 14 both need buckets of game time

The weather on Saturday night force the match to be postponed. There's another storm on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Limerick team to play London in NFL Division 4.

1. Donal Ó Sullivan Monaleen (Captain)
    2. Paul Maher Adare
    3. Brian Fanning Pallasgreen
    4. Michael Donovan Galbally
    5. Tony McCarthy Kildimo/Pallaskenry
    6. Iain Corbett Newcastle West
    7. Robert Childs Galtee Gaels
    8. Tommy Griffin Gerald Griffins
    9. Adrian Enright Fr Caseys
    10. Pádraig De Brún Firies
    11. Cillian Fahy Dromcollogher/Broadford
    12. Seamus Ó Carroll Castleknock
    13. Jamie Lee Newcastle West
    14. Danny Neville Ballysteen
    15. Josh Ryan Úbhla
    16. John Chawke Kildimo/Pallaskenry
    17. Gerard Stack Gerald Griffins
    18. Gareth Noonan Dromcollogher/Broadford
    19. Darren O’Doherty Newcastle West
    20. Tommie Childs Galtee Gaels
    21. Sean O’Dea Kilteely Dromkeen
    22. Patrick Begley Mungret/St Pauls
    23. Padraig Scanlon Glin
    24. Hugh Bourke Adare
    25. James Naughton St Senans
    26. Davy Lyons Áth Dara

2 from Limerick city on the panel..shur where are you going in the long term with this.

• Advertisement

Definitely both need the games. Flanagan is so unselfish and can see a good pass. If he could only work on his touch and scoring. Hes worth his place

billyhead wrote: »
    The weather on Saturday night force the match to be postponed. There's another storm o

Saw that hope it goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

billyhead wrote: »
    The weather on Saturday night force the match to be postponed. There's another storm o

Saw that hope it goes ahead

Postponing the game or any of this weekends games will really **** the whole schedule up. The rest of the NHL is to be run off this weekend to the final on the 22nd March

Could be another double header in Croke Park on the last Sunday in March

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Definitely both need the games. Flanagan is so unselfish and can see a good pass. If he could only work on his touch and scoring. Hes worth his place

I think flanagan is vital to the way the forward line operates, he seems to have vision that none of our other forwards have, hopefully he tidies up some aspects of his game and is a regular starter through the summer.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    I think flanagan is vital to the way the forward line operates, he seems to have vision that none of our other forwards have, hopefully he tidies up some aspects of his game and is a regular starter through the summer.

1000000000000000% agree

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Match off tonight, looks like tomorrow at 2pm now

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

With an orange warning in place for limerick all day tomorrow, it's surely more than likely not to go ahead this weekend at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Wonder what they will do then as the Cork match is next weekend isn't it?

if it ain’t played 2moro they put extra week onto league. Same as last year when some games got called off. League hurling final put back a week as part of double header with football final.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hardly play it midweek

• Advertisement

Greensoup wrote: »
    if it ain’t played 2moro they put extra week onto league. Same as last year when some games got called off. League hurling final put back a week as part of double header with football final.

That would be great no matter who's in the league final it should be played in croke park.

No chance this game will be played tomorrow

Eir sport showed footage from Gaelic grounds. Pitch in front of mackey stand is waterlogged with a fair bit of surface water. Subs area has a lot of water in it as well. Touch and go for tomorrow I’d say.

Seeing the u20 football on Wednesday moved to Rathkeale shows the pitch in the Gaelic grounds must be in bad state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

The surface in a lot of the County grounds is brutal, Gaelic Grounds, Pairc UI Chaoimh and Walsh Park to name a few. Makes you wonder, has to have been better land around when these places were developed first.

The surface in a lot of the County grounds is brutal, Gaelic Grounds, Pairc UI Chaoimh and Walsh Park to name a few. Makes you wonder, has to have been better land around when these places were developed first.

Pairc Ui Caoimh has a brilliant surface now. Gaelic Grounds does in Spring and summer. No ground stands up to torrents of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Pairc Ui Caoimh has a brilliant surface now. Gaelic Grounds does in Spring and summer. No ground stands up to torrents of rain

i dont think people understand just how open limerick is to the elements , it may as well be perched on the Atlantic cost like galway , they usally get it as bad even though they appear to be more inland , its all down to the tidal system in the shannon that attracts bad weather , pitch in limerick is good but has a lot to put up with

plus it was no bad thing that hundreds of tipperary and waterford supporters were spared the turmoil of a 2 hour plus drive in them conditions this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Ah cmon, they closed the ground down for half a year. Waterford and Cork played in a sandpit in the league in 2018. The north stand side suffers from a lack of natural light also.

Maybe these are issues that will be addressed over time but it's definitely had problems since reopening.

I've seen boglike conditions in the Gaelic Grounds. Plenty of pitches stand up to poor conditions, this is Ireland after all.

Ennis looked very well to me today for example.

Ah cmon, they closed the ground down for half a year. Waterford and Cork played in a sandpit in the league in 2018. The north stand side suffers from a lack of natural light also.

Maybe these are issues that will be addressed over time but it's definitely had problems since reopening.

I've seen boglike conditions in the Gaelic Grounds. Plenty of pitches stand up to poor conditions, this is Ireland after all.

Cork just got a new million euro pitch. Ennis was redone a few years ago with a great drainage system put in. I think yesterday it was the wind that put paid to the match in Limerick but it's not a great winter pitch anyway. On the other hand it's a super Spring and summer pitch as you could see from last years Munster final ect..probably one of the best surfaces in Ireland when the hurling Championship is in full swing. It is open to the Cratloe hills but to compare it to the exposure that Pearse stadium endures is ridiculous. There are some fantastic pitches in Limerick..the markets field, Thomond Park, Garryowen have a great pitch.

The Gaelic Grounds is built on marshy land, my parents would have remembered when Ashbrook (across the road from it) was flooded fields, though the Gaelic Grounds is far older than the estates around it afaik.

Interestingly, there's been a few floods on the Northside of the city in the last 12 months, might be something more significant going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

The Gaelic Grounds is built on marshy land, my parents would have remembered when Ashbrook (across the road from it) was flooded fields, though the Gaelic Grounds is far older than the estates around it afaik.

Interestingly, there's been a few floods on the Northside of the city in the last 12 months, might be something more significant going on.

The floods around caherdavin last year were caused by the OPW leaving a big gaping hole in flood defenses over a weekend. Be grand they said.

Advertisement