Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

Clare in the Quarters and also league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

There will be some build up and excitement for that game after the long break. No love lost between both teams and Lohan will have Clare foaming at the mouth for revenge for the drubbing they took in the Gaelic Grounds last year

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

Will it be home or away for Limerick?

Dcmb1984 wrote: »
    Will it be home or away for Limerick?

Not sure. Will they play it in a neutral venue. Without crowds it won't really make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

billyhead wrote: »
    Not sure. Will they play it in a neutral venue. Without crowds it won't really make a difference.

Great draw for us in my opinion. Get over clare and we'll have a game behind us before Tipp who we hammered last Yr.

• Advertisement

Have they said for sure no crowds? Would have thought by October they could have some crowds even if reduced

slegs wrote: »
    Have they said for sure no crowds? Would have thought by October they could have some crowds even if reduced

True. They might have limited numbers. I prefer us playing in the QF then meeting Tipp without a game under the belt presuming we beat Clare 😁

Portlaoise thought I heard Marty saying it would be played there

That's were the draw was made. It will be played in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

If Limerick lose to Clare then the year is over and vice versa. Actually the only route I see for Clare and Limerick is the front door. Win Munster and 2 week break.
    It's a tough draw. Limerick v Waterford in asemi would have been better. The likes of Tipperary will always be ok coming in cold. Actually they are the one county that can cope with it. Beat Clare with no injuries...Beat Tipp..munster final against a fresh Cork. Big big ask. I cant see it..

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

That's were the draw was made. It will be played in Munster.

Guess I thought wrong then! Going to be a tough game both teams looked impressive in the league. Anything could happen with both teams having such a long lay off. Game should bring us on for the semi if we manage to get to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

BloodyBill wrote: »
    If Limerick lose to Clare then the year is over and vice versa. Actually the only route I see for Clare and Limerick is the front door. Win Munster and 2 week break.
    It's a tough draw. Limerick v Waterford in asemi would have been better. The likes of Tipperary will always be ok coming in cold. Actually they are the one county that can cope with it. Beat Clare with no injuries...Beat Tipp..munster final against a fresh Cork. Big big ask. I cant see it..
    if Limerick bring their A game they have nothing to fear from Clare or Tipp, and I wouldn't be so sure Cork will beat Waterford either time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

Shane Dowling has retired from intercounty hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭raindodger

Just read the article in the examiner re shane.
    Really feel for him as it meant so much to him.
    Has been a massive influence with his performance and attitude.
    Been watching some of the limerick games didnt realise at the time what a gamechanger he was.
    Favourite recent score was his overhead goal against kilkenny which nearly dragged us back into the game.
    Best of luck to him in whatever he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dcmb1984

The_Dave wrote:

Very disappointed to hear this. A fantastic player with a fantastic approach to game, on and off the field. A great hurling brain as they say. Best of luck to him in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Ah feck, terrible not to see him get one more go at this years all ireland

His talk after the 2018 semi final, the 2011 match v cork, goal in the all ireland final, turning games in 2013 munster, overhead goal for NaP 2 years ago - great memories for him and us

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

One of my favourite hurlers around today outside of Waterford. his skills and accuracy were incredible. hopefully we see him play with the club in the future but his health is most important and wish him all the best in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Super player super guy super ambassador for Limerick our bench looks a lot lighter without him. I wish him the best for the future in everything he does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

A real pity and shame comes across as such a good character aswel, to retire at 27 he's fitted such much success to be fair to him, such a natural player, a proper baller as they say in soccer circles.Hopefully he can keep playing at club level and most importantly he's knee issue doesn't impact too much outside of hurling or later in life,with his infectious type of personality wouldn't be surprised to see some media work down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

Huge loss coming off the bench, he was some impact sub to have

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

As others have said, Shame that Shane Dowling is forced to retire at only 27, fantastic forward for Limerick and won so many honours in a few short years. Would have no doubt he would have remained a big part of the Limerick setup if he was injury free. Would credit him greatly in 2018 with his speech after the semi off the field and the heroics on it.
    Hopefully he gets involved in coaching and management as he's a great talker and knows how to win.

• Advertisement

It'll be hard for him as his whole life and 'brand' was based around his hurling. When he took on the role of a substitute and gave his all to it ,he blossomed. He was no athlete but worked hard for the last few years. The only man you wanted to see stepping up to a penalty or last minute free. His legs were always going to be his downfall. Just two big tree trunks that seemed to hamper him. That was genetics and he fought against it his whole career.
    There should be an incentive for the whole panel to work hard and become one of the finishers. However my worry is going into the last 5 to 10 minutes of a tight game Gillane could miss 1 or 2. His technique has a fair few flaws..and his judgement of wind etc has never been good.

Who will be our super sub now. Seamus Flanagan?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭LMK

The_Dave wrote: »

What a pity for him and us, no 2018 AI without him, most of all his temperament set him apart, put him on the big stage and he produced, super attitude as well... what achievements he's had. One of the best.

Who will be our super sub now. Seamus Flanagan?

THink flanagan will tear it up this year....certain start at 14

I wouldnt have Flanagan as a finisher. He's a starter,never going to score 1.2 or 1.3. Hard to replace Dowlings input. His vision for the pass was great. Flanagans is too in fairness. I'd think there's an opening on the panel for a scoring forward/ free taker. Anything happens Gillane then the responsibility falls on Morrissey.

THink flanagan will tear it up this year....certain start at 14

Will Peter Casey start on the bench. AG @ GMc are guaranteed starters anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Will Peter Casey start on the bench. AG @ GMc are guaranteed starters anyway.

I think he will I think the ff line from 18 will start if fit. Flanagan off form last yr was biggest reson for me why we didn't win the all Ireland

Good win for kilmallock the other night

Despite their backs being at sea early on they battled from 15mins on and out fought Na P with Mulcahy being the best player on show

Some poor defending out there and Lmk in general need to uncover a few backs

Breen and OOR done there county chances no harm

Casey picked up 3 points but hardly grabbed a county jersey by any means

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I hear Joe Canning is after buying a house in Monaleen wonder will he transfer lol

• Advertisement

Kilmallock v Ahane and Doon V Patrickwell to be shown live on RTE 2 on August 8. How times have changed that a Limerick championship double header is live prime time viewing on a Saturday night on RTE!

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/561625/rte-television-to-screen-live-limerick-club-hurling-double-header.html

Advertisement