Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I enquired and am absolutely sure there is no influence in picking the team, only the management have infuence.

We can only improve, their a resilient bunch, looking forward to next team picked and the cork game

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

I enquired and am absolutely sure there is no influence in picking the team, only the management have infuence.

We can only improve, their a resilient bunch, looking forward to next team picked and the cork game

You're right about that I think all the players yesterday proved they were selected on merit. The panel will be used over the next couple of games. Hickey was the only player yesterday who I would say was very poor but only because his not a natural full back. It was always going to be difficult for him against a really strong full forward line. Some people thought tom Morrissey was poor but he scored two points from play and won a few frees. His work rate was immense ! Himself and Dan have improved a lot.

They have indeed.

Would love Richie mac to get a game, like mulcahy he hasn't got a chance with a proper team and is surely as fit as ever.

Hockied wrote: »
    Nash wasnt even on panel. Agree with all of that. I watched dan morrisey carefully and what i learned is that our management have a lot to answer to. Any number of lads are better yet he and brother guaranteed place. Hickey a spent force for years. Saying all this again and again and no point in not saying it straight. Lets celebrate beating a brutal tipp team. Tipp totally under performed. Management have missed a chance to have a possible all ireland winning team by playing Morrissey, Hickey and Hegarty regardless of performance while better players can't make panel. We could have a full back nicely blooded in past two years but now what have we? Missed opportunities and all to keep the usual people happy. Lucky to get win. Hope a full back emerges and they start playing players for reasons other than who their daddy is. Then we can have a chance to win an all ireland. Not far off capable of taking a Munster though, looking at other teams. Maybe that will do limerick supporters ?

Very unfair to say this about two players who have both improved a lot this year. Tom was a handful for Tipp yesterday and scored two nice points from play, won frees and worked very hard tracking back the field. He hit one or two wides but so did others. Dan has improved a lot this year. I'm not his biggest fan but his worked hard and I thought he performed well yesterday.
    I'd agree we have better options there but at the moment the manager feels the options are better in other positions but his certainly not guranteed his place because of who his father is ! I wouldn't look down my nose at a Munster championship considering how poor we've been the last few years.

• Advertisement

They have indeed.

Would love Richie mac to get a game, like mulcahy he hasn't got a chance with a proper team and is surely as fit as ever.

I agree, he certainly wouldn't be worse than hickey there and he would actually get protection from his halfback line for once. Mulcahy has always had the talent and proved yesterday that he can be lethal when we play to his strength and give him good low ball instead of the hit and hope stuff under previous management !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

You'd think reading this that Limerick are regularly winning Munster championship matches. I'd expect them to do quite well this year, but beating Tipp comfortably is a rare thing and should be enjoyed. Well done Sunday, ye have turned a corner and I hope we are depending on winning when we come down to the Gaelic Grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Should we send a Thank You card to Mick Ryan for taking all the attention of us after sunday!!! Delighted that everyone thinks it was purely tippz fault we won on Sunday. We werent top class but the signs are promising. Momentum is always a big thing for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

pajoguy wrote: »
    Should we send a Thank You card to Mick Ryan for taking all the attention of us after sunday!!! Delighted that everyone thinks it was purely tippz fault we won on Sunday. We werent top class but the signs are promising. Momentum is always a big thing for Limerick.

We won't be long finding out where we are down in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 treklane

great start on Sunday was elated well done.
    not posting on here flat out but love reading along great thread.
    bit disappointed about some of the chanting out of the terrace bad language not limerick supporters style.
    also hickey i agree had an off day but he does not deserve the abuse not fair his an amateur player that gives his all
    when pulling on the jersey.
    know its a bit of banter but seamus gets a lot of stick not fair in my opinion hope he turns it around
    cork will be a tough match and a draw could be a good bet.
    theirs a great determination in the team we could beat anyone on the day so well done to all involved
    come on limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

We won't be long finding out where we are down in cork.

Wouldn't fear Cork at all.Clare were so wasteful in that first half.Going for goal with every single attack.Limerick comfortably by 4 or 5.

Exactly, cork will present a very different challenge in terms of pace and athleticism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

treklane wrote: »
    great start on Sunday was elated well done.
    not posting on here flat out but love reading along great thread.
    bit disappointed about some of the chanting out of the terrace bad language not limerick supporters style.
    also hickey i agree had an off day but he does not deserve the abuse not fair his an amateur player that gives his all
    when pulling on the jersey.
    know its a bit of banter but seamus gets a lot of stick not fair in my opinion hope he turns it around
    cork will be a tough match and a draw could be a good bet.
    theirs a great determination in the team we could beat anyone on the day so well done to all involved
    come on limerick

Good post. Agree with all your points, especially the over-the-top criticism of Hickey. Played out of position as we all know but probably the best/only option available for this particular game, pitched against the best forward in the country at the moment by a country mile. People forgetting his many splendid performances in green over the years. Most of those he played underage with are now retired, even from club hurling. An achievement in itself.
    For the record, apart from the goal, Forde failed to score from play. Some silly frees from Hickey I know but it could also be argued that at least 2 were extremely soft, as were 2 awarded to Limerick in the second half.
    Hickey may have a big part to play in this campaign yet, be it as a replacement corner/wing back or midfielder. Every squad number will be equally important in this new format. I previously predicted that the starting team in Ennis on June 17 could see up to 5 different starters from the Tipp game. Injuries/suspensions/loss of form/horses for courses, may all come into play.
    As for the terrace chanting, I don't know where these little gits have come out of or where they've been all along but they need to be 'outed' and banned from games. End of.
    Also the genius that was responsible for the annoying and deafening rock music over the loudspeakers during the intervals needs a proper kick in the a##e.
    Leave that to our brethren at the stadium down the road while drinking their pints and cheering for a bunch of South Africans.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Any news on p casey lads? What I heard is he had his appendix out and something wasn't right and they'd to open him again? If true let's hope he gets better soon and back to what he's good at

Also the genius that was responsible for the annoying and deafening rock music over the loudspeakers during the intervals needs a proper kick in the a##e.
    Leave that to our brethren at the stadium down the road while drinking their pints and cheering for a bunch of South Africans.[/QUOTE]

Enjoyed that one I thought I was the only one that thought this way

Draw today lads could be a disaster for us as it keeps both in the hunt would have been better had cork won the way I calculate it it might come down to us and Clare in last match that's if we beat Waterford and lose to cork and Clare lose to tipp I say all this as I think Waterford are in deep trouble.

Lot of hurling to be played yet roll on sat evening

lim4ev wrote: »
    Draw today lads could be a disaster for us as it keeps both in the hunt would have been better had cork won the way I calculate it it might come down to us and Clare in last match that's if we beat Waterford and lose to cork and Clare lose to tipp I say all this as I think Waterford are in deep trouble.

Lot of hurling to be played yet roll on sat evening

Ye will beat Cork.A week's rest should see ye beat them a few points and ye can improve on that Tipp performance too.Gillane will have a field day against that cork corner back line
    It will come down to Clare and Tipp in Thurles.
    i expect Tipp to lose at home to Clare.We look poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Ye will beat Cork.A week's rest should see ye beat them a few points and ye can improve on that Tipp performance too.Gillane will have a field day against that cork corner back line
    It will come down to Clare and Tipp in Thurles.
    i expect Tipp to lose at home to Clare.We look poor.

Not sure what you are basing any of that on to be perfectly honest.

Cork/limerick will be 50/50, you say Gillane will have a field day, we'll Kingston and Horgan will be falling over each other tp see who gets to play on Hickey!

Clare v Tipp in thurles will be a cracker but Clare havent won a championship game of note outside on Ennis in 5 years, If Tipp have the same attitude and application that they showed in the 2nd half yesterday Clare wont live with them.

danganabu wrote: »
    Not sure what you are basing any of that on to be perfectly honest.

Cork/limerick will be 50/50, you say Gillane will have a field day, we'll Kingston and Horgan will be falling over each other tp see who gets to play on Hickey!

Clare v Tipp in thurles will be a cracker but Clare havent won a championship game of note outside on Ennis in 5 years, If Tipp have the same attitude and application that they showed in the 2nd half yesterday Clare wont live with them.

I didn't say Limerick would hammer Cork,but do they look a more promising side than Cork?I would think yes.I hope I'm proved right even for the sake of this online message forum alone!That Limerick half back line looks far more solid than Tipp's so i'd tip them to have more possession than Cork and create more.I could be wrong of course.Tipp should beat Waterford,but they look awful flat,Yes they rallied well in Thurles but one more poor half of hurling and its curtains for the season.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I didn't say Limerick would hammer Cork,but do they look a more promising side than Cork?I would think yes.I hope I'm proved right even for the sake of this online message forum alone!That Limerick half back line looks far more solid than Tipp's so i'd tip them to have more possession than Cork and create more.I could be wrong of course.Tipp should beat Waterford,but they look awful flat,Yes they rallied well in Thurles but one more poor half of hurling and its curtains for the season.

I personally think there is more potentail in Limerick but Cork are a year or two further into their development than Limerick, the most important line when playing Cork is your half forward line as opposed to your half back line, they are a pacey, skillfull team and they thrive on possession, if you look at Sundays game and compare the two halfs, in the frist half Tipp were asleep and putting no pressure on the Cork backs who were then able to deliver low diagnal ball into the space in front of the full forward line that is practically undefendable, in the second half when they upped their work rate in the forwards Cork didnt seem to have a plan b and while a draw was a fair result and I was bloody happy with it at the time I think if Tipp had made better use of their bench or indeed if Nash was human Tipp could have won the game which was unthinkable at half time.

The weeks rest should in theory help Limerick especially considering the 6 day turnaround for Cork but you get the impression that Limerick would have loved to play last week and feed off the momentum of their win against Tipp.

Rubbbish like this doesnt help Limericks cause ; https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/315543/ciaran-carey-it-s-in-limerick-s-own-hands.html

I personally think there is more potentail in Limerick but Cork are a year or two further into their development than Limerick, the most important line when playing Cork is your half forward line as opposed to your half back line, they are a pacey, skillfull team and they thrive on possession, if you look at Sundays game and compare the two halfs, in the frist half Tipp were asleep and putting no pressure on the Cork backs who were then able to deliver low diagnal ball into the space in front of the full forward line that is practically undefendable, in the second half when they upped their work rate in the forwards Cork didnt seem to have a plan b and while a draw was a fair result and I was bloody happy with it at the time I think if Tipp had made better use of their bench or indeed if Nash was human Tipp could have won the game which was unthinkable at half time.

The weeks rest should in theory help Limerick especially considering the 6 day turnaround for Cork but you get the impression that Limerick would have loved to play last week and feed off the momentum of their win against Tipp.

Rubbbish like this doesnt help Limericks cause ; https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/315543/ciaran-carey-it-s-in-limerick-s-own-hands.html

Knowing ciaran I'm a little surprised I wander were they selective in the parts they printed if we had beaten tipp and cork in cork that still looks a little strong maybe he was trying to drill confidence into them ahead of the match on sat.

Anyway I can see us giving cork plenty but will it be enough I'm not sure,big selection issue is will they start m casey instead of hickey also p casey is back they say but he won't start. I still think the cork backs give up chances but also cork have good forwards but so do we plus some v big men. Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

It is only rubbish to be fair and I doubt any player will be reading it or taking any notice. Very unlike Carey as he's always a man of few words and often wonder about these interviews, are they walked into these situations by cute journalists.
    Didn't Lar say before the Tipp/Limerick game that Ritchie English was an obvious weak link on the Limerick team and would be targeted big time by Tipp.
    Never mentioned Hickey....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

i see the south stand in Pairc Ui Chaoimh is now sold out for the match on Sat night. Should be a decent crowd there. Living in Cork and lots of sunshine supporters here heading along... new stadium, Cork team hype etc. Are there many travelling down from Shannonside?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

Hello folks. Cork supporter posting here. If you're driving down and considering parking near the ground, then judging on last Sundays weeks game against Clare expect some serious delays trying to get back out.
    Gardai have a new traffic flow set-up for big events in Pairc Ui Chaoimh and it was taking people over half an hour to get back to the bridge(s) that are on the way out of the city. My parents live in Farranree so would have headed Blackpool direction and it took them over an hour to drive home what normally would have taken around 20 minutes!!!
    Just a heads up.
    Travel safe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

seoirsem wrote: »
    Hello folks. Cork supporter posting here. If you're driving down and considering parking near the ground, then judging on last Sundays weeks game against Clare expect some serious delays trying to get back out.
    Gardai have a new traffic flow set-up for big events in Pairc Ui Chaoimh and it was taking people over half an hour to get back to the bridge(s) that are on the way out of the city. My parents live in Farranree so would have headed Blackpool direction and it took them over an hour to drive home what normally would have taken around 20 minutes!!!
    Just a heads up.
    Travel safe!!!

Best off walkin out from city so....looking forward to seeing new stadium and hopefully a cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Greensoup wrote: »
    Best off walkin out from city so....looking forward to seeing new stadium and hopefully a cracking game.

yeah he is right the traffic was chronic , south of the lee , park anywhere north of the river long walk but probably worth it in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭billyhead

So whats the verdict for tomorrow folks. Mike Casey is the only change form the last day to replace Hickey. If we can keep their forward line quiet think we will win by 2-3 points but it will be close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

seoirsem wrote: »
    Just a heads up.
    Travel safe!!!

Gates open at 3:30 tomorrow. There are shuttle buses running and details along with parking information can be found at paircuichaoimh.ie

Advertisement