Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink driving conviction / insurance cost

Options
  • 05-01-2018 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My story is I am currently serving a 4 year driving ban for refusing to give a sample at the Garda Station . I have the right to apply for early restoration of my license as I have now served 2 years of the ban.

My question is does anyone know how much I should expect to pay for insurance when I get my license when I have completed 2/3rds of the 4 years.

I am a 36 year old male , no previous convictions .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Anywhere from €2500 to €5000.

You will also most likely have to go down the DCC route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Whats DCC ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

no previous convictions .

Previous to this case you didn’t.

Now you have a conviction.

That will matter when getting quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Billy batts

Thank you for your input, do you know how much do variables like vehicle engine size , whether the insurance company accepts a 3 year old no claims bonus certificate or not and the fact that my conviction is for refusal will determine how much the insurance company will look to quote me ?

Whats DCC ?

Declined cases committee.

• Advertisement

no previous convictions .

Previous to this case you didn’t.

Now you have a conviction.

That will matter when getting quotes.

Thanks for stating the obvious 🖒

Thank you for your input, do you know how much do variables like vehicle engine size , whether the insurance company accepts a 3 year old no claims bonus certificate or not and the fact that my conviction is for refusal will determine how much the insurance company will look to quote me ?

Smaller engine = cheaper premiums in the main.

As far as I know there are no insurers operating here that currently accept a bonus over 3 years.

As the conviction was for refusal to provide a sample that would be viewed as more severe than a drink driving conviction as it implies the worst and that you were heavily under the influence of something. So not only does it look like you drove while under the influence you also failed to comply with a request from an officer of the law, that's another big issue foe insurers.

I'd estimate that you can expect to receive a load of somewhere between 100% and 200%.

That basically means if the basic premium is €1500 for no bonus the quote will be an additional 100% on top of that ie €3000.

Thanks Business Cat , that's some solid information . Looks like my pockets are going to be at the mercy of the insurance companies.

I would still be curious if anyone could confirm whether or not there are any under writers in Ireland who currently accept 3 year old no claims bonus certs?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ncb's expire after 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Thanks for stating the obvious ��

I speak from previous experience, bar the disqualification.

Have a road traffic conviction myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ncb's expire after 2 years.

In most cases, Kennco will give you a discount up to three years though.

OP id try quote devil when the ban is up.

Advertisement