Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 4790k overheating

Options
  • 05-01-2018 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

just built a system with an i7 4790k cooling with a corsair h55. in bios cpu goes up by 1 degree about every second up to about 85 degrees. i have remounted the pump several times so it is not that. in windows it site at about 80 idle. if anyone has had this problem or know a solution any help would be appriciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you connect both the fan and the pump headers?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cianh33

yep both are connected

Take the plastic off the block? Theres thermal paste yeah?

Can you feel the pump going?

ED E wrote: »
    Take the plastic off the block? Theres thermal paste yeah?

Can you feel the pump going?

I can feel a small vibrating in the pump, the cpu, cpu cooler and mobo were bought secondhand but the guy showed me them working

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

is cpu second hand ? and did you check it has proper contact with cpu and cooler as ED-E mentioned ,also check in bios that it wouldnt be OCed since k models are mostly bought to overclock,if its gaming pc mobo just reset bios and see how it goes.

• Advertisement

yes the cpu is second hand, the mobo is msi z87 g43,it is at 4gh in the bios so it is not overclocked, i have taken the cooler off a few times and put it back on and it looks like it is making contact

If he demo's chances are this is user error somewhere. Post photos.

(Writing this to get 5 posts)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

cianh33 wrote: »
    yes the cpu is second hand, the mobo is msi z87 g43,it is at 4gh in the bios so it is not overclocked, i have taken the cooler off a few times and put it back on and it looks like it is making contact

If you removed the cooler a few times. you likely need to replace the thermal paste for good heat transfer between the CPU and the cooler.

Wont let me post photos is there anywhere else i can put them? Imgur wont let me sign up

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    If you removed the cooler a few times. you likely need to replace the thermal paste for good heat transfer between the CPU and the cooler.

Yeah thermal paste was replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

use tinypic to upload photos.

any chance you got oem cooler for the cpu to try out ? to rule out faulty pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Or else it is airlocked or something. Worst case scenario just go into Maplin and get a €10 standard CPU cooler. AIO Watercoolers are totally over-rated and a waste of time and money for most users (in my opinion).

If i take the cooler off after it has been running for a while i can feel it is hot so there is definitely heat being taken off the cpu, i feels like the water isnt cooling the cpu block but it is running. Would there but any reason the cpu is running hotter than it should?

It is normal for it to get red hot without a cooler just running i.e not even doing a stress test. It tried it out myself one time.

It is normal for it to get red hot without a cooler just running i.e not even doing a stress test. It tried it out myself one time.

I mean after turning the system off

As TerrorFirmer said those AIO aren't great tbh. Just pick up a big heatsink with fan they are not even dear.

Where are you anyway. I'm sure somebody on here who may live near you could give you a loan of a stock cooler just to see if the problem still exits and if not then that AIO is at fault.

i am in greystones, would it be possible that the cpu is at fault?

i am in greystones, would it be possible that the cpu is at fault?

I would guess no but I could be wrong with out being there. Just pick up a standard cooler and test it out. Even check adverts I'm sure someone in Dublin is selling one.

• Advertisement

ok thanks i will try get one, hopefully its not the cpu :/

ill try get that today, ill let you know how it goes

Theres thermal paste yeah?

yes there is thermal paste

when i bought the parts the guy showed me them working but a few days later when i put them into my pc the temps were this high,the cooler wasnt removed from when i bought them to when it was installes

just got the cooler and installed it temps are much lower thanks to all for the help

just got the cooler and installed it temps are much lower thanks to all for the help

If that's the stock intel cooler don't use it long term as it is no good especially when overclocking. Buy a large heatsink one they aren't that expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Long term it's fine as long as you're not overclocking. The only need for a better cooler is if you're overclocking, want cooler temps, or less noise. From a pure functionality point of view the stock cooler is grand. I've a €8 cooler on my i7-7700 and it's fine. :)

• Advertisement

have you got a fan on the rad?

Advertisement