Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia April 2018

Options
  • 05-01-2018 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi folks! :)

I'm just wondering is anyone in the same boat as myself. I am re-interviewing for the PMEP April 18 cohort. Its just the Irish interview and its at the end of January. I'm just wondering is there anyone else like myself? I'm studying since september, and trying my best. I don't know, I'm so afraid of messing up tenses again, suppose we'll see what happens. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Carberry123

Hi ladylorr
    I’m in the same boat , I am repeating my Irish interview the end of jan and I am terrified I’m not going pass it again , I have been getting grinds but not sure how high the standard is, I didn’t do very well in my first interview, what questions were you asked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I know it's probably a bit late in the day to recommend a course; but Gaelchultur offer a preparatory course specifically aimed at PME applicants. There are 2 face to face classes in a small group setting, and a couple of online sessions. I did it ahead of applying for the PME with St Pats and found it excellent. They go through relevant topics such as yourself, family, locality, profession and the course itself. I'm sure it's late to opt into one now but if you're stressing out, ring them and see what they can do for you. And don't stress about speaking Irish on the phone to them, say Dia Dhuit out of respect but don't worry about it if you need to speak English for the rest of the conversation. They're there to help and promote use of Irish; not to alienate people. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyLorr20

Thanks for that Cash!. I actually had looked into one of them, but unfortunately they didn’t run before the Xmas. But I do have the book though, that was brilliant.

Carberry123, hello! So I was asked the usual, about myself and a lot about my town. And that kind of threw me a bit. Then they asked about my work as I’d just come from abroad and my degree. They went into more detail than I thought with my degree which also threw me. But I looked for feedback and she said I just sounded like I was stopping and starting and hadn’t spoken irish in a while. How did you get on? Did they ask you anything out of ordinary?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Joolsie

Hi all, fellow repeater here. Had my Irish interview on Monday. Found it tough going. Just wondering has anyone heard anything from the college, I'm refreshing my emails the whole time.

Hi guys

My interview is not til next week , I’m gettin very worried about it , it being our last chance to review interview for 2 years , and the fact that you both found it hard, thanks for the feedback, what questions did they ask you Joolsie? Fingers crossed 🀞ðŸ», I have heard of people finding out in 2 days and others waiting a week and a bit so dont worry just yet

• Advertisement

A week..... I'll have my hair pulled out and everyone else's along with it, dogs and all :):) Be prepared for the conversation to jump, A-LOT. and a good bit more than the first interview. They can come back to topics that have been covered already in the interview so you need to stay focused. They speak so fast too which makes it even more difficult to understand what they're saying. I think from the moment they pressed record to them pressing stop I was in there just under 15 minutes. So questions: Firstly I was asked where I was from and then during the middle of the interview I was asked about the facilities in my area, What did I do the weekend just gone and then I was later asked what I do every weekend, Do I listen to Raidió na Gaeltachta, What i'll do tonight, How did I prepare for today, class type, how long etc, Hobbies - music in detail (I play and sing in choir), What encouraged me to do primary teaching, Do I like farming - had mentioned that I live on a farm and I help out at the weekends, What jobs I do on the farm, Have we any other animals, Do I have a job and very detailed here again, What I do every day at work, Do I like my job and then finished up with the lotto question.

I forgot to say the very best of luck

Ah thank you I appreciate all the help would love to have it done but this time next week I’ll be done and waiting on an email, fingers crossed you get it I’m sure you will you sound like u got on well

Oh I stumbled on questions trust me. What I did to practice though was I wrote out all the questions on pieces a paper, put them in to a bowl and randomly picked ones out and answered them; it'll get you used to the randomness of the interview. I used write down the answers first of all and nearer the interview I started to answer out loud.....to myself :):)

Thank you joolsie , I’ll try that, that is a really good idea with the bowl of questions , gonna put my head down this weekend , thanks again

• Advertisement

Lads and ladies , I had mine last Monday like you Joolsie, and I’m still waiting on a reply. It’s been over a week now, day 8. I’m constantly checking emails. Has anyone heard yet?.

hi ladylorr

I had mine on Monday gone and no word but it’s early days, I think the last round of yes and no’s were on Thur the 18th so they should be due to send another batch out, it’s very nerve wrecking I’m checking mine the whole time too

Last round of yes and no’s?. Oh golly. Every minute I’m checking. But I suppose the fact that no one else has heard yet is a good sign. You’d imagine tomorrow??

How did yours go?.

Well I know a girl who got a yes that day so assuming the emails all go out together? I’m checking the whole time and I’m not waiting as long as you are you must be going mad , I would think tomorrow it’s unfair to leave it another weekend

Mine went ok it’s so hard to know , the interview jumped from topic to topic but I could answer everything and I think I answered it well enough but you just don’t know

Ok and she was a repeat too probably. Fingers crossed I’ll hear tomorrow .. I’ll let ye know and hopefully we’ll all be starting together !!

Here's hoping tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Remember if you get into the course you will still need to work on your Irish throughout the two years. Best of luck to all applying.

Thanks jimbobaloobob we are all taking grinds and improving our Irish and hopefully if we get the course we can continue to improve , thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Interview questions typically flow around you and what you like to do, how you got to the interview.

The more you say the less questions will be asked allowing you time to control the chat so avoid short answers if possible. Relax into it and try steer the topics best ye can.

If i can be any help drop a message.

Remember if you get into the course you will still need to work on your Irish throughout the two years. Best of luck to all applying.

Thanks Jimbob. Yeah, I’d say majority of people would continue with working on the Irish throughout to make it easier. Hopefully we’ll be successful and be able to do that. :) Are you in the course yourself? If so how’s it going ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 deiseliving

LadyLorr20 wrote: »
    Hi folks! :)

I'm just wondering is anyone in the same boat as myself. I am re-interviewing for the PMEP April 18 cohort. Its just the Irish interview and its at the end of January. I'm just wondering is there anyone else like myself? I'm studying since september, and trying my best. I don't know, I'm so afraid of messing up tenses again, suppose we'll see what happens. :o

Hi
    If you or anyone else is in the Waterford area I provide Irish grinds for individuals preparing for Hibernia College PMEP interviews.
    I am situated in Waterford city.
    Send a PM to inquire.
    Thanks

Advertisement