Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requesting call recordings/transcripts from the bank.

• 05-01-2018 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I'm wondering if anyone has ever requested call recordings/transcripts from PTSB or any Bank through a Subject Access Request (Data Protection Act 1988 & 2003)?

I was given some particularly poor (and expensive) advice over the phone last year. I don't see the bank compensating me but I would like to make an official complaint under the Consumer Protection Code so that other customers might be treated better or at least more fairly in future.

I've detailed written notes of the conversation but if I could receive the bank's telephone recording of call I feel my case would be much stronger. (i.e I would be able to go through the call line by line) so I could be 100% accurate that most or all the information given to me during the call was incorrect.

I'd appreciate some advice on the best way of obtaining what I need, I'm a little concerned that on listening to the call the bank might decide not to release it.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Genghis

The Bank can't decide to not release data at their discretion or if they feel releasing it would harm their interest. Pretty much all data held on you including call recordings must be provided on request (with the nominal fee paid). They would invite inspection from DPC if they failed to provide your call transcript without a legitimate reason.

For example, I don't know if there is a requirement to store call recordings for a set time but if say the Bank delete all calls after X time and that's elapsed then they legitimately can't provide it.

I would think your notes would be adequate evidence for your complaint even if no call recording exists.

Make your request I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Out of interest, what was the information given that turned out to be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hopskipandjump

My credit union only keep recordings for 30 days and destroy them after that. I wouldn't imagine any institution would keep them for a year. You can always ask for your records under the Freedom of Information Act and see what written notes were put on the file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

My credit union only keep recordings for 30 days and destroy them after that. I wouldn't imagine any institution would keep them for a year. You can always ask for your records under the Freedom of Information Act and see what written notes were put on the file.

thats nuts. they should be keeping them for 6 years after the relationship with the customer ends....not 30 days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

daheff wrote: »
    thats nuts. they should be keeping them for 6 years after the relationship with the customer ends....not 30 days.

The requirement works the opposite way, they are only allowed to retain data that is necessary for the functioning of their business. It is entirely up to them, if they destroy documentation they would later need that is their problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement