Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2018 season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Probably draw CIE at home now, great tie as the club will advance but will lose a fair few quid on match day expenses.

Given that non league teams are involved I'd look at asking someone like Fairview to use the fairgreen. They've got a club bar and would be happy to see two or three hundred show up and spend some money there or to Jackman in preparation for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limerick drawn at home to Cabinteely in the 2nd round of the FAI cup, ties to be played on the weekend of August 25th.

Not a money spinner by any means, but should see us safely through to the quarter-finals.

Cabinteely at home, could be tricky as Cabinteely have some alright players with Kieran Marty Waters being the stand out but at least cup could be a distraction. Was hoping to draw maybe Shels or Drogs away as a sort of match to gauge how we'd fare in a play off game.

Seeing as it's Cabinteely and they probably won't bring any fans and the club only get half the gate that they should honestly look at holding the game away from the Markets field.

Seeing as it's Cabinteely and they probably won't bring any fans and the club only get half the gate that they should honestly look at holding the game away from the Markets field.
    You'd imagine that would just further strain the relationship.

osarusan wrote: »
    You'd imagine that would just further strain the relationship.

No way the club will be there anyway next season unless rent is halved at a minimum and even then is a part time amateur team gonna pull in more than 500 to 600 fans, just getting over 700 at the moment like so I say **** the LEDP.

• Advertisement

Limerick 1-3 Sligo

(Duggan)

Limerick are pretty much consigned to the playoffs after a tame defeat to Sligo.

The fist half was quiet enough, with neither side doing much to threaten, until Sligo took the lead. A cross was cleared, but whipped back into the box for a glancing header past Holland. I can't remember Limerick creating anything of note in the first half.

We had two great chances in about 3 minutes early in the second half. First, a Sean Kelly cross to the far post was skied over by an unmarked Will Fitzgerald, and soon after, Karl O'Sullivan danced past a few players and into the box with the help of a lovely one-two with Ellis, but he scuffed his shot and it was saved.

Just a few minutes later, Wearen bundled over a player for a penalty, and the game looked lost. We did pull one back when Duggan found space after a quick freekick and fired home from the edge of the box, but they put it to bed just a couple of minutes later, when Cretaro waltzed past a couple of defenders before walloping the ball into the top corner from about 25 yards.

And that was that. We huffed and puffed, but that was all we had, and we have no realistic chance of changing our league position between now and the end of the season.

Next game:
    home to Cabinteely in the FAI Cup, Friday August 24th.

Gonna be a miserable year in the first Divison because that's where this team is heading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Gonna be a miserable year in the first Divison because that's where this team is heading.
    Absymal from Killian Brouder tonight, horrendous. How he lasted on the field as long as he did is beyond me. Actually I do know, because the bench that's there isn't worth a bollocks.

Shane Duggan was easily our best player but I'm not exactly telling you the lotto numbers there.
    Thought the penalty looked quite soft, I'll see Monday I suppose.
    Nothing else really alarming of note, typical poor Limerick.

First Division aside, it's going to be hard to get anyone to watch the team if they're in Jackman. Even I'd be reluctant going in there it's so miserable.

Absymal from Killian Brouder tonight, horrendous. How he lasted on the field as long as he did is beyond me. Actually I do know, because the bench that's there isn't worth a bollocks.

Shane Duggan was easily our best player but I'm not exactly telling you the lotto numbers there.
    Thought the penalty looked quite soft, I'll see Monday I suppose.
    Nothing else really alarming of note, typical poor Limerick.

First Division aside, it's going to be hard to get anyone to watch the team if they're in Jackman. Even I'd be reluctant going in there it's so miserable.

Hard to replace Brouder when you've got no defenders on the bench. I would have said push Cantwell into CB instead of Brouder, drop O'Sullivan back to RB, Ellis out wide to bring Morrissey on but Cantwell must have went off injured at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

I thought Limerick were unlucky on Friday night. They dominated possession and should really have taken the lead,but as has been the problem all season long defensive lapses told. When you have a total novice and a converted midfielder as your center back pairing your going to concede sloppy goals. I said it at the time but leaving Dean Whitehead go will prove costly particularly in a playoff situation.

Has Tommy Barrett experimented with 2 up front this year? Pairing Connor Ellis and Danny Morrissey together might be a reasonable gamble giving the position. Nothing to loose at this stage. Connor looks lost up on he's own and a partnership should be tried in my opinion to get the best out of him.

• Advertisement

Has Tommy Barrett experimented with 2 up front this year? Pairing Connor Ellis and Danny Morrissey together might be a reasonable gamble giving the position. Nothing to loose at this stage. Connor looks lost up on he's own and a partnership should be tried in my opinion to get the best out of him.
    Don't think so, thought that was what he was going to do when Morrissey came on yesterday but sadly not. Would've been a better move.

I thought Limerick were unlucky on Friday night. They dominated possession and should really have taken the lead,but as has been the problem all season long defensive lapses told.
    It was similar to most of the season - a lot of huff and puff but the lack of quality up front means we don't take our chances, and the makeshift defence will always cough up a goal.

Can't imagine there will be much of a crowd for Cabinteely tonight, maybe 500 people?

osarusan wrote: »
    It was similar to most of the season - a lot of huff and puff but the lack of quality up front means we don't take our chances, and the makeshift defence will always cough up a goal.

Can't imagine there will be much of a crowd for Cabinteely tonight, maybe 500 people?
    I'd imagine the same, think there was 600 at the Cobh game on what was a horrible night so maybe more?

Cobh game was nearly 5 months ago, a lot has happened since then. I'd say 400 at most.

FAI Cup 2nd round: Limerick 2-1 Cabinteely

(Ellis, Maguire)

Limerick managed to make hard work of what probably should have been a comfortable tie at home to a lower division team, in front of max 400 people.

The first half was played at a fairly slow pace, and there weren't many chances for either side. Cabinteely did force Holland to make a save from a looping header that nearly crossed the line. We took the lead after about 30 minutes, when we pressured their fullback into a rash backpass, which Ellis intercepted, and then rounded the keeper before sidefooting home from a narrow angle.

We went 2-0 up about 20 minutes into the second half. Ellis did really well to hold onto the ball and advance towards goal, eventually getting the ball into a dangerous area. The first effort was blocked, but Barry Maguire was following up to slam it in from about 8 yards out.

That should have been that, and the next 20 minutes were fairly uneventful, but Cabinteely never gave up, and began to get possession deeper and deeper inside our half. Right on 90 minutes they scored, poking home after a header from a corner had been blocked, and even after that, they worked their way into the box down the Limerick right, and a glancing shot from a cross needed a fine save from Tommy Holland to prevent a goal, and see Limerick into the quarter-finals.

Next game: home to Dundalk, Friday August 31st.

Limerick have been drawn at home to Dundalk in the quarter-finals of the FAI cup.

Hopefully a decent crowd and a few quid.

Game will be played on the weekend of Sunday Sept 9th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

The magic of the cup, anything can happen!!

In reality is getting a good crowd and a little bit more cash really a good thing? It's just delaying the inevitable really. Let the club die and start again.

Cup games don't bring cash anyway. Take the Cabo game and we'll say there was 350 people at the game, and they all paid 10 euros to get in which is €3,500 and after you've given Cabo and the FAI their share of the gate you're left with €1,400 which covers about half the rent to host the game.

And after playing Dundalk this Friday night in the league and the possibility of another 8-0 defeat and we'll be looking at the same numbers who showed up for the Cabo match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Paddico

Might head along to this.
    Will be a tough game but getting through would be fantastic

• Advertisement

Watched the highlights this week of the Cabo game and dear lord, it wasn't inspiring. Beating one of the worst, albeit most improving, sides in the league by the odd goal along with conceding stupidly to them and seemingly holding on in the finish - The best draw we could have got was Longford but even that was in no way a guaranteed win.

Dundalk at home two weeks in a row, I honestly don't know how anyone, excluding the people who just go regardless, would be excited enough to want to attend either of the games. I was at the last Dundalk game at home, all it did was act as a reminder that we are a million miles behind them and the upper part of the league. Regardless of how good of football they played that day, how the f*ck could you enjoy it when your side is being played off the park?

The Leader then with the headline of Limerick getting a 'glamour tie'. Jesus Christ we're Limerick FC, a senior League of Ireland team who has played them three times already, not bloody Newmarket Celtic.

Here are the highlights:

Moral victories don't put points on the board but that was one hell of a performance from the lads, easily deserved a point and say Dundalk will be sending their strongest 11 back to Limerick next week after tonight. Only pity is we gotta wait until our season is over to finally put it up to Dundalk.

Sorry folks, was out for a few pints, but better late than never...

Limerick 0-1 Dundalk

Dundalk grabbed a late winner against a resilient Limerick tonight.

The first half was fairly even. We allowed Dundalk the run of the pitch, and they were free to pass the ball inside our half, but we kept our shape and limited them to a few shots from distance, and one header, while we forced their keeper into a decent save from a glancing header after a long throw.

It was much the same in the second half, with Dundalk sloppy in possession, and Limerick disciplined in defence and increasingly threatening on the counter. But with 10 minutes to go they got their goal. A ball into the box saw a clash of players, and within everybody looking at the referee, a Dundalk player reacted fastest to rifle the breaking ball past Holland.

After that they saw it out fairly comfortably for the win.

Next game: home to Dundalk in the FAI Cup quarter-final, Friday September 7th, 7.45pm.

Pitch looks shìte. Was up in Hogan Park for the 15s game against Cork and the pitch looks much better

Pitch looks sh. Was up in Hogan Park for the 15s game against Cork and the pitch looks much better

Yeah, needed to be rolled, also the grass was a bit long.

It was atrocious early in the season, until Kenny Shiels ranted about it. Then it improved quite a bit, but seems to be on the wane again.

FAI Cup Quarter Final: Limerick 0-4 Dundalk

Dundalk made short work of Limerick tonight. They were sloppy last week, but were up for it right from the start tonight.

They went ahead after only 4 minutes, getting in behind down the right, and squaring the ball for a tap-in from about 6 yards. It was 2-0 midway through the half, with a backpost header that Holland couldn't keep from crossing the line. And it was 3-0 before half-time, as they again got in down the right and put the ball across the box for another easy finish.

The second was played at a slower pace, but they upped it whenever they wanted, and made it 4 with about 20 minutes to go. We lost it in midfield, and quick as a flash they were attacking our back 4, slipping in a striker to fire low past Holland.

It was only then that we got any space to play, and the best we could muster was probably a Maguire header from a corner that needed a fingertip save.

But overall they dominated from start to finish all over the pitch. The gulf in quality was massive,and we couldn't even begin to compete with them.

We are not at home until October 5th, when we will play Derry.

Next game: away to Shamrock Rovers, Friday September 14th, 8pm.

I've lost my knack for crowd counting. Was there ~700 would I be right in saying?

On last night, not a whole pile of note as we were just beaten by a better side. Simple as.
    Poor from Holland on the second goal, Karl O'Sullivan had some moments. Best chances we got were from that string of corners in the second half. Some dire officiating at times but I think we're well used to it at this stage. I would have been happy if we'd lost by 2 or less and/or got a goal but sadly not.

• Advertisement

Advertisement