Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2018 season

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

In terms of what Limerick owe, its rumoured to be over €250,000 between UL and a few other companies/institutions:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I haven't been in there since the school closed but there were a number of pitches including an all-weather pitch there. It would probably have needed a good deal of investment but I always thought that it would have been a good location for Limerick FC to base itself. Its close to South Hill and O'Malley Park and a youth centre with links to these communities would have being fantastic. The latest I heard was that Limerick GAA were looking at planning permission for a number of pitches there for their own development teams. Football's loss is the GAA's gain I guess.

Anyone hear of any transfer rumours? What are the Dennehy bros up to? Any chance of attracting them down for the year.

Don't think Endas ever had an all weather pitch. They had an indoor sports hall which would have been perfect for futsal which is something I think all youth teams should be doing.

Think the GAA have levelled the sports building as it was beyond repair, think I read they're spending over a million quid to build it back up and work on the pitches.

There's a few lads training with them at the moment, Eoin Wearen who played with Bohs is down training as well as Connor Ellis from Cork. There's a lad from England called Levi Gilmar Di Silvà Fernandez training as well as another guy who haven't a clue what his name is and only showed up today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Anyone hear of any transfer rumours? What are the Dennehy bros up to? Any chance of attracting them down for the year.
    Eoin Wearen from Bohs, Shaun Kelly, Jason Hughes and Conor Ellis of Cork have all been training. Conor Ellis is expected to sign on loan soon.

https://twitter.com/Cunneen92/status/951509401701093376
    Transfermarkt.com is the only place I can get info on him, couple of articles floating around about him because him and Neymar look somewhat similar.

According to The Sun, Rovers are interested in Ronan Coughlan and Joel Coustrain.

According to The Sun, Rovers are interested in Ronan Coughlan and Joel Coustrain.

Would love to see the lads playing with Limerick, Coughlan was signed to the 19s before moving to England and Coustrain was in training with the club last summer before joining Balla.

Would love to see the lads playing with Limerick, Coughlan was signed to the 19s before moving to England and Coustrain was in training with the club last summer before joining Balla.
    Absolutely, lads like that we should be looking at in our current situation. I was speaking to my brother lately discussing what Junior players we reckon would be worth a go with Limerick and he reckoned Stephen McGann (played before granted) and Danny O'Neill which I would agree with, anyone else you'd like to see?

Speaking of local lads, former Limerick FC and Newcastle West AFC player Liam McCartan is after signing with Wexford. He signed with Athlone Town last July.

https://twitter.com/WexfordFC/status/951544469031149568

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I definitely think Joel and Ronan should be asked in. In saying that they might have been asked and either turned it down or are going to show up in a few weeks.

A manage has to be the priority though. Let him come in and start talking to players.

On the Bruff situation I think it is a combination of the amount of land available and the facilities for staying over two of the main reasons they went for Bruff. It has dorms, kitchens, bathrooms, classrooms and acres of land. The club want it to be a revenue stream outside of match night. They have had groups stay there already including exchange students and sports teams. Ballinamallard had their underage down and are looking to bring their senior team down for a pre-season. It could be a greag option if developed right. The club are going to be receiving grants of €250,000 a year for the next few years to develop it also. Before buying Bruff the club also looked into about 20 greenfield sites across the city and couldn’t find anything suitable. Bruff is only 20 minutes from the city centre also so not too far. All over the uk teams train 30-40minites outside of the city is its not unusual.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Limerick owe businesses money. Sadly it’s the the story with most LOI clubs. You can’t get a premier license though until you start clearing those debts so you would hope that it done soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 midg23

We started the 2018 Limerick FC podcast last night and you can check it out here.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6595598-2018-episode-1

Let us know what you think and anything that you'd like to see discussed.

Tommy Barrett is the new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Christ. Very worried for season ahead.

Wow that is pretty worrying, Limerick to finish bottom with 17 points...Calling it now

• Advertisement

I'd love to see Tommy succeed, he's a local lad and a sound bloke. But this appointment says that nobody else wanted the job and screams we've no money.

I'd love to see Tommy succeed, he's a local lad and a sound bloke. But this appointment says that nobody else wanted the job and screams we've no money.

Agree, love if he did well but it points to the cheap option to be honest

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

I wanted him to get the job when Russell was sacked, would of had a half decent squad then and a decent starting 11 but at this stage he's been handed half a squad and told sink or swim. It's not going to end well for Tommy imo, would love do be proved wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

I'm starting to wonder where Limerick FC would be currently if Martin Russel hadn't been sacked and instead he was kept on.Why sack him and pay him out only to then take on an English manager with no LOI experience and who presumably was on a a lot more money when in a years time the money to the club was going to be pulled. The short term outlook from the people running the club is staggering.

Its amazes me that we've gone from a potentially well run club with aspirations for Europe to relegation certainties in the space of a year. I think Pat O'Sullivan and the board must have placed all their eggs in the Europe basket last year. Once they realised that this wasn't going to happen they have had to pull the plug. A lot of players were left go and were never replaced. I'm grateful for Pat for what he has done but it would seem a lot of money was thrown away needlessly after a rash call to sack Martin after the result at home to Cork and to replace him by installing an expensive management ticket.

Having said all that we are where we are and I wish Tommy well and hopefully he can come in and manage some miracles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

16 training this morning in UL. Lot of young faces. I presume chedozie will be flogged soon to provide a cash infusion into the tin. Talks Conor Ellis going back to cork. Limerick are screwed.

I'm starting to wonder where Limerick FC would be currently if Martin Russel hadn't been sacked and instead he was kept on.Why sack him and pay him out only to then take on an English manager with no LOI experience and who presumably was on a a lot more money when in a years time the money to the club was going to be pulled. The short term outlook from the people running the club is staggering.

Its amazes me that we've gone from a potentially well run club with aspirations for Europe to relegation certainties in the space of a year. I think Pat O'Sullivan and the board must have placed all their eggs in the Europe basket last year. Once they realised that this wasn't going to happen they have had to pull the plug. A lot of players were left go and were never replaced. I'm grateful for Pat for what he has done but it would seem a lot of money was thrown away needlessly after a rash call to sack Martin after the result at home to Cork and to replace him by installing an expensive management ticket.

Having said all that we are where we are and I wish Tommy well and hopefully he can come in and manage some miracles.

If Russel was kept on imo we'd have been relegated. I liked Russell as a person and a coach, his views on football and especially youth football were positive but as a manager he seemed stubborn and unwilling to change up how his team's play. If plan A wasn't working he'd keep at it until it finally worked and too many teams knew how to nullify it.

I'd say there was more money needlessly thrown away by the club long before McDonald came in. At the beginning of the 2015 season Pat came out with a similar speech on how the club needs to live within its means and that he couldn't keep pumping his own money in but fast forward 12 months and the club were paying full time wages for a part time schedule cause think they only trained at most twice a week to play against part time players and kids.
    16 training this morning in UL. Lot of young faces. I presume chedozie will be flogged soon to provide a cash infusion into the tin. Talks Conor Ellis going back to cork. Limerick are screwed.

Any sign of Eddie Hickey at training or are Brendan and Freddie still training by themselves?

Also who was taking the training session, was Kinder and Gamble there?

Pre season fixture against Shelbourne on Sunday, Feb 4th kick off 3pm up in Larney Park in Finglas. Still no announcement from either club about the Longford game and Limerick have said nothing about the Galway game but is listed on the Galway website as Saturday, 20th kick off 6.30pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No doubt, and so obviously the cheap option that I doubt we'll have the money to bring in anybody of real quality from other LOI clubs (especially as many of those are already signed up anyway). Perhaps he can attract the best of the local talent to join the club.

Anyway, unless the finances change and soon, I think it's going to be a long and grim season, and a sign of what's to come after O'Sullivan separates himself from the club completely.

LIFT
    After Pat O’Sullivans video released by the club last week, LIFT propose now is the time for the fans of Limerick Football Club to come out and show our support. We suggest the Trust, with the support of Limerick fans everywhere can become an important part of the future of the club.

LIFT are calling a public meeting for Wednesday January 24th at 8pm in Jerry O’Deas Bar on Mulgrave Street. We would call on anyone with any interest in Senior football in Limerick to come in for information on what we are about.

We would like to thank all those who have continued to support the Trust to date and also those new members that have joined in more recent times.

If you have an interest in joining up and “helping us to help Limerick FC” then you can contact us at limerickseniorfootballtrust@gmail.com

Yours in Sport,

LIFT Committee.

#strongertogether

Barry Cotter across the pond on trial...if we can get €10,000 we should take it...his nowhere near good enough

• Advertisement

Barry Cotter across the pond on trial...if we can get €10,000 we should take it...his nowhere near good enough
    With Ogbene in Ipswich I hear?

With Ogbene in Ipswich I hear?

Yeah thats what i overheard today ha ha

Cotter is still 19, hardly the finished article. Paudie at the same age had two seasons behind him and was still learning. Connor Ellis was a goal machine at 19s but hasn't gotten a sniff at senior level.

Barry needs to check his attitude though, physically English clubs would love him as he's very athletic but if he doesn't change his attitude they'll toss him to the curb in an instance. Changes his attitude and a couple of years in England will do him the world of good.

Eoin Wearen supposedly signing this week also.

Cotter is still 19, hardly the finished article. Paudie at the same age had two seasons behind him and was still learning. Connor Ellis was a goal machine at 19s but hasn't gotten a sniff at senior level.

Barry needs to check his attitude though, physically English clubs would love him as he's very athletic but if he doesn't change his attitude they'll toss him to the curb in an instance. Changes his attitude and a couple of years in England will do him the world of good.

Eoin Wearen supposedly signing this week also.
    Could very well be him tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/LimerickFCie/status/953357950411780096

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

Very surprised to hear that Joel Coustrain has signed with Shamrock Rovers. Surely we should be trying to attract the local players if they return form the UK. If he's good enough to land a contract with the Shams hes certainly good enough for Limerick FC. Despite trailing with us last year he was never taken on. Poor decision making.

I said it last year with regard to Paudie leaving that I believe it would be advantageous for Barry Cotter's development to get a full year of playing football in the Premier League before leaving for the UK. He needs to work on and develop he's positioning and decision making to even consider making it a career as a professional footballer.

I don't understand how we've gone from having an incredible team in the first division to a point now where we can't even sign players out of contract. It really is poor foresight and planning by the people running the club. I remember Pat coming out after we got relegated saying that he couldn't sustain the club by himself which is fine and admirable but instead of going down a path of self sufficiency we ramped up and forked out on a unsustainable squad of players. Looking at the rest of the league with regards attendance we should be on the same financial footing as clubs such as Derry and Sligo.

Very surprised to hear that Joel Coustrain has signed with Shamrock Rovers. Surely we should be trying to attract the local players if they return form the UK. If he's good enough to land a contract with the Shams hes certainly good enough for Limerick FC. Despite trailing with us last year he was never taken on. Poor decision making.

I said it last year with regard to Paudie leaving that I believe it would be advantageous for Barry Cotter's development to get a full year of playing football in the Premier League before leaving for the UK. He needs to work on and develop he's positioning and decision making to even consider making it a career as a professional footballer.

I don't understand how we've gone from having an incredible team in the first division to a point now where we can't even sign players out of contract. It really is poor foresight and planning by the people running the club. I remember Pat coming out after we got relegated saying that he couldn't sustain the club by himself which is fine and admirable but instead of going down a path of self sufficiency we ramped up and forked out on a unsustainable squad of players. Looking at the rest of the league with regards attendance we should be on the same financial footing as clubs such as Derry and Sligo.

I wouldn’t be worried about losing out on joel. I would like to have seen us sign him as he is a local lad with some experience and might have worked out, but he trialed with a few teams and wasn’t picked up by any of them and ended up in junior. Was surprised to see him sign for Rovers.

They ramped up in the first divison because if we got stuck there again we would have been left with 200-300 max at games and been in big trouble then. There was a big budget there last season but it was not used well at all. Can understand the step back now. The people of Limerick, fans, businesses etc... can’t have expected it to go on forever.

20 year old Striker Conor Ellis in from Cork, signs a 2-year deal.

EDIT: Eoin Wearen signs also, used to be with Bohs. Handy midfield player, but injury-prone.

I think this is complete (as of the time of posting):
    Manager: Tommy Barrett

Goalkeeper:
    Brendan Clarke
    Freddy Hall

Defenders:
    Tony Whitehead
    Barry Cotter
    Killian Brouder
    Shane Tracy

Midfielders:
    Shane Duggan
    Cian Coleman
    Henry Cameron
    William Fitzgerald
    Daniel Kearns
    Eoin Wearen

Strikers:
    Chedozie Ogbene
    Danny Morrissey
    Conor Ellis

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

osarusan wrote: »
    I think this is complete (as of the time of posting):

its coming together slowly but surely. any word on Lee-J signing back?

• Advertisement

damowill wrote: »
    its coming together slowly but surely. any word on Lee-J signing back?
    Apparently, it's a money issue.

Advertisement