Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2018 season

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would be a weird signing, already 3 strikers on the books and play with a lone striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

A few were giving out we didn’t pick up Ronan Coughlan. I suppose if he is moving back home and We can get him in it’s worth a shot. He might be able to play out wide also. Still need another CM as a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Jofspring wrote: »
    A few were giving out we didn’t pick up Ronan Coughlan. I suppose if he is moving back home and We can get him in it’s worth a shot. He might be able to play out wide also. Still need another CM as a priority.

McGowan left Barnsley back in early 2017 i think, so been without a club for a bit

That's before we signed any other strikers though or even when we only had Morrissey signed, Coughlan was available since the summer but now that we have 3 first team strikers it would seem crazy to bring in another striker when as you said we badly need cover for CM or a starting LB and have Tracy cover both positions from the bench.
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    McGowan left Barnsley back in early 2017 i think, so been without a club for a bit

He's been playing junior football with Newmarket Celtic since October.

• Advertisement

https://mobile.twitter.com/CapitalLimerick/status/966320753967845376

This was posted by Capital Limerick today (Dublin based Limerick business people) and from some comments the people involved in Capital Limerick are serious business people. Would be interesting to know what's the relationship between Limerick fc and Capital Limerick, are Capital Limerick helping the club to try and attract investment from Dublin.

With the FAI in attendance maybe it has something to do with the five year strategic plan. Also in Capital Limericks tweet they say its a Limerick fc planned event but when you look up number for Colm Hayes he's Dublin based so seem stranges to be contacting someone Dublin based for a Limerick fc planned event.

I'd say you could be on the right track there. The club haven't publicised it anywhere so it seems to be aimed at certain people rather than the fans. Most likely investors and businesses.

But then you've gotta wonder why it's advertised as a public meeting so anyone could attend. Think Capital Limerick tweeting about could be a massive own goal for the club too. A lot of fans feel the club is too secretive and now you've got a public meeting in Dublin which the club didn't publicise and no one would have known unless Capital Limerick didn't tweet about it.

But then you've gotta wonder why it's advertised as a public meeting so anyone could attend. Think Capital Limerick tweeting about could be a massive own goal for the club too. A lot of fans feel the club is too secretive and now you've got a public meeting in Dublin which the club didn't publicise and no one would have known unless Capital Limerick didn't tweet about it.

I think the answer is in what you are saying. It's a public meeting in the sense of it is not invite only but Limerick FC aren't advertising it so it's not really aimed at fans. It looks like it was sent out in an e-mail to certain individuals and capital Limerick, who I feel are involved in, decided to post it on Twitter.

It's not really a public meeting to go ask questions about comings and goings with the senior team but looks to be more of a sales pitch about the potential of the club and what has been done before with the hope people with money get involved.

While I agree the club need to be more open and honest with the fans I also think an open meeting with fans would be an awful idea and I can't think of one club in world football that would do it. It would just turn into one huge arguement.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cunneen92/status/966653954464649216

Barry Maguire, Irish born and former Dutch underage international is training with Limerick according to Andrew Cunneen. Plays in midfield, bags of experince playing in Holland and would be a good signing.
    I think the answer is in what you are saying. It's a public meeting in the sense of it is not invite only but Limerick FC aren't advertising it so it's not really aimed at fans. It looks like it was sent out in an e-mail to certain individuals and capital Limerick, who I feel are involved in, decided to post it on Twitter.

It's not really a public meeting to go ask questions about comings and goings with the senior team but looks to be more of a sales pitch about the potential of the club and what has been done before with the hope people with money get involved.

While I agree the club need to be more open and honest with the fans I also think an open meeting with fans would be an awful idea and I can't think of one club in world football that would do it. It would just turn into one huge arguement.

If they tried to hold that meeting in Limerick and invited Capital Limerick down for it which I've seen suggested they'd run a mile as it would descend into chaos so I agree 110% with the club about having it in Dublin. Plus Capital Limerick are Dublin based and that's where the FAI are also based so makes sense to travel up especially if you're pitching for investment from outside the mid west. Just feel Capital Limerick shouldn't have tweeted about it as it now adds more fuel to the why can't the club be more open and honest.

Think most clubs that are fan owned, co-op or whatever else there is out there, more or less clubs that have fans involved or membership schemes would do stuff like that. I know Liverpool have a supporters committee which has worked well for them, especially when they wanted to up the prices of tickets plus the protests helped also. Think something like that is what the Limerick supports trust should push, get two people or more depending on numbers somewhat involved with the club and be the middle men who'll voice the fans concerns directly to the club and pass on information to its members about decisions the club has taken and why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Young Willie Fitz would wanna work on his weaker foot. Was raging he didn't score, possibly the best young player to come through the academy so far.
    Perfecting that weaker foot would give my willy fits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cunneen92/status/966653954464649216

Barry Maguire, Irish born and former Dutch underage international is training with Limerick according to Andrew Cunneen. Plays in midfield, bags of experince playing in Holland and would be a good signing.
    Jaysus, loads of experience alright, but the downward trajectory is startling.

Went from playing Europa League and nearly 100 Dutch eredivisie games, then to the bench in the Norwegian 1st division, and then dropped to Dutch 3rd division and semi-professional status...at 27.

Wonder what has happened to him, and what would be left in his tank.

Yeah on paper it looks a bit worrying alright, to go from 200 league appreances in the top two divisions in Holland to then end up in Norway and not playing much to come back to the third tier in Holland.

It's hard to judge though what level the league here is compared to others, the most worrying thing I'd see is he hasn't played since the summer but also means the club don't have to rush into a decision before today's deadline.

Tommy seems to be building a team filled with players that have a point to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 midg23

Check out episode 7 where we discuss Limericks victory in Sligo, look ahead to Bohs, and discuss players in and players out.
    https://audioboom.com/posts/6688601-episode-7

Limerick 1-1 Bohemians

(Coleman)

Bohs snatched a late late equaliser tonight in a bitterly cold Market's Field.

The first half was something of a non-event, with long balls the order of the day, and both defences comfortably in control. I don't think either keeper having any kind of save to make.

We took the lead about 10 minutes into the second half. Billy Dennehy swung in a cross from the right wing, Mark O'Sullivan couldn't make contact, but Duggan was arriving at the far post. He chested it down and fired a shot back across goal, and Cian Coleman was there first to crash it into the net.

After that, the game opened up a bit. Bohs were pressing but still not creating much, while we looked to hit them on the break. As the clock ticked down, we defended deeper and deeper, and eventually paid the price. A ball into the box was headed more centrally by one Bohs player, and as Limerick fans shouted for offside, another Bohs player placed a header just inside Clarke's left post.

There was still time for Limerick to muster a couple of attacks, but nothing came of them, and in the end a draw was probably a fair result.

Next game:
    away to Dundalk, Tuesday February 27th.

Next weekend: home to Shamrock Rovers, Saturday March 3rd.

Pitch was shocking, looked like there was a match played on it everyday since the season finished.

Pitch was shocking, looked like there was a match played on it everyday since the season finished.

Rugby played on it recently and rugby being played on it again Wednesday. I know it’s a municipal ground but it’s scandalous that rugby is being played on it when you consider the amount of excellent rugby grounds around Limerick.

Rugby played on it recently and rugby being played on it again Wednesday. I know it’s a municipal ground but it’s scandalous that rugby is being played on it when you consider the amount of excellent rugby grounds around Limerick.

If I was Barry Lynch I'd refuse to do any work on that pitch this season. Man busts his balls especially during the summer when you could say he nearly lives in the ground, for the LEDP to hand the pitch back after the off season in worse condition than it was back in October and it was in bad nick at the end of the season.

Also Jeff McGowen was signed by the club and they're waiting on international clearance for Barry Maguire, confirmed by TB in his post match interview.

• Advertisement

Highlights of Limerick 1-1 Bohs.

I had forgotten about O'Sullivan's miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

nearly 2,500 at the game. thats a decent size crowd. hopefully limerick and people from the mid-west will come out to support them. dundalk away tonight and Shamrock Rovers at home on Saturday 6.30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Any radio link for dundalk game

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

Limk down 2-0 after 10 minutes

Any radio link for dundalk game

Dundalk FM have it.

A load of changes to the Limerick team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Dundalk FM have it.

A load of changes to the Limerick team.

Colm Walsh-O'Loghlen, Willy Fitz, Killian Cantwell and Conor Ellis into the starting eleven.
    Tony Whitehead, Cian Coleman, Daniel Kearns and Mark O'Sullivan out to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

3-0...Looks like Limerick are in a hiding to nothing. Let's just hope it's not the start of the terrible run a lot of us feared pre-season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

This is going from bad to worse..

6 - 0 down and about 20 mins left

Dundalk 8-0 Limerick

Obviously a horrible night for Limerick in a snowy Oriel Park.

Until tonight, we had been somewhat fortunate in that both Sligo and Bohs just thumped the ball towards our back 4, which is how Limerick would like the opposition to play. But Dundalk play much more of a passing game, and present a completely different test for our defence...a test we obviously failed miserably.

I wasn't at it, so just going by updates and occasional snippets of commentary from Dundalk FM, and all that was pretty grim to follow. 2 down after 10 minutes, 4 at half time. 2 in 2 minutes midway through the second half, and another couple late on. Sounds like just a barrage of attack all night, and a depleted Limerick team simply had no way to handle it.

Not sure what a manager can say to his team after that, other than just try and get everybody to put it behind them, and the next game is only 4 days away.

Next game: Home to Shamrock Rovers, Saturday March 3rd, 6.30pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

8-0 final score ouch

Advertisement