Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2018 season

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Finished 8-0. Bloody hell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Meh, a lot of changes against one of the best teams in the country that we don’t have the depth for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Jofspring wrote: »
    Meh, a lot of changes against one of the best teams in the country that we don’t have the depth for.

Is Tommy picking his battles, keeping players for the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Is Tommy picking his battles, keeping players for the weekend

Only player I'd say that was rested was Mark O'Sullivan. I know Whitehead didn't start but wouldn't say there's anything between Cantwell and Whitehead. Everyone else was sick or carrying a knock. Let's just hope Coleman is back as the midfield was non existent and that the shït pitch plays to our advantage by keeping the score line respectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Only player I'd say that was rested was Mark O'Sullivan. I know Whitehead didn't start but wouldn't say there's anything between Cantwell and Whitehead. Everyone else was sick or carrying a knock. Let's just hope Coleman is back as the midfield was non existent and that the shït pitch plays to our advantage by keeping the score line respectable.

O' Sullivan will need to come back into the team. we need someone who can lead from the front, makes the ball stick and bring others into the game. Rodrigo did this last year but didnt run the channels enough. He made up for that with goals. But MOS can do a similar job, he will fight for every ball and holds it up well.

The Back 4 were badly exposed. Either playing too deep or playing too high a line. the 4 that played are as experienced as you will get in the LOI so there cant be any excuses there, but they did look disjointed and disorganised.

And the midifeld & wingers applied no pressure on Dundalk and offered no protection. Need Coleman in there badly. And Maguire when he is cleared to play might add something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 midg23

Episode 7B (we refused to call it 8 after the drubbing from Dundalk) is now up.

Check it out where we discuss whether the Bohs goal was offside or not and why it didn't matter, as well as why the dundalk result should not be fotgotten any time soon.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6701342-episode-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No surprise that Limerick's game against Shamrock Rovers on Saturday has been postponed due to bad weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Do you reckon we'd have put out a stronger team on Tuesday had we known we wouldn't be playing again until next week?

Do you reckon we'd have put out a stronger team on Tuesday had we known we wouldn't be playing again until next week?

Ya I think so. I wouldn’t be surprised if Kearns and Coleman were just 50/50 either their sickness and they said they may as well stay at home and be ready for Saturday.

I'd say it will be touch and go for the Bray match pitch wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mollymac57

Bray at home on Fri night is looking like a must win game for Limerick already, the proverbial 6 pointer. Bray looking like one of the weakest in the Div so a win would leave us 6 points ahead of them. That could prove crucial later.

mollymac57 wrote: »
    Bray at home on Fri night is looking like a must win game for Limerick already, the proverbial 6 pointer. Bray looking like one of the weakest in the Div so a win would leave us 6 points ahead of them. That could prove crucial later.

Yeah, Bray, Sligo, and maybe Bohs look like being pretty weak also, so if we can get a win against Bray, it will already be a decent first series against the other relegation candidates.

The problem we might face with Bray is that they are a passing team (albeit not that good at it), rather than a hoofing team like Bohs and Sligo were. Players like Aaron Greene will relish going up against our back 4.

osarusan wrote: »
    The problem we might face with Bray is that they are a passing team (albeit not that good at it), rather than a hoofing team like Bohs and Sligo were. Players like Aaron Greene will relish going up against our back 4.

With the pitch already being bad, the recent bad weather and tomorrow's rugby match I'd say there's no fear of Bray passing the ball around us.

Let's just hope he starts out left and Shaun Kelly does his trademark Shaun Kelly tackle. Greene won't be long going into hiding but the big fear is he'll start out right up against Tracy and Dennehy inside him. Think we might have the least mobile back four in the whole league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

How far in advance do tickets go on sale online?

Roundup of last week's fixtures here, the Dundalk brutality starts at 7.55.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Lee Jay signed with Arizona who play in the unofficial 4th tier of the USA

Hope he packed plenty of sun cream

How far in advance do tickets go on sale online?

On sale now from the limerick website.

Anybody interested in going to the Bray game should note that kick-off is on Friday at 7.45, not Saturday as usual. Tickets are available online here and you get a €3/€2discount on the matchday prices for stand/terrace tickets.

We are away to Derry on Monday March 12th - great bit of scheduling by the FAI.

Then that weekend we are at home again, to Cork, again on the Friday, March 16. It has been rescheduled for Friday to allow the postponed game with Shamrock rovers to take place on Monday, March 19. Not sure of that kickoff time yet.

Women's senior soccer team will be playing their home games for the 2018 season in the markets field. They play their first home game of the season this Sunday at 2pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Jofspring wrote: »
    On sale now from the limerick website.

Do they need to be printed out, or just shown on phone

phone should be fine as long as the barcode can be read

The phone does the trick. You should have got a link in an e-mail with your ticket. You can even screenshot the e-ticket so you have it in your photos for easy access and it will work.

On a side note: A lot have complained about the different category or games and prices but so far this season I have already saved €6 by pre-buying tickets online so I’m definitely happy with it.

Limerick 1-0 Bray Wanderers

(Morrissey)

A late goal saw Limerick pick up 3 valuable points against a shocking Bray team on a shocking pitch.

For most of the first half, Bray offered next to nothing in attack, and were content just to sit deep and make Limerick play in front of them. Our defence passed the ball back and forth in midfield, but rarely managed to trouble them. We had a goal from a corner disallowed for a foul on the keeper, and Daniel Kearns fired a dangerous ball across the box, but nothing came of it. Our best chance was probably when Will Fitzgerald was put through, but with Conor Ellis waiting in the centre, a poor touch saw the chance wasted. I don't think Brendan Clarke had a save to make.

In the second half, it continued in much the same vein. Darren Dennehy missed a great chance to head in a corner early on, but after that we lacked any penetration struggled to use the ball in the final third. Bray looked a bit more lively on the break, and fashioned their best chance of the night when Aaron Greene got in behind our defence, but he fired straight at Clarke.

With 10 minutes to go, Kearns and Tracy combined on the left to give Tracy a chance to cross, and he swung in a super ball. It went all the way to the back post where substitute striker Danny Morrissey dived to head it back across the keeper.

Bray pressed a bit but didn't really create much or worry the Limerick defence much, and we say it out fairly comfortably. 7 points from the first 4 games is about 5 more than I'd have expected. Our likely relegation rivals are Bray, Sligo, and Bohs, and we've gone unbeaten against them too.

We also saw the debut of Barry Maguire, who looks like he will need games to get up to speed.

Next game: away to Derry City, Monday March 12th, 7.45pm

Next weekend:
    home to Cork, Friday March 16th, 7.30pm.
    home to Shamrock Rovers, Monday March 19th, 6.30pm.

Derry 5-0 Limerick

Derry's return to the Brandywell after 18 months of renovations was a triumphant one, with Limerick suffering another heavy defeat.

I wasn't there but was listening along on Radio Foyle. The first half wasn't too bad - Derry scored with a shot from the edge of the area, but Limerick seemed to fight their way back into the game. Even in the second half, we seemed to be fairly well in the game, without really threatening, until the hour mark.

But then we fell apart and conceded 3 goals in 8 minutes. Liam Coyle noted on radio that Limerick had just given up, and we conceded a penalty late on to make it 5.

A bit like Dundalk, where we didn't expect anything from the game really, but the score is still very ugly, and the visit of Cork this weekend isn't a game we can use to get over this either.

Next game: Home to Cork, Friday March 16th, 7.30pm.

Next Monday: Home to Shamrock Rovers, Monday, March 19th, 6.30pm.

osarusan wrote: »
    Derry 5-0 Limerick

Derry's return to the Brandywell after 18 months of renovations was a triumphant one, with Limerick suffering another heavy defeat.

I wasn't there but was listening along on Radio Foyle. The first half wasn't too bad - Derry scored with a shot from the edge of the area, but Limerick seemed to fight their way back into the game. Even in the second half, we seemed to be fairly well in the game, without really threatening, until the hour mark.

But then we fell apart and conceded 3 goals in 8 minutes. Liam Coyle noted on radio that Limerick had just given up, and we conceded a penalty late on to make it 5.

A bit like Dundalk, where we didn't expect anything from the game really, but the score is still very ugly, and the visit of Cork this weekend isn't a game we can use to get over this either.

Next game: Home to Cork, Friday March 16th, 7.30pm.

Next Monday: Home to Shamrock Rovers, Monday, March 19th, 6.30pm.

I watched bits of it on skorlive. we seemed to be doing pretty well even when 1nil down. it looked very likely we could get something out of the game. I'm just wondering though, once we go 2 goals (like Dundalk) do we show a bit of naivety by throwing causing to the wind and committing too many people forward? Rather than just trying to keep our defensive shape and continuing to play the same way?

Also, any update on Eoin Wearen? was it a bad injury do we know?

Probably more sure we'll never score two goals might as well not bother.

Seriously hope Tommy parks the bus at the weekend. 5 across the back and 4 across the midfield. Heck we won't be getting anything should name no striker and 5 across the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was at the game myself, and to be honest it was the most un-5 nil like game you'll see.

You were probably the slightly better team in the 1st half, despite being 1 behind. You passed and moved better than us.

Second half, we couldn't get the ball of you for the first 5 or 10 minutes, then when we got the 2nd you seemed to implode. Our goals all came so thick and fast I think your heads just went and you gave in.

But you acquitted yourselves well, maybe lacking a little in the final third.

Highlights of the 1-0 win against Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

May not want to see them, but highlights of the Derry v Limerick game.

http://www.derrycityfc.net/2018/03/derry-city-5-limerick-0-extended-highlights/

Ignore the 1st minute, its our asst manager doing his circus act.

Advertisement