Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2018 season

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Just the goals from the FAI Channel here:

Those goals were absolutely shambolic, I don't even know what to think about that penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It’s hard to watch us concede such bad goals against Derry and Dundalk when you consider how excellent we have been at home with defending. Players throwing their bodies in front of shots, no nonsense clearances, low risk. We have been hard to score against at home but completely falling apart in the two away games on Astro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Lovely finish by Ronan Hale, especially on his right foot and from that angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

Do Limerick train on grass or astro in Ul ?

mart 23 wrote: »
    Do Limerick train on grass or astro in Ul ?

Astro and they did train on grass last season during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Going to be a long hard season. Limerick have a squad worth less than when they were in the first division. Only saving grace is bray are worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limerick 1-1 Cork

(Billy Dennehy)

Super performance and excellent result for Limerick against Cork. We bravely lined up with 2 up front, and crucially maintained an attacking presence all night long. Cork had more territory and possession but didn't really create too many clear cut chances.

We took the lead after 17 minutes when Billy Dennehy intercepted a pass inside his own half, and advanced into the Cork half. With Cork players standing off and waiting for him to pass, he kept going and eventually fired a left foot shot low into the bottom left corner from about 20 yards out.

Cork pressed, and forced Brendan Clarke into a truly stunning fingertip save over the crossbar from a shot outside the box. They got back into it after 33 minutes. From a corner, there was some pushing and dragging in the box, and the ref gave a penalty which was converted.

In the second half Cork continued to have more of the ball, but still didn't make Clarke do too much. We probably had the better chances, with Sean Kelly testing McNulty from distance, substitute Karl O'Sullivan waltzing through a couple of tackles before firing straight at the keeper, and some dangerous crosses into the box.

Cork's best chance came right at the end, with Brendan Clarke making another fine save low to his right from a free kick just outside the area.

Super to see such fight and spirit in the team despite the recent results. Cian Coleman was absolutely outstanding tonight, as was Billy Dennehy at left full back, Kelly at right full, and Duggan hassled and harried and relieved pressure all night.

Great night of football really, and the Blue Army had the place rocking.

Next game: home to Shamrock Rovers, Monday March 19th, 6.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 midg23

https://soundcloud.com/user-297430158/episode-9

Episode 9 and Brendan Clarke came on with us!! Out and out straight talker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lionel ritchie

I have a couple of old drums I wanted to offer to supporters before seeking to dispose of them elsewhere -just because they're blue. 16" floor (has legs) and 20" bass drum.

AF1QipMXXTOkYce8in53DIMDyNbq5HswDDlCkJGztoTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Where would be the handiest place to park lads ?

• Advertisement

Where would be the handiest place to park lads ?

If you get there early park outside fuscos chipper across the road, or Mulgrave St.

Limerick 0-1 Shamrock Rovers

Another disciplined pressing performance tonight, even though it was a very young and inexperienced squad due to injuries to a number of first-team players, but one slip up late in the game cost us a point

The first half was mostly Rovers, although we had probably the best chance very early on when Will Fitzgerald beat the keeper to a through ball and flicked it over him, but a defender got back to block his shot. For the last 15 minutes of the half especially, it was just one Rovers attack after another, but they didn't really force Clarke to make any saves.

We were never under quite as much pressure in the second half, although Rovers had more of the ball. We pressed high, as we had done against Cork, and seemed to be coping ok. They didn't have any clear-cut chances, and we created some chances of our own, with Cian Coleman firing over from a tight angle, and Billy Dennehy firing a freekick low across the box only about 6 yards out, but nobody was there to get a touch to it.

But with 15 minutes to go, Rovers went ahead. Sean Kelly needlessly lunged in on a winger as he crossed from the endline, and they converted the penalty.

For the last 10 minutes we were doing the attacking, assisted by a straight red card for a Rovers player for a dangerous tackle. We knocked the ball into the box plenty of times, but I don't think we really tested the keeper. They had the best chance on a counter attack right at the end, after Brendan Clarke had come up for a corner, but the striker fired just wide.

Disappointing not to get a point, although Rovers probably deserved the win. But another spirited and disciplined performance, and if we can keep that in the squad, we will continue to pick up points.

Next game: away to St Pats, Friday March 23rd, 7.45pm.

Limerick 1-1 Cork highlights here.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 midg23

Episode 10 is up. Listen to us talk about Cork and Rovers as well as some of the younger lads putting their name forward for a starting spot.

https://soundcloud.com/user-297430158/episode-10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Do you think they should put in steps in place of that Grass bank on the south side side of the ground? It'll be a while until we see an actual ground renovation I'd imagine but this one I mentioned surely wouldn't be too painstaking/expensive.

There'll never be a ground renovation imo. Nothing's gonna happen unless Limerick pay for it which they'd be crazy to do and the LEDP will just say it's not a LOI ground, it suits them for everything they do outside Limerick fc and that the numbers don't justify building new stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

There'll never be a ground renovation imo. Nothing's gonna happen unless Limerick pay for it which they'd be crazy to do and the LEDP will just say it's not a LOI ground, it suits them for everything they do outside Limerick fc and that the numbers don't justify building new stands.

Sure Limerick and the FAI are the people who get charged to use the ground, Limerick get a bill of €2,000 a week during the season.

IRFU or Munster Branch get it for free

St. Pats 1-0 Limerick

I wasn't able to make this one (apparently my daughter's birthday party is more important, they only come once a year or some such nonsense:mad:), so I was just following updates online.

The first half seemed to be fairly even, with few chances for either side.

In the second, Pats gradually gained the upper hand, and held it for the rest of the game. They score just before the hour with a header from a free kick, and were still the team more likely to score again, with Limerick forced to defend. We did have one late chance from a Coleman header.

Disappointing result against one of the teams below us in the table (though they are above us now). With Bohemians winning, we are dropping down the table, but the good news is that Bohs beat Bray, which leaves them rooted to the bottom spot on just 1 point.

Next game: home to Waterford, Friday March 30th, 7.45pm.

Highlights of the 1-0 defeat to St Pats:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Lads what's the situation with away fans? I'll be travelling up on Friday, is there a bar inside or is there one that's friendly to away fans close by? Away section looks decent enough, never been to the market fields before. Looking forward to a good game. What's the home supporters feelings regarding Friday's fixture?

• Advertisement

Track Bar across the road from the Markets field is where most away fans seem to go for pre match drinks and there's no bar in the ground. Depends on which players are available, team could badly do with the win with Sligo only a point behind and a game in hand but I'll be happy. Anything is better than nothing and every point counts.

Track Bar across the road from the Markets field is where most away fans seem to go for pre match drinks and there's no bar in the ground. Depends on which players are available, team could badly do with the win with Sligo only a point behind and a game in hand but I'll be happy. Anything is better than nothing and every point counts.

Cheers for the reply. Looking forward to the game, I wouldn't be surprised if we won but I reckon a draw could be on the cards.

Looking forward to a good game.

:pac: Good luck with that. Our main tactic is to turn it into fairly dour stuff.
    What's the home supporters feelings regarding Friday's fixture?
    Anything we get off you will be a bonus, our big games are against teams like Bray, Sligo, Bohs, Pats, and we have done alright out of those so far.

We will press you high up the pitch, and have 2 defensive midfielders protecting our back 4. But I think you have the quality to get in between our midfield and defence, which is where we are most vulnerable. Hery is the kind of player that will do well against our set up I think.

You will also have the pleasure of a personal audience with our eccentric chairman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

osarusan wrote: »
    :pac: Good luck with that. Our main tactic is to turn it into fairly dour stuff.

Anything we get off you will be a bonus, our big games are against teams like Bray, Sligo, Bohs, Pats, and we have done alright out of those so far.

We will press you high up the pitch, and have 2 defensive midfielders protecting our back 4. But I think you have the quality to get in between our midfield and defence, which is where we are most vulnerable. Hery is the kind of player that will do well against our set up I think.

You will also have the pleasure of a personal audience with our eccentric chairman.

Reckon Izzy could be getting a good bit of stick, a lot more people know his history...Thanks to the rovers banner down in Waterford

What's this about the chairman ha?
    We play with a diamond in midfield so can see it getting congested, I wouldn't put Waterford out of that bracket either with regards to your big games. Yes we have had a fantastic start but it could go wrong at any moment, we have a small squad.

What's this about the chairman ha?
    He will visit the away fans and make a speech about how we all need to stick together, cringe-worthy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Reckon Izzy could be getting a good bit of stick, a lot more people know his history...Thanks to the rovers banner down in Waterford

In fairness I think his history is fairly well known around fans of the league for quiet a few years now.

On the match itself, it will all depend on who we have available. We are a different team at home but really need injuries to clear up. If we have the majority of players available there is no reason why we can’t get a point at minimum.

He will visit the away fans and make a speech about how we all need to stick together, cringe-worthy stuff.

You can't be serious.......can you ha.

You can't be serious.......can you ha.

No no, he's deadly serious. Chairman will make a speech down in front of the away stand and present the fans group with some plaque thingy. It's embarrassing to say the least, fair enough it's good to have a friendly chairman and Pat O'Sullivan is a great bloke but these presentations belong in his not so good ideas pile.

• Advertisement

No no, he's deadly serious. Chairman will make a speech down in front of the away stand and present the fans group with some plaque thingy. It's embarrassing to say the least, fair enough it's good to have a friendly chairman and Pat O'Sullivan is a great bloke but these presentations belong in his not so good ideas pile.

How does he get on with the rovers fans when they visit ha. His heart is in the right place I'm sure even if it is a bit odd!

Advertisement