Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2018 season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How does he get on with the rovers fans when they visit ha. His heart is in the right place I'm sure even if it is a bit odd!

I think everybody realises that his heart is in the right place, and the message is well-meaning, so the away fans just let him get on with it and dutifully applaud when it's over. Rovers did that last week, like the other teams before them.

Limerick 0-2 Waterford

Waterford bossed pretty much the entire game against a disjointed and dispirited Limerick.

Early on, it was even enough, with Waterford having much of the ball but not doing a lot with it. It was Limerick who fashioned the first real chance, after about 20 minutes, with Will Fitzgerald going in behind the defence for a one on one from a quick free kick , but he fired his shot straight at the keeper.

Waterford took the lead just a few minutes later. We needlessly gave the ball away in midfield, and they played in their striker, who beat Tony Whitehead and fired a shot across Clarke into the bottom right corner. Shortly after that, we created another decent chance, which was probably our last chance of the game. A ball into the box created confusion in the Waterford defence but Duggan's shot was brilliantly blocked when a goal seemed certain.

In the second half we huffed and puffed, but we just looked like the limited and inexperienced team we are. We struggled to keep the ball, use the ball constructively, and we created nothing at all. It was Waterford who came close to scoring on a few occasions, and finally did score when Tony Whitehead let a ball go over his head and then brought down the striker as he went in on goal. The penalty was converted, and Waterford could even have had one or two more in the dying minutes as they kept up the pressure.

We were second best all over the pitch, and really toothless up front. We end the first series of games down at the wrong end of the table, and it looks like we'll be there for the rest of the season. Only Sligo and Bray below us, and Sligo could go above us if they win their game in hand. We can only hope that Bray continue to be as bad as they have been.

Next game: home to Cobh Ramblers in the League Cup, Monday April 2nd, 5 pm.

Next weekend: away to Bohemians, Friday April 6th, 7.45pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Been at four home games this season (Bray, Cork, Rovers and Waterford) and I must say, the quality of the programmes has gone to the dogs.

In regard to the Waterford game, it was horrible. Completely devoid of anything decent, Willy Fitz missed a sitter but I tend to turn a blind eye to his misses as he's still a kid. That said, he's hit them at the keeper more often than not. Maguire is a fair bit off the pace, was at fault for our first goal although if I can recall correctly we should've had a free around that time. Conor Ellis hasn't shown me a whole pile personally and Mark O'Sullivan is being sorely missed. Killian Brouder has had good showings between the full 90 against Rovers and the second half against Waterford, hasn't had a whole pile of time on the ball either mind, but he made one flaking tackle on Friday.

Been meaning to contribute more, when it comes to after a game I don't know whether to post my thoughts here, the LOI Thread on Soccer, the LimerickChat forum or all three! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Wouldn't be too worried about Willie Fitz's two 1on1 misses. As you said he's still a kid, technically still a 19s player and he's not a striker. He's gonna be a serious player for Limerick over the next few years though, thank **** he's in UL so could be here for a minimum of four years at least. Impressed with Brouder in his game and a half so far, didn't rate him and was more to do with his attitude but listening to Brendan Clarke on the LFC podcast he name checks Brouder as a player to watch and also mentions having a hop off the youngsters who don't put it in so maybe he's had words with him already.

Watching Bastian Hery strut his stuff again in the Markets field was heart breaking, the man is worth the admission fee alone and easily the best player I've seen playing for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 midg23

In light of certain chants at the recent Limerick vs Waterford game, which I wholly condemn, I do not think it would be right of me to host a podcast that while not directly representative of a certain group of fans, it is still indirectly representative of them.

It would be massively hypocritical of me to condemn these chants and then not speak about them or call people out on them on a podcast with two people that have an affiliation with the group in question - albeit one of these people was not at the game and completely condemn the chants also.

While I understand that it may not have been all of the members of said group chanting, they are still representing the group in the public eye.

Unfortunately, every one of them will now be tarnished with the same brush and at this time the negative connotations of being associated with this group drastically outweigh the positives from my point of view.

From my point of view this was a step too far, one of which I will certainly take no part in, and thus I will no longer be hosting or taking part in the Limerick FC Podcast.

I have spoken to the group member that wasn't at the game and explained to him that I would no longer be hosting the podcast, and my reasoning why.

I wish them the best going forward for the Limerick FC Podcast as it is thoroughly enjoyable to listen to.

Rob Hogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

midg23 wrote: »
    In light of certain chants at the recent Limerick vs Waterford game, which I wholly condemn, I do not think it would be right of me to host a podcast that while not directly representative of a certain group of fans, it is still indirectly representative of them.

It would be massively hypocritical of me to condemn these chants and then not speak about them or call people out on them on a podcast with two people that have an affiliation with the group in question - albeit one of these people was not at the game and completely condemn the chants also.

While I understand that it may not have been all of the members of said group chanting, they are still representing the group in the public eye.

Unfortunately, every one of them will now be tarnished with the same brush and at this time the negative connotations of being associated with this group drastically outweigh the positives from my point of view.

From my point of view this was a step too far, one of which I will certainly take no part in, and thus I will no longer be hosting or taking part in the Limerick FC Podcast.

I have spoken to the group member that wasn't at the game and explained to him that I would no longer be hosting the podcast, and my reasoning why.

I wish them the best going forward for the Limerick FC Podcast as it is thoroughly enjoyable to listen to.

Rob Hogan

Where those chants directed at a certain convicted sex offenders?

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Where those chants directed at a certain convicted sex offenders?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cunneen92/status/979843156840677377

Andrew Cunneen
    @Cunneen92

Couple of things on tonight - fifteen quid to watch Bastien Hery is incredible value for money. Also, some of the chants from a section of the Limerick support about the Belfast rape trial complainant and Paddy Jackson were pathetic/vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

The chap involved in a gang rape a few years back had abuse directed at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

Sorry to hear that midg23. Always enjoyed the podcast.

The bluearmy more often then not create an excellent atmosphere, without them the Market's Feld would be a bore. For the match against Cork City they were outstanding but they have let the club down on a number of occasions with embarrassing chants in particular the incident that midg23 is referring to last Friday. The chant was very audible in the main stand so a lot of them were joining in.

Hope the senior lads in the group get a handle on things and pull the rest of them back in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

The chap involved in a gang rape a few years back had abuse directed at him.

He wasn't part of that part of the investigation.

• Advertisement

Bohemians 0-0 Limerick

Limerick picked up a point in a low-key affair in Dublin tonight.

We started slowly, and were lethargic in midfield, giving Bohs plenty of possession. They were content to work it wide and whip crosses into the box, and we were content to let them, and we defended crosses well all night.

We had the best chance of the first half, with Mark O'Sullivan somehow failing to convert a cutback from about 6 yards out. At the other end, Clarke had to tip over a dipping shot from outside the area.

Not much to report in the second half, as two limited teams sought in vain for what would have been a very valuable goal. Both sides worked themselves into good positions, but never created any real chances. Clarke had to save a couple of shots from distance, but I don't think we forced a save from their keeper.

A few players had off-nights, Coleman and Fitzgerald in particular, while the returning O'Sullivan put in a solid shift as usual.

Next game:home to Sligo Rovers, Saturday April 13, 6.30pm.

I completely forgot that we are home to Cobh Ramblers in a rearranged League Cup game tomorrow night, kickoff is 7.45.

19s aren't playing until Wednesday, stick them out against Cobh and play the 17s in that 19s game. Should be no senior players playing against Cobh except for lads short on match fitness like maybe Maguire and Morrissey, last thing you want is more injuries in a meaningless game.

Highlights of the Waterford game here:

('Ger' Duggan struck it well for such an auld fella).

League Cup: Limerick 0-1 Cobh Ramblers

Something of a second-string Limerick conceded a last-minute goal to get knocked out by first division Cobh.

I wasn't at the game, so can't provide much of a report. Just from updates, we had Tommy Holland to thank for a triple save early on, then Danny Morrissey missed a sitter on the half hour.

In the second half, it seemed like we had more of the ball, but Holland still had to make another excellent save. We had a goal ruled out for a foul in the build-up, and just as extra time looked a certainty, Cobh scored a header from a corner and that was that.

Never nice to lose, and our failure to get on the scoresheet against a lower division side is worrying. At least we rested players for what is an important game at home to Sligo this weekend.

Next game: home to Sligo Rovers, Saturday April 13, 6.30pm.

Embarrassing to say the least. Regardless of the 3 or 4 lads rested that team was a strong line up for what was a meaningless game against a team 8th in the first divison. Only pro was Tommy Holland was outstanding, he'll come in handy for next season's first divison.

Conor Clifford signs for Limerick after his suspension has expired. Could do with one or two more to bolster the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned but Paudie O'Connor made his first team debut for Leeds at the weekend. Was lucky enough to be at the game and he played very well.

He played well to be fair to him while it was four at the back but the move to three at the back exposed him big time up against the Sunderland winger Gooch. Hopefully he can pick up some more game time in the last couple of games.

Barry Cotter could make his Ipswich debut tonight. They've got some injuries themselves and Cotter is to be involved in tonights match squad. Has also been praised by Mick McCarthy lately on his progression with the u23s.

Hopefully clifford does the business. We are a patchwork of a side full of has beens and washed up protégés. Wouldn't be surprised to see Freddie adu sign next. Hopefully clifford doesn't flutter the wages away on the horses and the greyhounds. If he plays anyway half decent would could make our money back by the spade load by flogging him to the UK.

• Advertisement

Barry Cotter made his debut tonight for Ipswich, was really impressive by all accounts playing on the right of a midfield 4 in a 343.

Paudie started his second game for Leeds tonight, played well but Leeds being Leeds turned to **** in the second half after leading 1-0 at half time.

And Ogbene made his debut as a second half substitute for Brentford.

Highlights of the 0-0 draw with Bohs here:

Limerick 1-2 Sligo

(Kearns)

Sligo move above Limerick after winning a poor match in the Market's Field, and we are pushed down to the relegation playoff spot.

The first half was fairly even, Limerick pressed high and had decent spells of possession, but didn't do much with it. A Mark O'Sullivan header just wide from a corner was probably our best chance, with Sligo also going close with a header. Duggan also flashed a shot just wide with the keeper beaten.

In the second half it was much the same for the first 15 minutes, but then the game changed completely. We gave away a freekick just inside their half, and while we slowly got into position, one of their midfielders took it quickly, using the strong wind to fire it all the way over Brendan Clarke, who was about 18 yards out, and just under the crossbar.

We tried to get back into the game, but because we took off a defensive midfielder, Coleman, for attackers, we ended up losing a lot of territory in midfield. Still, we created some chances, the best of which was a super reflex save from their keeper which lead to a serious scramble in their area, but it came to nothing. Instead they scored again, breaking down the left, and when the cross went over everybody, an in-coming midfielder controlled and fired it back across Clarke. Sean Kelly tried to block on the line, but it still trickled agonisingly over the line.

Late on we pulled one back. Their keeper flapped at a corner, and even though a goalbound header was accidentally blocked by substitute Kearns, he was able to turn and fire home from a few yards. We launched a few long balls into the box, but nothing came of them.

Sligo are one of the teams we need to be getting something from, so it's a very disappointing night.

Next game: home to Dundalk, Tuesday April 18, 7.45pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Was at it today. Ball clearly still rolling when they took the free kick. How most of us could see it from the terrace but all the officials missed it is beyond me!!
    Only after that did we really wake up.
    Second goal came from a quick throw-in where the Limerick players were arguing the call instead of marking up. That's basic stuff that needs to be sorted. Really stupid stuff.

Really worry for the rest of the season. Clifford a good addition and worked hard today but very poor in some areas.
    Clifford, Duggan, Coleman and McGuire give us decent centre midfield options but we really lack up front and on the wings, all be it Willie Fitzgerald has been excellent from what I've seen.

No ball players in the back. We leave our forwards isolated too much and have no width.

Unlucky today, and I think we have not got a single bit of luck at home this year with some ref's giving us absolutely nothing. Last min equaliser for Bohs, soft penalty to Cork, stupid penalty to Rovers, ref screwing us today. We're very limited so need all the breaks we can get and so far getting very little at home.

One think that worried me, I missed the Waterford and Cobh games so when I came back in today it was noticeable that the crowd was smaller. No drums or singing until we scored in the 89th minute. No half time presentation to the Sligo travelling fans (something they said they'd do to each club), no attendance announced, not even an Irish flag flying from the flag poles!
    I worry for the rest of the year, can't see how we will finish in the top 8.

Does the club need to engage more with the city and its surroundings. Theyve an OK website and twitter account. Can they do more with 95 and spin, get on to the large companies like Stryker, Vistacon, Wyeths offer corporate nights and group rates. get more charities involved like Corks bring a can day. Anything to get a few more people in.

One think that worried me, I missed the Waterford and Cobh games so when I came back in today it was noticeable that the crowd was smaller. No drums or singing until we scored in the 89th minute. No half time presentation to the Sligo travelling fans (something they said they'd do to each club), no attendance announced, not even an Irish flag flying from the flag poles!
    I worry for the rest of the year, can't see how we will finish in the top 8.

Does the club need to engage more with the city and its surroundings. Theyve an OK website and twitter account. Can they do more with 95 and spin, get on to the large companies like Stryker, Vistacon, Wyeths offer corporate nights and group rates. get more charities involved like Corks bring a can day. Anything to get a few more people in.

There was junior soccer fixtures this evening, there's more for Tuesday night so except an even smaller crowd possibly as it's a "category A" game.

5 goals in 11 games, that's the problem.

Morrissey has one goal, Ellis and O'Sullivan have none.

We've created decent chances in games, but don't have the players to take them. O'Sullivan puts in a great shift and all that, but has missed great chances home and away to Bohs, and missed a good chance from a corner last night.

Ellis makes lots of good runs but the ball hardly ever gets played to him at the right time. Morrissey seems fairly harmless in general, though he works hard.

When we find it so hard to score, we're always going to struggle to pick up points.

The poor football has definitely hit attendances, the increase in match night prices for some games has turned off those who pay on the gate and some people are just tired of the club.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1900139646671439&id=239295259422561

Video of the sligo first goal.

Limerick are in big trouble. Is barret the right man going forward? Martin Russel is free, I'd argue he should be brought back

Neither is Russell, he's a coach and a good coach at that but he's not a manager. Apart from Limerick all his experience as a manager came at UCD where results aren't that important and player recruitment different to everyone else in the league.

I wanna see Tommy succeed but when you stick a very inexperienced manager into a job with a very inexperienced coaching stuff what else do you expect.

• Advertisement

Russell's problem was that he is utterly committed to passing the ball out from the back. He has always done it, he will always do it. He did it at Limerick even when our players were not good enough to do it and coughed up possession way too easily - and it would be exactly the same now.

Advertisement