Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

council house

Options
  • 05-01-2018 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have a question about council houses,i lived in one before with my girlfriend,we have kids, i had to move out a few years ago to look after an aunt of mine,i recently moved back into the house and have to go back on the rent book,we are also seeking to apply for a transfer as we are in a 2 bed apt with 3 kids,will me moving back in cause any problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

DA5 wrote: »
    I have a question about council houses,i lived in one before with my girlfriend,we have kids, i had to move out a few years ago to look after an aunt of mine,i recently moved back into the house and have to go back on the rent book,we are also seeking to apply for a transfer as we are in a 2 bed apt with 3 kids,will me moving back in cause any problems?

Are the kids the same sex? Are they over 10? If so , then possibly. But ask ... if they are your kids the council are likely to be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The only is issue is income really, are you over the threshold?

Provided no anti social issues and the property being suitable for your needs, no problem and not in conflict with the need for separate bedrooms for boys and girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DA5

The kids are under 10,1 boy,1 girl,they are mine,i am on the dole myself and there has never been an issue at the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The kids are under 10,1 boy,1 girl,they are mine,i am on the dole myself and there has never been an issue at the property.

Your OP said 3 kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

At that age they might have to share, but in 2 or 3 years they will need separate rooms so that will push you up the pecking order for a transfer as you have outgrown your current accommodation. Unfortunately the barrier you run into then is lack of supply in Council stock.

Can't see why the council would not permit you to go back on the rent book.

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    Your OP said 3 kids?

i am new to the site,sorry,there is a baby on the way in the summer as well

myshirt wrote: »
    At that age they might have to share, but in 2 or 3 years they will need separate rooms so that will push you up the pecking order for a transfer as you have outgrown your current accommodation. Unfortunately the barrier you run into then is lack of supply in Council stock.

Can't see why the council would not permit you to go back on the rent book.

That is very helpful,thankyou,myshirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

2 kids, four crammed into a 2 bed apartment, on the dole.

I couldn't think of a better time to have another kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

This is what's wrong with the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP just out of interest have you worked at any time ? Is the first port of call the council house ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Spent last five years saving to buy. Hoping to be in by Paddy's day. I'm hurtling towards 40.... kids on hold until I can afford . I'm sorry but This annoys me so much.

Why do I work?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Averagevegan

ArtyC wrote: »
    Spent last five years saving to buy. Hoping to be in by Paddy's day. I'm hurtling towards 40.... kids on hold until I can afford . I'm sorry but This annoys me so much.

Why do I work?

To pay for someone else's house obviously!

Moving out and leaving your gf and children sounds awful like someone is playing the system.

but to be honest nobody gives an f**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This is not a forum to bash those on social welfare. Some of you already have cards in this forum for exactly that. Next person is getting an infraction or ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Wait, I thought the whole reason Boards existed was to bash those on social welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Here's a thought. Why don't you try getting a job and SAVING for your own house, as in actually paying money for something, like the rest of us do. Rather than expecting a house for nothing.
    And stop making babies while doing it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

christy02 wrote: »
    Here's a thought. Why don't you try getting a job and SAVING for your own house, as in actually paying money for something, like the rest of us do. Rather than expecting a house for nothing.
    And stop making babies while doing it maybe?

You have no idea whether the OP is working or not. We have 6% unemployment - most of the people in council houses are now working.

Many of the people who get council houses are working, but low paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

You have no idea whether the OP is working or not.

The OP says he's on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The only contribution I have to make would earn me a yellow. At the very least. So I won't post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

endacl wrote: »
    The only contribution I have to make would earn me a yellow. At the very least. So I won't post it.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

You have no idea whether the OP is working or not. We have 6% unemployment - most of the people in council houses are now working.

Read the thread before you make comments like that. It clearly says he is on the dole.

Anyway I have received a yellow so am saying no more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wait, I thought the whole reason Boards existed was to bash those on social welfare?

And people of colour and travellers. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

To answer the original question.

You moved back into apartment, have you informed the local council of this as the rent will be adjusted.

When you say transfer are you looking for an Inter transfer? If so then I don’t see a problem as long as you get someone else to transfer with you who has a bigger property and wants to downsize and in social housing. As long as you are not in arrears and you haven’t altered the original layout of the apartment when you received it.

This is all down to which council/housing group you are with as they may have different procedures dealing with inter transfers.

Edit: Sorry just re-read, you are now in your Aunts house, Afaik you cant be registered on both properties. You can ask the council can you and your Girlfriend and kids move in (giving up the apartment) but I think the council will say its over crowding etc. Also I think you have to be on rent book for over two years if you think you will take over the tenancy if god forbid your Aunt passes away, but seeing as you are only a Nephew you might not be allowed to do this.

Contact your Council and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

most of the people in council houses are now working.

I'd actually like to see a source for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I,d Say about 90 per cent of council house,s have been sold to a former tenant.
    So in my experience in most council houses theres at least one person working.
    And that person now owns the property .
    I think most of the council propertys that can be rented or given to someone on the housing list are flats or apartments.
    it ,s not practical for the council to sell apartments or flats.
    Its a myth that theres 1000,s of people on the dole living in council
    house,s.
    In the 90,s and after 2000, it was council policy to sell any house to a tenant
    who wanted to buy it, if the lived there for more than a few years.
    And they could afford it.
    It sounds like you intend to get a transfer into a 3bed unit,
    a 2bed apartment is not ideal for someone that will have 3 kids.
    i,m not an expert, you may need to live there a certain time before
    getting a transfer .
    we are in a housing crisis, one of the problems is the limited no
    of council houses that are avaidable to rent.
    Obviously you can only be registered at one council property at any one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OP closed account, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement