Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Everton

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

irishman86 wrote: »
    I have never heard it used as derogatory
    As i have many friends in france of this origin they readily use it to describe there ancestral background
    Would you prefer i used mixed-race

It's a pretty old term, in English any way, perhaps the French translate it differently but I think mixed race is definitely preferable these days in English.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I have never heard it used as derogatory
    As i have many friends in france of this origin they readily use it to describe there ancestral background
    Would you prefer i used mixed-race

But your ignorance doesn't mean it's not.

It is news to me that French people use that English phrase, but either way here and in the UK "half caste" is very much derogatory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

It's a pretty old term, in English any way, perhaps the French translate it differently but I think mixed race is definitely preferable these days in English.

Ive only ever heard it used in terms of someone who has different races in there origin
    From wiki it seems in NZ they dont like it in terms of Maori's and Australia with there native peoples.
    Its the first time ive ever heard any thought on it, ive never even thought of that as a insult

Ive only ever heard it used in terms of someone who has different races in there origin
    From wiki it seems in NZ they dont like it in terms of Maori's and Australia with there native peoples.
    Its the first time ive ever heard any thought on it, ive never even thought of that as a insult

Read further down the wiki entry. What does it say about its use today in the UK?

Don't try to narrow it down to Maoris.

But your ignorance doesn't mean it's not.

It is news to me that French people use that English phrase, but either way here and in the UK "half caste" is very much derogatory.

Buddy ive lived in ireland long enough to know that its used here and not as a insult
    Like i said ill use mixed race if it offends you

• Advertisement

Read further down the wiki entry. What does it say about its use today in the UK?

I did read down it says some people and last time i checked we are in Ireland not the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Or swim.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    he ran up to him and shouted at him
    in refereeing the player who reacts always gets punished too

in fairness if someone threw me like that I too (and most) would also react , and he didnt re-act violentlty - If his abuse was racist then its a different story. but we dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It's like half-breed which is considered derogatory (typically half Native-American and half white).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bi-racial is the only term you can use now!

• Advertisement

Buddy ive lived in ireland long enough to know that its used here and not as a insult

It is very much an insult here.

Just stop digging, referring to the French or your friends here. Perhaps they all share your ignorance.

It's like half-breed which is considered derogatory (typically half Native-American and half white).

Go to half caste in other languages on wiki, its used in ever day speech in most countries

It is very much an insult here.

Just stop digging, referring to the French or your friends here. Perhaps they all share your ignorance.

So you say, not everything is a insult buddy

I did read down it says some people and last time i checked we are in Ireland not the UK

No it doesn't.

It says "use of the term half caste is considered offensive today". That's about the UK. Not Maoris. Not some people.

We have established that you and your circle of friends use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We're not far from seeing " :rolleyes: " being unleashed at this point of the discussion. I can sense it.

Go to half caste in other languages on wiki, its used in ever day speech in most countries
    Look, you can keep checking at Wilki all day; but it's now very much considered not appropriate. I'm not making any rules here, but it's probably best to not use it.

No it doesn't.

It says "use of the term half caste is considered offensive today". That's about the UK. Not Maoris. Not some people.

We have established that you and your circle of friends use it.

So just me and my friends use it, ok then :rolleyes:
    Everyone else i guess is insulting people. Christ

pjohnson wrote: »
    We're not far from seeing " :rolleyes: " being unleashed at this point of the discussion. I can sense it.

Your welcome :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Half caste....original meaning being half pure... hence it's deemed offensive.

Look, you can keep checking at Wilki all day; but it's now very much considered not appropriate. I'm not making any rules here, but it's probably best to not use it.

I havent since, like im merely saying its not a world wide insult
    Ive never heard it as a insult in Ireland
    Everything can be a insult if you wish to hear a insult

• Advertisement

BINGO!!!!

Emoji and "Everyone else" and both in the same post. Thread is completed.

Just. Stop. Digging.

And lying about what wiki says.

And using that phrase.

If you've learned anything today, you can now correct your friends. You should be thanking me for pointing out your ignorance.

secman wrote: »
    Half caste....original meaning being half pure... hence it's deemed offensive.

No it doesnt, it means coming from two different races or descent

• astradave wrote: »
    How am I clutching at straws? I’m just showing that Holgate made the accusation to the ref and that’s where the investigation is coming from.

I have said if he is lying about it he should have the book thrown at him, but yeah, you conviently left that out when quoting my post

Funny as this is my current stance on this also ;)

pjohnson wrote: »
    BINGO!!!!

Emoji and "Everyone else" and both in the same post. Thread is completed.

In fairness to him, the digging is entertaining!

Just. Stop. Digging.

And lying about what wiki says.

And using that phrase.

If you've learned anything today, you can now correct your friends. You should be thanking me for pointing out your ignorance.

Lol ok buddy thanks
    I'm directly using wiki, it never once mentions Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,988 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Funny as this is my current stance on this also ;)

Your current stance also includes a side of heavy insinuation though.

• Your current stance also includes a side of heavy insinuation though.

So what? Same on Reddit, twitter, facebook ect.
    Boards isn't the only place for a discussion.
    And the same could be said for lads defending Firmino to the hilt without the facts either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

No it doesnt, it means coming from two different races or descent

So Cambridge dictionary got it wrong and you are right !

• Advertisement

In fairness to him, the digging is entertaining!

He needs to expand the routine a bit.

Maybe a new emoji.

What i said is exactly what the dictionary says, it has nothing to do with purity
    Its race or descent

Wait for it...

"Buddy, Cambridge is in the UK and their dictionary doesn't cover Ireland"...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

(Some) Everton and United fans salivating at the prospect of a possible racial slur being used.

(Some) Liverpool fans crying moral outrage over the use of a derogatory term from Holgate's Twitter account when he was 15.

Pathetic stuff.

Pretty sure none of these fans actually give a **** about gay rights or racism and just using it to try to tarnish their rivals.

They would be the same fans salivating over rumours of a rival team's player being homosexual in the 80s, just a way of one-upping and disgracing rival fans through faux moral outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

nice_guy80 wrote:
    the referee also made a howler for the penalty (every BBC pundit agreed it wasn't a peno)

If the BBC is the hat then we are all f@@ked. Hands on a player in the box is never a smart thing to do. It was a peno all day long. Probably the easiest decision of the game. The pundits on BBC are incompetent

nice_guy80 wrote:
    he ran up to him and shouted at him in refereeing the player who reacts always gets punished too

A player gets booked for shouting at another player????

Oh I get it. You've never watched soccer before

• Advertisement

Wait for it...

"Buddy, Cambridge is in the UK and their dictionary doesn't cover Ireland"...

Well it is in the UK
    Anyways im sorry for offending any of ye, it wasnt meant as a insult you may take that what ever way ye want

Mr.H wrote: »
    If the BBC is the hat then we are all f@@ked. Hands on a player in the box is never a smart thing to do. It was a peno all day long. Probably the easiest decision of the game. The pundits on BBC are incompetent

They were pretty clueless alright.

They don't get many days in the limelight so probably trying to be edgy in their punditry.

irishman86 wrote:
    Buddy ive lived in ireland long enough to know that its used here and not as a insult Like i said ill use mixed race if it offends you

Actually it is an insult.

Actually it is an insult.

Ok then, i personally never heard it used that way. If you say it is i believe you

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    They were pretty clueless alright.
    They were convinced that the Lovern push was a pen. More or less same situation last night, but not a pen.
    Shearer banging on that it's a physical game, you can use your hands, etc.... but contradicting himself for the two pens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,988 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ok then, i personally never heard it used that way. If you say it is i believe you

It doesn't matter whether or not the intent is to insult, it's still insulting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Despite the bollocks of people trying their best to not let you enjoy the result, here's just a quick reminder of that feeling when VVD scored the late winner in an F.A.cup derby.

JMP_LEC_050118FACUPDERBY_43JPG.jpg

I feel ive said this enough already, if you say so.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Despite the bollocks of people trying their best to not let you enjoy the result, here's just a quick reminder of that feeling when VVD scored the late winner in an F.A.cup derby.

JMP_LEC_050118FACUPDERBY_43JPG.jpg

901623296.jpg?w=748&h=482&crop=1

irishman86 wrote:

Hope it's not seen as backseat modding but. It doesn't really matter. It is a racial slur to call someone half cast. But if anyone here is insulted they should just report the posts. Or else can we just get back to the actual debate rather than stay off topic.

They were convinced that the Lovern push was a pen. More or less same situation last night, but not a pen. Shearer banging on that it's a physical game, you can use your hands, etc.... but contradicting himself for the two pens.

That's the annoying part. Like pick a side FFS either you agree with soft pens or you don't. Don't just change depending on who is playing. Your a pundit FFS your not supposed to bias

That's the annoying part. Like pick a side FFS either you agree with soft pens or you don't. Don't just change depending on who is playing. Your a pundit FFS your not supposed to bias
    Exactly. Shearer moaning about ref inconsistencies, and then is two faced on the two pens.

But they were also saying Sam is doing a very good job; after not winning in 5 games and losing 3 on the bounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's nothing this music doesn't make better.

https://streamable.com/t9l9h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No can’t use that either according to wiki

For some, the term half-caste is more offensive than mixed-race, even if the latter is suggestive of tainting and dilution of ethnicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Is Danny Murphy not on that dubious decisions panel that bans divers? He said it wasn't a penalty so I'll bow to his quite obvious superior opinion.

I thought it was soft on second viewing but a penalty due to the way Llanana collapsed in a heap. The way he just dropped hoodwinked me. His feet just stop working mid-air despite no contact in that area.

As for all the false outrage at poor Irishman and his seemingly innocent remark, some folk need to catch themselves on a bit. He seemed genuine to me and apologised. The world is way too fecking 'pc'.

Paddy 1, Paddy 2 and Paddy 3 walk into a bar....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement