Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice cream van start up

Options
  • 05-01-2018 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi im from mayo and i am considering of buying a ice cream truck and start doin sum rounds around a few estates. Just wondering what do i need to do to start up
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Very territorial industry. Is there anyone operating in your proposed area already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tourmakeady

Hi no i have no competition in my area at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Hi im from mayo and i am considering of buying a ice cream truck and start doin sum rounds around a few estates. Just wondering what do i need to do to start up
    Thanks

Get a bodyguard !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

DubTony wrote: »
    Get a bodyguard !

In fear of drive by creamings?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    In fear of drive by creamings?

You may joke but there a great doc from the US (I think) where they show how the ice cream van business is as ruthless as the drug trade, as they are both highly connected.

Not implying that of drivers here mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

ironclaw wrote: »

Not implying that of drivers here mind you.

To give an idea of the type of “character” in the business.

My 4 year old came running into the house as the ice cream van drove into our cul de sac, and begged, as 4 year olds do, for an ice cream

I handed him €4 as I hadn’t a clue how much ice cream was. He came back with a small cone. “Did you get change”. “No”

I went out and asked the guy for the change. (There was no price list). “The red headed kid? He got a 99 with sprinkles - that’s €4” The kid looked at me with a “what’s a 99” expression on his face.

When I challenged this, a voice from the front of the van said “Give the little ginger c**t his money back and tell that f***er we won’t be servin’ his kid again”

Nice. First instance of “ginger-ism”, first hearing of the C word, first time being called names / insulted by an adult. All from Mr Whippy.

Anyway, many of these guys are like the chilled dessert version of hot dog vendors. OP, if you do get in the business, don’t step on anyone’s toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

I'm not so sure that Dublin and Tourmakeady are comparable in this instance...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm not so sure that Dublin and Tourmakeady are comparable in this instance...

Any cash business, regardless of location, can be compared on the basis we're discussing. In fact, Tourmakeady would be better than Dublin as you could be far more creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Any cash business, regardless of location, can be compared on the basis we're discussing. In fact, Tourmakeady would be better than Dublin as you could be far more creative.

As in chocolate sauce AND sprinkles? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Sorry, I was referring to the comment re the behaviour of the ice cream man in Dublin.

I agree that there is great scope in Tourmakeady

• Advertisement
Advertisement