Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a wired Nest Protect

• 05-01-2018 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hey folks,
    Wonder if anyone could offer some guidance on replacing an old smoke alarm with a Nest Protect.
    So I made a go of this today: switched off the mains, disconnected the old alarm, but am having serious trouble getting the wires out of the old wiring harness. Am trying to avoid cutting the wires as there isn't much to play with; is there a knack to these? Brute force isn't working anyway. I've attached a few photos to show what I'm talking about (prob shouldn't have unscrewed the plate prematurely :o)

Also a quick question on the white wire colour - the other two are live and neutral, am i right in assuming that is the no-longer-needed interconnect wire?

Any help much appreciated, I'm sure I can do this myself, if I can just get the damn wires out of the harness!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

elWizard wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Wonder if anyone could offer some guidance on replacing an old smoke alarm with a Nest Protect.
    So I made a go of this today: switched off the mains, disconnected the old alarm, but am having serious trouble getting the wires out of the old wiring harness. Am trying to avoid cutting the wires as there isn't much to play with; is there a knack to these? Brute force isn't working anyway. I've attached a few photos to show what I'm talking about (prob shouldn't have unscrewed the plate prematurely :o)

Also a quick question on the white wire colour - the other two are live and neutral, am i right in assuming that is the no-longer-needed interconnect wire?

Any help much appreciated, I'm sure I can do this myself, if I can just get the damn wires out of the harness!

the white I would assume is the interconnect and as nest interconnects via its own frequency it can be taped up with insulation tape or into a blank holder that comes with nest.
    I would cut other wires at point of insertion of old connector and pair them back so didn't loose much wire.

Could also pick up on old screw holes when mounting so to avoid drilling but be careful as nest may not lock into position or will be skewed.
    I think its easier to align the nest mechanically first then take it down and wire it in and put it back up.

Note as it's a smoke alarms it should be installed by qualified Electrician and these are my own assumptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Also without cutting could try a long nose pliers to pull out wire or cutting threw old plastic connector with brute Force to break it and free wires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

john_doe. wrote: »
    Also without cutting could try a long nose pliers to pull out wire or cutting threw old plastic connector with brute Force to break it and free wires.
    Thanks for your input on this. I think you're right, will try and brute force through the old plastic, if that doesn't work I'll just have to cut the wire back. Cheers.

Advertisement