Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite needs RF out to work???

Options
  • 05-01-2018 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,

I have a Triax TSC114 combo box. I've discovered something very strange with satellite dish wiring.

I have 2 cables from an old sky dish connected to it (used to have sky+ years ago.) For the triax box to get a signal from the dish I have to put one of the wires into the satellite input (as you'd expect), but the other one has to go into the RF out! I can swap the wires around and it'll work, as long as I've 1 in each.

Any idea what's going on? is it using the RF out as a power source??

I ask all this as I've just bought a new combo box and it'll not pickup the satellite channels, so I'm trying to work out if it's my dish / wiring, or the new box.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 philteare

Ok after a bit more experimenting I've found it out - the central wire of the 2nd satellite cable needs to be earthed to make it work. (Coincidentally when I was putting it into the RF out that was earthing it. )

Is that correct? Or do I have some dodgy wiring?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Dodgy wiring I'm afraid. The center core should NOT be earthed. The outer mesh screen of both cables should be connected to the outer screw on part of the 'LNB IN' sockets. The inner core carries a control voltage to each port on the dish LNB. Have a look at the freetv.ie website for videos on how to use 'F type' connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 philteare

Thanks Gerry, that's appreciated, I'll get someone over who knows more than me to get it fixed. Thanks again.

Advertisement