Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some range time in Vegas

Options
  • 05-01-2018 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭

I'm likely heading over to Shot Show in Vegas in a few weeks, I made the mistake back in 2008 of heading to a touristy gun range that was the LV Gun Store, where the range marshals are so close behind you can feel their breath on your neck. Pressing the trigger was the only activity allowed.

Any recommendations for an out of the way gun range where I can spend a few hours at my own pace, take out some rental handguns, reload myself, no supervision? They exist, its just a case of finding them.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Unfortunately they're all the tourist traps, just wondering if anyone has first hand recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Unfortunately they're all the tourist traps, just wondering if anyone has first hand recommendations.

I went to American Shooters two years ago, very relaxed, left to my own devices at the lane, they had a decent selection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

http://www.lasvegas.net/Center-Mass-Firearms.htm

Try Center Mass
    This place is in Henderson (suburb a bit out from Vegas but not too far). I've been there a couple of times. You fill in the form and they let you loose on the indoor range - no s**te and nobody standing two feet behind you. Prices are reasonable. Its a range in a shop and they seem to cater more to locals needing a place to practice and just a few tourists so not quite the rip-off that you get near the strip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Re instructors standing 2 foot behind you..
    Walk a mile in their wellies..
    Remember what they are dealing with.Complete strangers come into the place, as well as 100% morons who shouldn't even have a pack of crayons not to mind a firearm in their hands, or someone deciding to go blow their brains out as well.[Has happened!] So as Range Saftey Officer you are responsible for these peoples actions next with a loaded firearm..... Being on "Brain removal detail" after the coroner and cops have finished and the brass is swept up shouldnt be part of your job as range owner

When I was over there, I asked where was a good range to go shooting, The gun store answer was "count how many bullet holes there are in everything BUT the target area.That will give you an idea of the supervision level."

Some ranges over there, I'd be wearing full kevlar armour if I went to them with some muppets were there with the amount of accidental discharges.
    Bullet holes in the walls, ceilings, 90 degrees left or right of the firing position in the booth dividers. in some cases 180 degrees in the "safe area" directly behind the firing line.:eek: Others, the majority are down in the target areas, but they were the ones with an RSO standing behind you until he got to know your mental IQ and capability with a firearm...

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Yep I can appreciate all that and ideally everywhere should be like the above in a tourist area. The reality is i'm not a touristy shooter and would just rather a simple range where I can relax with no time pressure. Thanks for the above suggestions guys, will check them out for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Yep I can appreciate all that and ideally everywhere should be like the above in a tourist area. The reality is i'm not a touristy shooter and would just rather a simple range where I can relax with no time pressure. Thanks for the above suggestions guys, will check them out for sure.

be sure to post pics when you get back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I went to a range there back in 2002, can't remember the name. A shop with firing lanes in the back. Had never even handled let alone fired a gun before. Got a beretta 92 and 50 rounds. A friend got some type of revolver. Off we went with absolutely no supervision.

After figuring out how to load the gun I shot away ok. My friend had an AD when he put the revolver down on the table in front of him. Luckily the gun was pointed downrange.

I then figured I'd give an MP5 a go. There was an instructor there for that. He loaded the gun and handed it over for shooting. He hung the target (person shaped) upside down. When I asked him why he told me that everyone aims for the head and when you don't know what you're doing half the mag ends up in the ceiling. True enough half the mag shredded the upside down targets feet....

They took our passports before we shot but in hindsight it does seem really unsafe. Can't remember how much it cost but don't remember it being too expensive.

Savage93 wrote: »
    be sure to post pics when you get back

I can do one better. I love this town. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

civdef wrote: »
    I went to American Shooters two years ago, very relaxed, left to my own devices at the lane, they had a decent selection too.

Went there as well, hired a 1911 and an M4 clone. Very relaxed , but busy.

Well worth it.

Very impressed with their setup I have to say. The range is well stocked, clean, well lit and well run. Pistols are my thing so spent 2 hours swapping between different models, the new US issue Sig P230, M&P 9, Springfield M1911A1 and a HK45. Spent about $250 in that time, which included 150 9mm and 150 .45 and 10 targets. Not cheap but you'd pay the same if not more more in a dedicated touristy spot or a place with packages.

Will likely go back in a few days and try their Vector and ARs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

I'd go to any gun club that does not advertise for tourism but is just... a gun range. You won't get ripped off and you'll have a great experience there.

I've just been to the states the last two weeks, Florida and Georgia. Naturally I looked up if I can go shooting anywhere. There are places around Florida that offer "machine gun experiences". Pick a few guns and shoot 300 bullets for 800$, all in a touristy setting and shooting paper zombies and stuff like that. No thank you.

So I went to a normal gun club in a tiny town in Georgia. Walked in, talked to yer man, told him that I know which end of the gun is the dangerous one, got the controls explained and off I went. Cost: Range fee (a 10er I think), gun rental (10$ if I stuck to semi-autos, 15$ for all guns) and then just the ammo. I went through 150 bullets 9mm with an AR15 full auto, 25 cartridges buckshot with a pump gun (ouch), 50 bullets 30 carbine (interesting but not my cup of tea), and another 150 bullets 5.56mm with another full auto AR15. Great fun. 212$. Authentic experience, just an hour or two at a range, not big shiny over the top show.

Finding a regular gun range that is not 100% aimed at tourists in a place like Vegas is probably a bit of a challenge :-( But then again, the locals have to have a place for shooting too...

Advertisement