Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Toshiba laptop very slow

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You say you bought it new - are you sure it was new?
    Wouldn't even consider a laptop that had a processor older than i5 - the one you have is 2 years old
    As someone else said remove AVG - pointless, MS's own AV is more than adequate
    Malware and other crap installed all have an effect on the speed - is this a stock Toshiba OS install? Or have you got lots of stuff, you never look at, running - what does Task Manager tell you is running/what is listed under the Start-Up tab? Have a good luck thru the Add/Remove programs part of Settings

Think you got bummed on that price for an old laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

fritzelly wrote: »
    ...Wouldn't even consider a laptop that had a processor older than i5 - the one you have is 2 years old...

Thats a meaningless statement. The first i5s are from 2009. There probably 100 different models of i5.

The N3700 is ok CPU. Its just a very low energy one designed for low powered devices like netbooks. They also stick it in budget laptops. Its basically the latest version of the atom family that they renamed Pentium and Celeron for marketing reasons.

http://laptopmedia.com/review/intel-pentium-n3700-review-the-budget-braswell-family-is-here/

No matter what machine. You need a SSD to get the best out of Windows 10 and any browser. Since the browser caches to the hard drive regardless of how much RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thanks everyone for all the advice (about 10% of which I actually understand!)

A VERY kind boardsie came along last night and helped me clean up a surprising amount of crap from the machine, reinstalled a lot of stuff and generally cleaned up the set-up. Seems to be running smoother and quicker already from just that.

I'm going to see how all that has improved performance before I do anything else.

Like I say, I'm not looking for a gaming-quality super-computer, just something that does what I need it to do (not a lot, really).

Thanks again to everyone for the time and advice :)

(And I'll definitely be coming here before purchasing next time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Great to hear a clean out helped - this is why some us recommended a clean install of Windows, even if you kept the mechanical drive

Anyway, the SSD will be your real solution. It'll take a little bit if work/time installing Windows (you'll see how easy it is at the end, just time consuming) but its safe to say you won't be short of a bit if help in here.

Advertisement