Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help me understand sth about minimum wage?

Options
  • 06-01-2018 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I recently started working for the first time in Ireland and I was told it was a minimum wage job so I assumed it was 9.25 or 9.55 as of January 1st. Now I learned they are going to pay me 7.64 ph because it's my first job in the country but I've been working since I was 24 just not in Ireland. Shouldn't it count?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The rules apply to jobs in this State, not jobs in other countries. If you are over 18 and this is your first job in Ireland, then the wage you are being paid is legally allowed.

See "Sub minimum rate" section here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

davo10 wrote: »
    The rules apply to jobs in this State, not jobs in other countries. If you are over 18 and this is your first job in Ireland, then the wage you are being paid is legally allowed.

See "Sub minimum rate" section here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

Where does it say anything about working in ireland? All I can see referred to is experienced adult.

OP -i’d suggest give citizens info a quick call. They’ll set you straight.

However....your employer may let you go if you push for more money...as thats all they probably want to pay you.

Id be looking for another job if i were you

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ipreciosa

That's what I thought when I read the Minimum Wage Act, it doesn't say first job in Ireland. I already talked to my boss and he said the order came from above and there is nothing he can do...I will call citizen's info for clarification and start looking for another job. Thanks for the suggestions.

daheff wrote: »
    Where does it say anything about working in ireland?

The National Minimum Wage Act is an Irish Statute relating to working in Ireland, its fair to assume the terms relate to work experience in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Guarantee you that this is exactly why you got the job - they saw you hadn't worked in Ireland before, and thought, 'we can pay him 7.64', but the way they tricked you into thinking it was 9.55 by calling it minimum wage is really dirty, they waited until you accepted the job to tell you that. I'd call their bluff, tell them you can get the proper minimum wage somewhere else,and if they don't want to give you the proper wage, walk away, because if they pull this kind of stuff before you've even started, you can bet they're going to be a nightmare to work for anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would normally be sympathetic to an employers position but to offer a 24 year old €7.64 per hour really is miserable! Who could live on circa €300 pw?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ipreciosa

I talked to Workplace Comissions and they agreed I should be paid 9.55 as an experienced adult. It doesn't matter the country I worked in before. If they don't agree I can make a legal complaint.
    Let’s see how the management takes it 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

davo10 wrote: »
    The National Minimum Wage Act is an Irish Statute relating to working in Ireland, its fair to assume the terms relate to work experience in Ireland.

I don't think it is fair to assume that. Otherwise it would mean that anybody relocating from another country would be only entitled to minimum wage at the inexperienced level....even if they had 30 years work experience.

daheff wrote: »
    I don't think it is fair to assume that. Otherwise it would mean that anybody relocating from another country would be only entitled to minimum wage at the inexperienced level....even if they had 30 years work experience.

True, but it can be more difficult to confirm experience gained abroad, particularly for minimum wage jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

A probation period should be used in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    A probation period should be used in this case.

If the OP were to lodge a legal complaint and press this with management, then they're almost certain to bounce him out under probation.

OP, keep working, but time to look for something else. Nothing good will come of complaining or staying.

Advertisement