Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Banking - Card reader requirement

• 06-01-2018 10:49am

I've returned to Ireland after being abroad for many years. I've got an Ulster Bank account and found that I need a card reader to use my anytime/online banking. Never seen such before, and it seems a way to make convenient banking inconvenient.

Now I understand that I can order a card reader (which I just have). However, for ease of use, are there any Irish banks that don't have this "feature"? Any accounts where I can go through the two layers of security online, and simply make an online payment/transfer without any additional security hoop to jump?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've returned to Ireland after being abroad for many years. I've got an Ulster Bank account and found that I need a card reader to use my anytime/online banking. Never seen such before, and it seems a way to make convenient banking inconvenient.

Now I understand that I can order a card reader (which I just have). However, for ease of use, are there any Irish banks that don't have this "feature"? Any accounts where I can go through the two layers of security online, and simply make an online payment/transfer without any additional security hoop to jump?

PTSB and BOI don’t require card readers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

No idea about Ulster Bank, but AIB require a code reader to initial setup for Payees and Bills, but once this is done, the code reader not required for day to day usage.

All the Banks have (and rightly so) different hoops to jump throught for once-off transfers and setting up new payees. You are trusting them with your money, do you really want lax security to allow hackers to bleed your account dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Download their App from the play store, you only need a password to log in.

Download their App from the play store, you only need a password to log in.

Looks good. Checking it out now. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

No idea about Ulster Bank, but AIB require a code reader to initial setup for Payees and Bills, but once this is done, the code reader not required for day to day usage.

All the Banks have (and rightly so) different hoops to jump throught for once-off transfers and setting up new payees. You are trusting them with your money, do you really want lax security to allow hackers to bleed your account dry.

I am Ulster Bank and the card reader is only needed when you need to setup Payees and bills like in AIB and my guess like in the rest of banks. It's a security feature and I'll be surprised is the rest of the banks don't have anything similar. You only need it the first time you are setting things up and after that you are done. I haven't used mine in over a year or more so it's only a minor annoyance.

:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

tanit wrote: »
    I am Ulster Bank and the card reader is only needed when you need to setup Payees and bills like in AIB and my guess like in the rest of banks. It's a security feature and I'll be surprised is the rest of the banks don't have anything similar. You only need it the first time you are setting things up and after that you are done. I haven't used mine in over a year or more so it's only a minor annoyance.

Most banks don't have annoying card readers.

TBH it's a retarded feature since we already have the security from the login. In my experience from banks abroad, they'll send your phone a message with a code for entry online to verify payments. This card thingy stops me completely from starting. It mightn't be needed for later transactions, but it's still unnecessarily stopping me from dealing with my Paypal account... which frankly is stupid. That I need to order a physical bloody reader to use my own "anytime banking" account. .

TBH it's a retarded feature since we already have the security from the login. In my experience from banks abroad, they'll send your phone a message with a code for entry online to verify payments. This card thingy stops me completely from starting. It mightn't be needed for later transactions, but it's still unnecessarily stopping me from dealing with my Paypal account... which frankly is stupid. That I need to order a physical bloody reader to use my own "anytime banking" account. .

Text messages can be hacked that's why Google and others are encouraging the code generator apps and the codes are only used to set up payees and big transfers. Logins are as strong as your password is and most people don't use password managers and their passwords are not very secure.

It appears that AIB also use them. As I said the last time I used mine was a year ago it's really not a big thing and the set up of things if you need it it's only a couple of minutes with the card reader/code generator, but it's definitely your choice if you don't want it, go for something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I've returned to Ireland after being abroad for many years. I've got an Ulster Bank account and found that.......

OP, I'm affraid you'll discover that Irish banks, and possibly Ulster Bank in particular are way behind what you'd expect from any modern bank.
    Especially if you lived abroad and got used to more modern banking.

CiniO wrote: »
    OP, I'm affraid you'll discover that Irish banks, and possibly Ulster Bank in particular are way behind what you'd expect from any modern bank.
    Especially if you lived abroad and got used to more modern banking.

I cannot believe that in the 21st century someone would complain for security measures in your dealings with banks and anything onlinewhen Google has just very recently release their top of the line USB key to sign into your email account and it has been proven over and over again that everything can be hacked online and regarding online security more is always better and never enough.

Modern banking and digital content is all about security. I'm speechless right now :eek: :confused:

• Advertisement

I cannot believe that in the 21st century someone would complain for security measures in your dealings with banks and anything onlinewhen Google has just very recently release their top of the line USB key to sign into your email account and it has been proven over and over again that everything can be hacked online and regarding online security more is always better and never enough.

Modern banking and digital content is all about security. I'm speechless right now :eek: :confused:

There are many ways to protect bank accounts and online banking without needing a physical device that requires a week to be posted out to you. (I'll be waiting a week come tomorrow)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If you're talking about me complaining about security measures then I don't.
    I'm complaining about outdated security measures and online techniques of Irish banks.

A little update. I requested the card reader, and it came after 9 days. Okie dokie. It doesn't work. No power, and no way to replace batteries/recharge it. Bloody typical.

Advertisement