Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting car to UK insurance question

Options
  • 06-01-2018 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I know, this has been asked many times before, and I have searched older threads but couldnt find new information.
    I have moved to England with my Irish Reg car. I believe driving as a resident is not legal with foreign plates although my insurance is in date.
    I have made NOVA to HRMC already.
    What I am struggling with is finding somebody who would insure the vehicle for me on the VIN number. Adrian Flux refused to quote me for some  unknown reasons.
    Admiral quoted me over 5000 pounds. Direct Line 2500. None would provide temporary cover for two weeks.
    Tried my best to sell the car in Ireland but have had no reasonable offers at all.
    Anyone with recent experience could recommend me a broker/company?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Leave your car insured with your Irish insurance company while you get it registered in the Uk. That’s what I did. Once the car was Uk registered I took out a Uk insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭kayser

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Leave your car insured with your Irish insurance company while you get it registered in the Uk. That’s what I did. Once the car was Uk registered I took out a Uk insurance policy.
    Hi. My problem is that I can't get a uk registration without insuring my car in the uk. I believe Irish insurance doesn't allow me to register it with the dvla.
    Did you register it with your Irish insurance?

Yep I must have. I got it registered while it was still taxed, insured and nct’d so legal. I only took out a Uk insurance policy once I had my Uk logbook, plates etc

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭kayser

Thanks. Would you remember how long ago was that? I believe more recently, they have made UK insurance a mandatory requirement. I will try with the Irish insurance and see what DVLA says.

It was 2 years ago

• Advertisement
Advertisement