Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt collector after me for 22 euro

Options
  • 06-01-2018 4:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭

I have a debt collector after me for 22 euro . I basically never settled my closing balance with Tesco mobile when I switched to Vodafone which is my fault. I don't mind paying the 22 euro to them but I've heard these debt collectors are shady out and pure chancers and can try coming after you for more money even going as far to say you never paid them in the first place . I can't believe they are coming after me for such a low sum though . I've ignored their calls now for 2 months and now I've just gotten a letter into the door threatning legal action. Any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Talk to Tesco Mobile and pay them the €22.

Alternatively, you can pay the debt collector via bank transfer, which will act as a record of the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Give them the €22 you owe them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Paying your debt would be the simple answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Run like wind OP. Run like the wind.

OR

Pay the €22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭enricoh

Answer their call and laugh at them, calls will stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Aye generally if a debt collection agency has got involved you will have the original €22 debt plus a fee from the debt collectors on top of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    I have a debt collector after me for 22 euro . I basically never settled my closing balance with Tesco mobile when I switched to Vodafone which is my fault. I don't mind paying the 22 euro to them but I've heard these debt collectors are shady out and pure chancers and can try coming after you for more money even going as far to say you never paid them in the first place . I can't believe they are coming after me for such a low sum though . I've ignored their calls now for 2 months and now I've just gotten a letter into the door threatning legal action. Any advice ?

Pay it ASAP or get a bad credit record for 5 years minimum at best and won’t be able to apply for any type of debit based contract with your bank, utilities included. I’d also apologise and ask them for written confirmation that you haven’t been put on the ICB database with a bad credit record. €22 which you owe FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

sightband wrote: »
    Pay it ASAP or get a bad credit record for 5 years minimum at best and won’t be able to apply for any type of debit based contract with your bank, utilities included. I’d also apologise and ask them for written confirmation that you haven’t been put on the ICB database with a bad credit record. €22 which you owe FFS.

It can't go on the ICB record as they aren't members.

Banks don't generally use the private credit agencies - utility contracts etc do.

The apology isn't something I'd give them myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

It won't go on your ICB so no need to be concerned about that.

If you owe it then just pay Tesco what you owe, I wouldn't pay any money to those debt collectors and would ignore any communication from them myself.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    It can't go on the ICB record as they aren't members.

Banks don't generally use the private credit agencies - utility contracts etc do.

The apology isn't something I'd give them myself!
    rgace wrote: »
    It won't go on your ICB so no need to be concerned about that.

If you owe it then just pay Tesco what you owe, I wouldn't pay any money to those debt collectors and would ignore any communication from them myself.

On retrospect, I’ve reconsidered and I totally agree with this solid advice of ignoring and not apologising to debt collectors for any outstanding unpaid debt you have. It will work out well and that €22 you owe them will be hugely beneficial to your borrowing capabilities with no risk of refusal. Best of luck.

sightband wrote: »
    On retrospect, I’ve reconsidered and I totally agree with this solid advice of ignoring and not apologising to debt collectors for any outstanding unpaid debt you have. It will work out well and that €22 you owe them will be hugely beneficial to your borrowing capabilities with no risk of refusal. Best of luck.

Nobody has said not to pay it

Apologising is completely pointless and you massively overstated the credit risks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Tesco won't accept payment now

L1011 wrote: »
    Nobody has said not to pay it

Apologising is completely pointless and you massively overstated the credit risks.

Credit records are a small component of a credit score. Any lending institution will generate the scores from a variety of sources, one of which is the ICB credit record but it's not the only one. It is possible that the debt collection agency take the OP to court, and obtain a judgement. They check judgements too. If you have a judgement against you the bank will see that and you're not getting a loan no matter what the ICB says.

I am not massively (can I use bold as well to make a point even though I am not a moderator?) overstating any credit risk, there is a risk, all for €22. the OP has now admitted and was clear from the beginning obviously that Tesco have washed their hands with them, that is why they get a debt collector on board and pay them.

BTW, apologising to any person, agent, employee or whatever it may be when you are a customer and completely in the wrong can help a lot in resolving issues...especially when your future borrowing capabilities are at stake.

"credit scores" are record agency specific concepts, to begin with. Credit records are the only thing that create them and that is why they vary between the agencies.

No debt collection agency is ever going to go to court for €22. The filing fees alone ensure that it's pointless.

Banks are not known for using the private credit reference agencies.

You were, and still are, massively overstating the risk.

Also - the debt collector will get a hefty % of the €22 if paid. They don't need, want or care for an apology. Its utterly pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just pay Tesco mobile the €22 I doubt they hide their banking details so no one can ever pay them any money so just pay them in a way that is traceable like a bank transfer (already suggested) then tell the debt collection crowd to p!ss off.

If Tesco refund your money then keep it and forget all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

i got the exact same call for 26 euro.i nearly crashed the car because i knew nothing about it and ive never been in debt.i rang tesco and verified it to be true and they confirmed it.then i rang the debt collector and paid it.
    simplest thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Don't pay it. There are ZERO consequences, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

That may be true but the debt collector will probably haunt you for it.they'll keep ringing and sending out letters.that **** will get to you after awhile im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

That may be true but the debt collector will probably haunt you for it.they'll keep ringing and sending out letters.that **** will get to you after awhile im sure.

Some people have thick enough skins to just ignore them and if you engage with them at all they know they are getting to you so keep up the ringing and sending letters. So if you don't contact them they go away quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

my3cents wrote: »
    Some people have thick enough skins to just ignore them and if you engage with them at all they know they are getting to you so keep up the ringing and sending letters. So if you don't contact them they go away quicker.

Pay your bills and they never come near you at all.

hahah no they won't. They've got far better things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Yes, you can't go wrong with any advice found on the internet.

Yes, you can't go wrong with any advice found on the internet.

Hey OP pay it up now or you will go to jail!!!
    They will ring you every hour for months. Then turn up at your door. After this you will be sued for the 22 euro plust 5K in damanges. You will then be blacklisted from ever getting any credit card, loan or mortgage for life. Don't do it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Tesco won't accept payment now

Then send them the money and keep a record of having sent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hey OP pay it up now or you will go to jail!!!
    They will ring you every hour for months. Then turn up at your door. After this you will be sued for the 22 euro plust 5K in damanges. You will then be blacklisted from ever getting any credit card, loan or mortgage for life. Don't do it please.

I think the main point being made is just pay it if you owe it. Simples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Legally, from a practical perspective, there is nothing that will happen for €22. A civil court wouldn’t even entertain such a low claim and the Gardaí wouldn’t pursue a criminal case. Importantly, you will not have to pay anything extra to cover the cost of debt recovery and don’t bow to claims you have to pay from the debt collectors. Which debt collection agency are working to recover this debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It is irresponsible to say there are zero consequences. Court judgements can be secured and your name entered into Stubb’s Gazette etc. For a small amount like €22, the odds are much lower, but I’d never say never.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

feargale wrote: »
    Then send them the money and keep a record of having sent it.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye generally if a debt collection agency has got involved you will have the original €22 debt plus a fee from the debt collectors on top of that.

Wrong. Until such time as proceedings are issued the debtor is entitled to the debt and nothing more, no fees, no costs.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    It is irresponsible to say there are zero consequences. Court judgements can be secured and your name entered into Stubb’s Gazette etc. For a small amount like €22, the odds are much lower, but I’d never say never.

I say never when something is 99.9% unlikely. Debt collection agencies are the equivalent of spam email or 419 scams.

Advertisement