Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt collector after me for 22 euro

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Pay your bills and they never come near you at all.

Normally two points arise with these debt collection threads one is that a debt is owed and the other is how the debt collection agencies work.

If you check back I have already told the OP how he could pay Tesco even if they say they don't want the money now I'm talking about how the bottom feeding debt collection agencies work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

dudara wrote: »
    It is irresponsible to say there are zero consequences. Court judgements can be secured and your name entered into Stubb’s Gazette etc. For a small amount like €22, the odds are much lower, but I’d never say never.
    ay it ASAP or get a bad credit record for 5 years minimum at best and won’t be able to apply for any type of debit based contract with your bank, utilities included. I’d also apologise and ask them for written confirmation that you haven’t been put on the ICB database with a bad credit record. €22 which you owe FFS.

This is sensationalist nonsense.

Debt collectors have no standing in law to enforce debts. None. Nada. Zilch.

Their business model is based on fear and ignorance.

Solicitors can take people to Court. Debt Collection companies cannot.

Debt collectors cannot affect your credit rating in any way. Ever.

ICB members can.

I suggest you file their demands in the bin where they belong

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/debt/debt_collection.html#l724df

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/debt/debt_collection.html#l724df

Can't debt collectors hire solicitors, from what I hear there are solicitors who will work for any one these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Such nonsense on this thread.

De minimis non curat lex - the law don't care about such small things.

Don't pay it. No human from Tesco has handled this. It is an entirely automated process. As to the moral aspect - it is a certainty that Tesco plc have dicked staff and companies out of way more.

Do not gratify the debt collectors with a response. If you do want to waste your time on them - quote Section 11 of the Non-Fatal Offences against the Person Act 1997, that will scare them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

woejus wrote: »

Don't pay it. No human from Tesco has handled this. It is an entirely automated process. As to the moral aspect - it is a certainty that Tesco plc have dicked staff and companies out of way more.

Do not gratify the debt collectors with a response. If you do want to waste your time on them - quote Section 11 of the Non-Fatal Offences against the Person Act 1997, that will scare them off.

For €22, or about the price of 4 pints? Seriously, why would you be bothered having to dodge phone calls and the hassle of threatening letters? The op acknowledges that he/she didn't pay the closing balance, ffs pay the €22 and get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

davo10 wrote: »
    For €22, or about the price of 4 pints? Seriously, why would you be bothered having to dodge phone calls and the hassle of threatening letters? The op acknowledges that he/she didn't pay the closing balance, ffs pay the €22 and get a life.

Why don't you Fcuk off instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Tylerdurex wrote:
    Why don't you Fcuk off instead

Get some manners. The poster is trying to help you. You don't deserve any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Tylerdurex - warned for abusvive language. Keep it under control.

dudara

This is sensationalist nonsense.

Debt collectors have no standing in law to enforce debts. None. Nada. Zilch.

Their business model is based on fear and ignorance.

ICB members can.

I suggest you file their demands in the bin where they belong

Yes, it’s a little sensationalist, but what I am trying to get across is understanding the consequences of debt. When you understand all the possible consequences, then you can make a risk-based assessment on your own circumstances.

The ICB is not the only means of determine creditworthiness and companies / industries operate other means of credit checking. Court judgements are a possibility when it comes to debt.

woejus wrote: »

By that logic it would be morally OK to walk into Tesco and walk out with a slab of beer without paying for it.

Whatever about legally, there is no moral difference between not paying a debt and theft.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

dudara wrote: »
    Yes, it’s a little sensationalist, but what I am trying to get across is understanding the consequences of debt. When you understand all the possible consequences, then you can make a risk-based assessment on your own circumstances.

The ICB is not the only means of determine creditworthiness and companies / industries operate other means of credit checking. Court judgements are a possibility when it comes to debt.

It's the general attitude in Ireland.
    Don't pay water, property tax, speeding fines from abroad, cut off clamps and don't pay them either, get your €20k for scratches and owies, get everything because you're "entitled" basically treat the world as your playting, buffet, ATM and toilet.
    Then complain loudly on the internet how peoiple are selfish assholes only out for themselves and what happened to the world and that everyone just p*sses on everyone else. And complain really loudly how politicians are of the same attitude. To me it's part of the reason why Ireland will never be Switzerland, Sweden or Norway. In those countries people have a sense of working together rather than against each other.

edit:
    Don't bother telling me to fcuk back off to Germany. I have. It's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I always laugh at posts that say ignore debt collectors, ignore letters, they can't do anything, etc etc etc etc

Utter rubbish and I've yet to see any statement like this backed up by any form of proof.

Lets take a €40 debt. - How much time will you waste ignoring it? What value do you put on your time!? Once its a valid debt (as it is in the op's case) pay it. Using a debt collector is also covered in the t&cs so ignore those who write bs telling you they have no right to contact you.

Of course its highly unlikely that it will ever go to a court. But...

There's consolidation in the debt collection / financial info sector. Many are already different parts of one organisation (stubbs + intrum justicia)

These organisations are used by many non bank organisations to get credit ratings - so failure to pay an intrum justisia demand will leave a black mark against your name on their system. How many firms offering credit uses Stubbs as a credit check company? Quite a few including mobile companies, virgin media, littlewoods and utility companies such as energia.

So those who say it won't damage you are totally and utterly wrong. It may not affect a bank loan application, but when you get asked for a €500 deposit for signing up to an electricity supplier, think back to that time you refused to pay a small bill.

Btwb- I use Vision-net for giving credit to corporate customers. You'd be surprised at some that get a poor report for late payment to other suppliers that use Vision-net too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I always laugh at posts that say ignore debt collectors, ignore letters, they can't do anything, etc etc etc etc

Utter rubbish and I've yet to see any statement like this backed up by any form of proof.

Lets take a €40 debt. - How much time will you waste ignoring it? What value do you put on your time!? Once its a valid debt (as it is in the op's case) pay it. Using a debt collector is also covered in the t&cs so ignore those who write bs telling you they have no right to contact you.

Of course its highly unlikely that it will ever go to a court. But...

There's consolidation in the debt collection / financial info sector. Many are already different parts of one organisation (stubbs + intrum justicia)

These organisations are used by many non bank organisations to get credit ratings - so failure to pay an intrum justisia demand will leave a black mark against your name on their system. How many firms offering credit uses Stubbs as a credit check company? Quite a few including mobile companies, virgin media, littlewoods and utility companies such as energia.

So those who say it won't damage you are totally and utterly wrong. It may not affect a bank loan application, but when you get asked for a €500 deposit for signing up to an electricity supplier, think back to that time you refused to pay a small bill.

Btwb- I use Vision-net for giving credit to corporate customers. You'd be surprised at some that get a poor report for late payment to other suppliers that use Vision-net too.

Long shpiel but ultimately nonsense;

(1) no time is wasted ignoring as ignoring exists in a temporally ignorant vacuum.
    (2) highly unlikely that it will go to court to the point of being impossible. They may issue a summons and send it to you but if this happens they will be far more than €22 out of pocket and will not likely recover these costs so will not therefore take such a risk for a €22 debt. As such, no judgment will be obtained.

Get some manners. The poster is trying to help you. You don't deserve any help.

Yea with a condescending dig thrown in for good measure . How is telling someone go get a life helpful?

(1) no time is wasted ignoring as ignoring exists in a temporally ignorant vacuum.
    (2) highly unlikely that it will go to court to the point of being impossible. They may issue a summons and send it to you but if this happens they will be far more than €22 out of pocket and will not likely recover these costs so will not therefore take such a risk for a €22 debt. As such, no judgment will be obtained.

1, True, but it might add to your recycling pile!

2, I don't think Ceilingfly was implying that it would go to court, just that when the person next tries to sign up to another service in the future they are more likely to be asked for a large deposit.

However I still believe that not paying your debts is morally identical to theft. If you don't pay your debts you really aren't any better than a pick-pocket or shop-lifter.

In the OPs situation it's more like forgetting to pay, but nevertheless once reminded they should have paid. I also doubt it was handed over to a debt collection agency without at least one reminder.

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Yea with a condescending dig thrown in for good measure . How is telling someone go get a life helpful?

To be fair, acknowledging you owe what is a pretty small debt, and complaining about the collection agent, is like sucking a lemon and then complaining that it is bitter.

davo10 wrote: »
    To be fair, acknowledging you owe what is a pretty small debt, and complaining about the collection agent, is like sucking a lemon and then complaining that it is bitter.

Did you actually read my original post . People have heads like sieves and actually don't retain the total body of the original post. I said I don't mind paying the 22 euro but concerned paying them this initial sum will lead to them coming after me for.more money . It's pretty much accepted by the majority here that debt collectors are the most corrupt shady group of individuals that would chance anything

Did you actually read my original post . People have heads like sieves and actually don't retain the total body of the original post. I said I don't mind paying the 22 euro but concerned paying them this initial sum will lead to them coming after me for.more money . It's pretty much accepted by the majority here that debt collectors are the most corrupt shady group of individuals that would chance anything

When you pay, ask for acknowledgement that the payment is in full and final settlement of the debt. They will provide documentation to this effect.

To reiterate what I (poorly) said, and which CeilingFly has put better, the debt may not go to court, but you will be black marked on whatever credit scoring system the company uses. And these credit scoring systems are used by many companies, so there could well be impact in other areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Tylerdurex wrote:

Have you any sense?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Didn't you understand my post

Yes, highly unlikely it will end up with a summons. Almost definitely not.

However, highly LIKELY that it will stay on record and will form part of a credit refusal by some company that uses same debt collection / credit reference agent in future.

For €22!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Didn't you understand my post

Yes, highly unlikely it will end up with a summons. Almost definitely not.

However, highly LIKELY that it will stay on record and will form part of a credit refusal by some company that uses same debt collection / credit reference agent in future.

For €22!!!!!!!

i gave up on that much sense early on, i suggest you do the same as there's very little of it to be found here. the OP will go far in life by the looks of things, best of luck to him/her, they'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If you don’t mind paying it, why did you not just pay it in the first place without them having to send a debt collector after you for 22.

Too many people think ah it’s only 22, it’s only Tesco.

If Tesco over charged you by 22 you’d not just accept it and toddle off.

It’s a bit ironic calling debt collectors shady chancers.

Without shady chancers, sure they’d have no job at all!

A few points seen as you "don't mind paying"

• You knew from day one you owed the €22, if you don't mind paying it, why didn't you?
    • long before DC's get involved, Tesco would have contacted you about the debt, you had an opportunity to pay then.
    • as dudara posted, get a receipt for the €22 owed, case closed.
    • €22 is a paltry sum to be getting annoyed with DC's or posters about, most would pay it and be done with it. If you can't see the logic in that, then what hope have you of managing larger sums like overdrafts, car finance or a home mortgage.
    • it is not accepted by the majority that DC's are "corrupt" or "shady", that view point does however give a false sense of moral superiority to those who do not accept responsibility for their debts. None of us would want a DC contacting us, so I suspect the "majority" can't understand why you put yourself in that position over €22.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's pretty much accepted by the majority here that debt collectors are the most corrupt shady group of individuals that would chance anything

And yet they are still better than people who don't pay their debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

It's the general attitude in Ireland.
    Don't pay water, property tax, speeding fines from abroad, cut off clamps and don't pay them either, get your €20k for scratches and owies, get everything because you're "entitled" basically treat the world as your playting, buffet, ATM and toilet.
    Then complain loudly on the internet how peoiple are selfish assholes only out for themselves and what happened to the world and that everyone just p*sses on everyone else. And complain really loudly how politicians are of the same attitude. To me it's part of the reason why Ireland will never be Switzerland, Sweden or Norway. In those countries people have a sense of working together rather than against each other.

edit:
    Don't bother telling me to fcuk back off to Germany. I have. It's great.

How many people don't pay their Broadcasting fee in Germany :) ?

https://www.thelocal.de/20160404/first-person-ever-jailed-for-public-broadcaster-fee

And I've heard of plenty of Germans chancing their arm not paying speeding tickets from Abroad and even in Germany with the hope that the Landhaupstadt doesn't bother pursuing it

The Germans are no better than the Irish, if they can get away with not paying they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

redcup342 wrote: »
    How many people don't pay their Broadcasting fee in Germany :) ?

https://www.thelocal.de/20160404/first-person-ever-jailed-for-public-broadcaster-fee

And I've heard of plenty of Germans chancing their arm not paying speeding tickets from Abroad and even in Germany with the hope that the Landhaupstadt doesn't bother pursuing it

The Germans are no better than the Irish, if they can get away with not paying they will.

The link you provide doesn't really support your argument. The protestor mentioned refuses to pay on principal and is willing to go to jail rather than pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

rock22 wrote: »
    The link you provide doesn't really support your argument. The protestor mentioned refuses to pay on principal and is willing to go to jail rather than pay.

My argument was the Germans are as just the same as Irish with not paying if they can get away with it.

A shed load never paid the Broadcasting fee, it's the exact same as the Irish Water fiasco.

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/324660-refusing-to-pay-tv-license-fees-rundfunkbeitrag/

The ones that have a problem are the ones that paid and stopped, the ones that never paid continue to get different colored letters and chuck them in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This is a lie and you really should not be misleading people.

This is what a stubbs gazette search entails;

https://www.stubbsgazette.ie/credit-bureau

Judgments
    Disqualified/Restricted Directors
    Bankruptcies
    Personal Insolvencies
    Businesses
    Directorships
    Know Your Lawyer
    Revenue Defaulters
    Tenancy Orders
    CRO Documents
    Stubbs unique Debt Collection Data

These searches DO NOT included. Unpaid utilities, sky, virgin, ESB, etc.

Debt collectors cannot affect your credit rating. Ever. In any way.

A solicitor instructed by the debt holder, not a third party can take you to Court and get a judgment.

That's it.

I'm sick to death of people spreading misinformation.

Debt collectors have zero powers. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Ignore them in every circumstance.

Do not ignore solicitors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement