Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

mikep wrote: »
    Hi folks
    I know this is off topic but does anyone know of a good wineshop for wines from older vintages, I'm thinking mature Bordeaux or Burgundy..
    I usually buy online from abroad but looking closer to home.
    Would need a one that does delivery..

Thanks

Mitchells Wine

Celtic Whiskey Shop too and OBriens have a limited selection but some nice stuff there. Grand Crus, Pauillacs et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Online retailer Wines of the World (based in Cork) have a sale on some older vintages from Burgundy... dunno how good those vintages were mind.

https://www.winesoftheworld.ie/red-wine/pinot-noir

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Online retailer Wines of the World (based in Cork) have a sale on some older vintages from Burgundy... dunno how good those vintages were mind.

Judging by their "Fat Bastard Pinot Noir" and "Sir Ian Botham Cabernet Sauvignon" I wouldn't hold out too much hope. :D

Try Wines Direct. They supply the trade also, so have a good range.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Judging by their "Fat Bastard Pinot Noir" and "Sir Ian Botham Cabernet Sauvignon" I wouldn't hold out too much hope. :D

Try Wines Direct. They supply the trade also, so have a good range.

Faiveley is a well know burgundy, most of those listed are premier Cru.

Wines direct has a large selection of wines, not no mature burgundys. All were pretty young.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Order placed today with Mitchels

Didn't have the cash to go too mad though.

• Advertisement

Stocked up in the Tesco 25 percent off 6 or more bottles deal.
    * Tesco Finest Chateauneuf Du Pape
    * Tesco Finest Barolo
    * Ghost Pines Cabernet (Sonoma, Napa)
    * Cune Rioja Gran Reserva
    * Faustino V Rioja
    * Penfolds Shiraz Cabernet
    * La Burgondie Gamay
    * Some half bottles of Santa Rita Cabernet and Los Cardos Sav Blanc as they were 2 for 10e. I find them handy when just having a glass with dinner.

Tesco Barolo? That’s a surprising one. It’s generally a premium variety.
    Which Penfolds was it out of curiosity? Koonunga Hill or one of the bins?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mellor wrote: »

Lidl do a Barolo, too

Mellor wrote: »

I have gotten it before when it came from Ascheri and was as nice as the starting Ascheri Barolo in OBriens which is 30-35.
    Different producer now Fratelli Martini, Tesco rrp 20.

The Penfolds is Koonunga Hill.
    RRP 18 down to 14 and 25% off that.

Lidl do a Barolo, too

Lidl near me. Aldi do an ice chianti but no Barolo.
    The Penfolds is Koonunga Hill.
    RRP 18 down to 14 and 25% off that.

Koonunga Hill is a good everyday red. Any of the Penfolds range won’t let you down really.
    The top range are incredible, but so expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Just to re-emphasize previous posts regarding 25% off in Tesco, it really is superb value.

Today I got 5 decent enough Bordeaux wines, which were around ten euro each, plus a bottle of own brand Barolo previously referenced (about 20 euro).

25% off, plus voucher for 10 euro off 50, means net price for all six was just over 40 euro.

Wine Spectator have picked Santa Rita - Medalla Real Gold Single Vineyard - Cabernet Sauvignon at #11 in their Top 100 Wines of the Year, with a 92 point score.

Currently priced at €12 in Tesco... if people are planning a raid on the 25% off deal.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Another pick from Tesco, this time a white.
    Tesco Finest Cotes De Gascogne €9 - a blend of Colombard and Gros Manseng.
    Gentle apple and lemon flavours, a long fresh finish.
    Went well with lemon chicken, I imagine would also work with lightly seasoned fish, seafood, pork, cheeses such as brie.
    A nice alternative to the zingy acidity of say sauvignon blanc.

At 11.5% would be a good option for a lunchtime wine.

tesco-finest-ctes-de-gascogne-2016-5a1589b5c4fb1.jpeg

A round up of wines tasted so far over the festive period, some bought, some given as presents, some served :)

These were all lovely wines of their type, all would work well with Christmas dinner:
    * Tesco Finest Chateauneuf Du Pape rrp €20
    * Messer Del Fauno Nero D’Avola rrp €11
    * Tapa Roja Old Vines Monastrell (M&S) rrp €12
    * Sarah Jessica Parker Invivo Sauvignon Blanc rrp €18

Circumstances conspired to present a chance to taste the Kylie Minogue range of wines from Tesco, so here goes:
    * Kylie Minogue Merlot rrp €10
    ** This is from the Languedoc and exceeds expectations, a red wine with vanilla flavours coming through, almost creamy, perfect with cheese.
    * Kylie Minogue Sauvignon Blanc rrp €10
    ** This is from the Gascony region, and while a nice wine is eclipsed by Tesco Finest Cotes De Gascogne (see above)
    * Kylie Minogue Rose rrp €10
    ** This is from the Cotes du Provence, and likewise while nice, is eclipsed by Tesco Finest Provence Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭Invincible

Wine Spectator have picked Santa Rita - Medalla Real Gold Single Vineyard - Cabernet Sauvignon at #11 in their Top 100 Wines of the Year, with a 92 point score.

Currently priced at €12 in Tesco... if people are planning a raid on the 25% off deal.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Was looking for that wine in Spectator, but couldn't see it rated in their 100, but found it in Wine Enthusiast.
    https://www.winemag.com/buying-guide/santa-rita-2017-medalla-real-gold-medal-single-vineyard-cabernet-sauvignon-maipo-valley/

Invincible wrote: »
    Was looking for that wine in Spectator, but couldn't see it rated in their 100, but found it in Wine Enthusiast.
    https://www.winemag.com/buying-guide/santa-rita-2017-medalla-real-gold-medal-single-vineyard-cabernet-sauvignon-maipo-valley/

Doh! Am always mixing them up, so you're probably right there :)
    Has gone up to €19 in Tesco alas and the 25% off has finished also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭Invincible

Doh! Am always mixing them up, so you're probably right there :)
    Has gone up to €19 in Tesco alas and the 25% off has finished also.

€15.74 in Dunnes tonight before 25% discount on 6 bottles. ðŸ‘

Getting around to some of the wines picked up in the pre-christmas discount sales.

The Tesco Finest Barolo is a very nice wine, but I think the previous version from Ascheri was superior - Ascheri are the suppliers of O'Briens Barolos.

For the same price range I'd recommend the Tesco Finest Chateauneuf Du Pape, and for Barolo opting for the €30 Ascheri in O'Briens.

Continuing with the Tesco wines, the Faustino V Rioja really is lovely. Paired nicely with New Year's Day lamb.

I wouldn't have checked it out without recommendations on boards as I already have a dozen Riojas on the shelves.
    And what a bargain, currently showing as €15 but was €10 in December and an extra 25% off.

Tonight's wine is Pegos Claros Reserva 2015 - a lovely wine from Portugal.

On the nose there is delicate coffee along with small berries. The palate gives you ripe blackberry, cherry and earthy notes. Made with indigenous grapes from 40 year old vines using traditional method - Sweeneys Off Licence

"Produced from old-vine Castelão in the grape's heartland of the Setúbal peninsula, the wine is seriously dense, showing fine black fruits and ripe tannins. It is now mature, juicy and fruity." 90 points, Wine Enthusiast

Retailing at about €17 from independent off licences and worth the price.

pegos-claros-reserva-red-wine.jpg

• Advertisement

Saturday night is seafood night (prawns pil pil) accompanied by Tesco Finest Picpoul de Pinet.

Priced at €9 it is a good go to option for a seafood friendly white wine.

From the 'new world' region of France, the Languedoc, it has more similarities with new world Sauvigon Blanc than Sancerre or Burgundy.

I purchased it based on a review from Decanter of an earlier vintage and I would say it lives up to that earlier review - ‘a brilliantly tangy hit of apple, pear and lemon zing’ 89 points.

tesco-picpoul-5983389775c9f.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RichardL1951

That looks like a fabulous wine. I’ve visited the website but do you buy it?

That looks like a fabulous wine. I’ve visited the website but do you buy it?

The Tesco finest Picpoul de Pinet should be in most stores.

For the Pegos Claros Reserva, it'd need to be an off licence like O'Briens or around Dublin Molloys, Sweeneys, Whelehans Wines etc
    The off licences would do deliveries but think usually you need 6 bottles.

Cantina Zaccagnini ‘Twiggy’ Montepulciano D’Abruzzo.

€15 from Nolans Clontarf and paired perfectly with their butcher counter Italian-style free range sausages - actually one of the best pairings I've had.

Description copied from
    https://www.jusdevine.ie/store/red-wine/cantina-zaccagnini-twiggy-montepulciano-dabruzzo/
    Light in alcohol (12.5%), but smooth and richly fruity, with dark cherries and plums. Medium-bodied and elegant.

Really enjoyed this but I would say though you can pick up equally lovely Italian reds for about €10 - €12 price range.

* No I don't know why there is a twig wrapped around the bottle!

Twiggy-Montepulciano-155x528.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Twiggy is a favourite in our house. Anywhere under €16 is good value for it. Fairly widely available, Avoca etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

I've a soft spot for twiggy also.

Can be a bit pricey in some places. I've seen it in a few super values over 20e at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wazabru

I know about the twig.

It is a vine offcut.

It is put on the bottle by local folks who have learning difficulties.

They get a payment per bottle and earn a wage in employment as a result.

The vineyard are providing extensive local employment for the community including those with disability.

And the twig is a genius piece of brand marketing.....everyone knows "Twiggy".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Can anybody recommend any alcohol free red wines? Preferably a Malbec, although open to Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon too. Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

DenMan wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend any alcohol free red wines? Preferably a Malbec, although open to Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon too. Thanks guys!

sadly not! I went off wine for a month pre Christmas, I couldn't find anything that I would recommend. All too sweet and not 'winey' enough!

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »

McGuigan have a non alcoholic white which tastes like an ok offdry white would taste.
    The reds I have tried eg Natureo were like grape juice. Maybe ok chilled. But I think will stick with cranberry juice.

Advertisement