Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To mark an occasion managed to track down a bottle of this in Dublin (Gibneys Malahide). This is a Central Otago Pinot noir from estate vineyards owned by actor Sam Neill.

A deserved 91 points from Wine Spectator:
    Fresh and juicy, featuring cherry and raspberry flavors that are bright and fragrant, with details of toasted rye, dried lavender and sarsaparilla, set on a dense, tight body. Shows plenty of concentration and spicy details that linger. This may become more expressive with short-term cellaring. Drink now through 2030.

It's a fantastic wine, although I don't think I could justify the price €45 again considering the amazing wines you can get for half the price.

All the technical info about the wine is here:
    https://www.twopaddocks.com/our-wines/current-wines/two-paddocks/2016-two-paddocks-pinot-noir/

2016_Two_Paddocks_Central_Otago_Pinot_Noir-20171221082146_43599891-1817-4f53-96b3-d6774941752d_large.jpg?v=1515733443

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

Is that a screwtop?

Not that I'm a screwtop snob.

I just don't recall seeing too many 45e screwtops :D

limnam wrote: »
    Is that a screwtop? Not that I'm a screwtop snob.
    I just don't recall seeing too many 45e screwtops :D

By gad. Nothing gets past you!

It's a fancy Stelvin closure screwtop, have only seen it on more expensive bottles from the Antipodes:
    https://www.amcor.com/stelvin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was reading something recently that said Australian wine producers package with something like 99% screw tops. I assume NZ would be something similar. I think it stems from the fact that our Australasian friends were always at the bottom of the list when it came to dishing out the top quality cork supplies. Therefore they were always looking for an alternative.

I like the ritual of popping a cork from a bottle of wine, but the screw tops always seem more practical.

BaZmO* wrote: »

I like the ritual of popping a cork from a bottle of wine

Me too.

One of the most beautiful sounds and a big part of the experience for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Corks basically guarantee inconsistency, though. No supplier can guarantee supply chain all the way to consumer let alone what the consumer does themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah it’s a weird one alright. It’s an intrinsic part of drinking wine but it’s literally a lottery when it comes to quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It literally makes no difference to me, the only thing I dislike are plastic corks. I’d prefer a screw top to a plastic cork anyday.

Incidentally I had to pour away a bottle of Chilean Pinot Noir last night as it was tainted, despite being screwcap.

dudara wrote: »
    It literally makes no difference to me, the only thing I dislike are plastic corks. I’d prefer a screw top to a plastic cork anyday.

Incidentally I had to pour away a bottle of Chilean Pinot Noir last night as it was tainted, despite being screwcap.

Surly you enjoy the *PoP* of the cork no? :)

Technically the cork should be eased out, not really allowed to pop. The sound wouldn’t make a difference to me with regular wine service, it is however, great fun when opening a bottle of sparkling wine.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Technically the cork should be eased out, not really allowed to pop. The sound wouldn’t make a difference to me with regular wine service, it is however, great fun when opening a bottle of sparkling wine.

Ah...

I'll have to work on my technique :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Surly you enjoy the *PoP* of the cork no? :)

I've come to love the crack of the seal breaking on a screwcap. I, now, associate screwcaps with quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So so good

0638013b.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Looking forward to giving it a try. Did you pick it up in Molloys or somewhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Looking forward to giving it a try. Did you pick it up in Molloys or somewhere else?

Mate of mine bought it for me but think he got it in Molloys yeah.

Lovely. Loads of spice.

I’m currently enjoying a glass of this Gooseberry Bush Sauvignon Colombard from South Africa. It came in my latest box from the Sunday Times Wine Club. It’s very fresh and lively, with gooseberries tempered by some soft fruit.

0216717b.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Rare vineyards sauvignin blanc.

Savouring. Going tee total for April

It can be hard to find mini bottles of wines with something drinkable in them.

Not making any great claims for these wines but they are decent enough for when you just want one glass with dinner, and readily available in supermarkets.

Carmen Reserva Premier Cabernet Sauvignon
    820%5C7804335002820%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Cono Sur Bicicleta Merlot
    conosur-bicicleta.png

A juicy blockbuster Australian red, d'Arenberg "The Stump Jump" 2016.
    It's a blend of Grenache Syrah Mourvedre, which is the same mix as typical Cotes du Rhone.

€12 in Dunnes Stores at the moment or €9 if bought as part of the 25% off 6 bottles deal.

81wEWGfgdrL._AC_UL320_SR248,320_.jpg

I should probably look in O'Briens more when buying wine. A friend brought this over last night and we had it with the chorizo and rice bake from the boards cooking club.

Very well balanced and hides the 14.5% very well.

A bit on the pricey side at 20+. But if you like Malbec it's definitely worth it.

12WARG003-Norton-Privada-Malbec_1.png

• Advertisement

Taittinger Brut NV Champagne - not drinking it right now but picked up a bottle of this for special occasion as it's on offer for €40 in O'Briens. A lovely dry champagne, not too acidic or aggressive.

Taittinger-Brut-NV-776x1176.jpg

A firm favorite red for tonight. Rinforzo Primitivo from Puglia. Currently reduced to €16 in O’Briens. The traps are semi-dried before the winemaking leading to a lovely depth of fruit & flavour.

13WITA016-Rinforzo_1.png

I don't drink a huge amount of rose but yesterday's weather called for it.

This was outstanding really fresh,vibrant summer fruits

I can see this making more outings over the summer

Normally 18.99e from curious wines but they currently have 20% of Rhone wines so came in just over 15e.

Probably not the perfect match but had it with slices of for once, not overly salty salami I picked up in the English Market.

Domaine-de-la-Verde-Vacqueyras-Royal-Sunset.jpg

^^ Really intrigued by that Vacqueyras rosé. Must pick up a bottle next time I’m home.

My mother in law had a bottle of Chateau Souverain Californian Chardonnay for lunch today. Really pleasantly surprised by the value for money here (currently €12 in Tesco). It’s rare to get Cali wines of good quality at this price point. Medium bodied, nice touches of buttery oak with good freshness for balance.

chteau-souverain-chardonnay-california-2014-593fe78c502da.jpeg

Nice organic Tempranillo- Syrah mix for under a tenner.

Well 20% off Spain at the mo in curious wines normally 11.49

It seems everyone is increasing their stock of organic wines. Tasting notes mention subtle but I found it very fruit forward. I had with a really beautiful T-Bone from the local butcher.

It mentions to chill in warmer weather, I had it at 18 on the nose but can see it benefiting from 20-30 minutes at a cooler temp before opening.

Oh and yeah, it's a screw top and I think my first screw top organic wine. :eek:

campo_flores_tinto_organic-1498632107.jpg

Picked this one up for €12 in Dunnes as part of 6 bottles for the 25% back in points deal.
    - Dona Paula Estate Black Edition
    - Argentinian red blend of Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot
    - The OH is a big fan of the basic Dona Paula Malbec which is probably one of the best under €10 supermarkets wines, but I think the blend here takes things up a notch
    - Had some real depth of flavour, intense black purple color gonna say black cherries?

7798090162212_3.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I always keep an eye out for that on offer. One of the best Supermarket reds IMO.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Picked this one up for €12 in Dunnes as part of 6 bottles for the 25% back in points deal.
    - Dona Paula Estate Black Edition
    - Argentinian red blend of Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot
    - The OH is a big fan of the basic Dona Paula Malbec which is probably one of the best under €10 supermarkets wines, but I think the blend here takes things up a notch
    - Had some real depth of flavour, intense black purple color gonna say black cherries?

Can you use the 10e off vouchers with the 6 bottle deals?

Can you use the 10e off vouchers with the 6 bottle deals?

Yes, but you have to have a Dunnes value card as the 25% is returned in points in the next mailing rather than taken off the price when paying at the til (which is what Tesco do when running their 25% off for 6 bottles deal).

Edit - The current iteration of the deal ends tomorrow Monday 6th May and the points will be returned as vouchers in the September mail.
    http://www.dunnesstores.com/valueclub-term-promotions/content/fcp-content

• Advertisement

Tonight’s wine was the Lingenfelder Estate Riesling Trocken from O’Briens for €20. I’ve had this on the shelf for a while, so not sure when it went out of stock. A nice stony, not kerosene-y, Riesling with citrus and nice acidity.

17WGER003-Lingenfelder-Estate-Riesling-Trocken.png

Advertisement