Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

At a tasting yesterday and took home a bottle of Canace Nero di Troia from Puglia for £19. Full bodied with loads of chocolate throughout. Will open it with a nice dessert.

1033-canace-nero-di-troia-cantine-diomede.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Picked this one up for €12 in Dunnes as part of 6 bottles for the 25% back in points deal.
    - Dona Paula Estate Black Edition
    - Argentinian red blend of Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot
    - The OH is a big fan of the basic Dona Paula Malbec which is probably one of the best under €10 supermarkets wines, but I think the blend here takes things up a notch
    - Had some real depth of flavour, intense black purple color gonna say black cherries?

Tried this out, for a "supermarket" wine and the price it's a very decent wine.

I thought the alcohol was a bit over done on it though

I'm confused :) if I remember you're not a fan of wines with a lot of alcohol on them but any wine I've tried you recommend I find the alcohol too much and I love strong reds.

Maybe I didn't decant it long enough. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

limnam wrote: »
    Tried this out, for a "supermarket" wine and the price it's a very decent wine.
    I thought the alcohol was a bit over done on it though
    I'm confused :) if I remember you're not a fan of wines with a lot of alcohol on them but any wine I've tried you recommend I find the alcohol too much and I love strong reds.
    Maybe I didn't decant it long enough. *shrug*

I didn't pick up on that, although I have noticed that wines have been edging up by 0.5% or 1% over say 3 years ago. Getting hard to find 12.5% wines around.
    So maybe my palate has de-sensitised, or it could be the decanting as you note.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Picked up a bottle of this on trip to Italy (Ventimiglia) I don't think the Lohsa brand is available here but must keep an eye out for the Morellino di Scansano version of Sangiovese.

This was 14.5% but well balanced, smooth and depth of fruit flavour.
    Decanted for 1 hour :)

1017363.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We tasted this Montefalco Sagrantino in my monthly wine club - one of the members had imported a case following a visit to the winemaker. Sangrantino is a local grape to the Umbria region, particularly Montefalco. This particular wine was an incredible 16.5% but it genuinely didn't register. Very beautifully balanced, great flavour intensity, lots of freshness and great potential for aging. €18 per bottle direct from the grower, plus €3 per bottle shipping to Ireland apparently.

This kind of find makes me so happy to know other people who enjoy wine as much as I do.

benedetti-grigi-sagrantino-montefalco.jpg

• Advertisement

This was LIDL's wine of the week last weekend, replacing the advertised Tarragona Rioja Riserva (which is also lovely).

LIDL Chianti Riserva DOCG 2015, from Corte Alle Mura. It was €6.75 down from rrp €9 and checks in at 13%.

I decanted it 2 hours before, I find that helps a lot with Chiantis and was rewarded with a silky red, with a nice long dry finish. Went perfectly with LIDL's rib roast on the bone.

10655484.jpg

Opened a bottle of Quinta de Aciprestes Douro red to go with our BBQ steak last night.

This wine is a blend, and it doesn’t give the composition on the label. A bit of Googling suggests that it’s a mix of Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional and Tinta Roriz. This was a beautifully structured wine showing great balance between dark red fruit flavours and notes of vanilla and smoke.

quinta-dos-aciprestes-red-2015.jpg

We purchased this from The Corkscrew, but I’m afraid that I don’t remember the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Marques de Concordia rioja joven €12, more interesting than a lot of crianzas out there in the same price bracket

Tough challenge on the wine pairing front... M&S Pork shoulder, lightly smoked with an apple BBQ rub.
    Went for Aussie Shiraz from the McGuigan range - 2015 bin 956 - picked up on offer in Tesco for €7.
    Perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

i47knzhl.jpg

Guys, why is Georgian wine so hard to get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Had some Italian guests over, so tough crowd :pac:
    In the decanter was this beauty.

Tasting notes on the website mention

sweet red fruits and integrating beautifully with savoury elements of coffee bean, vanilla, cocoa and truffle.

Did not get most of those, but an amazing spice hit with the red fruits.

It's 13.5% but with a body of a 14+ and organic.

17.99e from curious wines

We had this with a very slowly cooked lamb leg with all the trimmings

Aria-Organic-Nero-d-Avola.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Rob2D wrote: »

Same for Hungarian wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Rob2D wrote: »
    As far as I can remember M&S do a nice Georgian red. I've also picked up some in Polish/Lithuanian shops.

I am mostly a red wine drinker but this was a lovely white, went perfectly with seafood in white sauce. €19 from Martins off licence in D3.
    https://www.martinsofflicence.ie/macon-verze-croix-jarrier-chardonnay/

A white burgundy from Macon, "Macon Verze Croix Jarrier Chardonnay".
    Importantly, not oaked, and the tasting note from Martins describes it perfectly:
    Has an intense nose with apple, peach coming through primarily with minerality following. This is a balanced wine with fine acidity, fruitiness on the palate. Medium to long finish.

360x510_p1542642567883_macon-verze-croix-jarrier.jpg

The Nal wrote: »
    Same for Hungarian wine.

Think LIDL have a Hungarian merlot next week for about €9 as a special run.

Sampled this at an O'Briens wine tasting at Taste of Dublin.
    Gérard Bertrand Domaine de l'Aigle Chardonnay, Languedoc 2017.
    On offer at the moment with 10% off at €18.86.

I'm not a fan of heavily oaked chardonnay this had just a nice hit of it without overpowering it and has a nice dry finish. It's 14% which is strong for a white I think, so unlike some 'party' whites one glass of this goes a long way.
    Would be great with white fish in a bechamel type sauce.

10WFRA085-Domaine-de-l_Aigle-Chardonnay.png

I think the Porta 6 from O'Briens is well known already on this thread, but I thought I would give it a bump.

Got a bottle for €15 at Taste of Dublin (off licence price is €12.95) and despite beign served in plastic tumblers it went very well to all the sample plates thrown against it...
    * Tesco finest beef sliders
    * Amritsari Masala Pork Ribs from Pickle
    * "Blaa blaa black sheep" - Black faced mountain lamb & & Walsh's buttered Blaa from Jaipur

I would imagine it goes down a storm at parties and BBQs.

14WPOR001-Porta-6.png

LIDL Beaujolais Villages 2018.
    Reduced to €5 from €8 as last weekend's "Wine of the Week" in LIDL and surprisingly, there were still cases left by lunchtime Saturday.

Chilled for an hour in fridge before dinner. Nice, light 'summer' wine at 12.5%. Don't think it would work half as well on a chilly autumn evening.

44976_01.jpg

https://www.tomdoorley.com/aldi-springsummer-wines-2019

Tried a few of these. The Cotes de Provence Rosé is elite, the Pinot is top top level, as is the 7 quid Bouches du Rhône and the Don Tomas Malbec is too. Such good value.

The Nal wrote: »
    https://www.tomdoorley.com/aldi-springsummer-wines-2019
    Tried a few of these. The Cotes de Provence Rosé is elite, the Pinot is top top level, as is the 7 quid Bouches du Rhône and the Don Tomas Malbec is too. Such good value.

Great article, will have to get a bottle of the Bouches du Rhône & Cotes du Provence Rose.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Great article, will have to get a bottle of the Bouches du Rhône & Cotes du Provence Rose.

The Bouches du Rhône is scandalous value at 7 quid.

Hedonism rose from O'Briens is one of my faves and the Aldi one is its equal. Award winner too.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/food/805864/aldi-wines-rose-worlds-most-prestigious-awards-supermarket

Have to pick up some of the Vinho Verde. Good price too.

Karwig Wines in Cork are closing down after 40 years in the business. I’ve picked up some great wines in their closing sale.

Kilian Hunn Grauburgunder (Pinot Gris or Pinot Grigio). Lovely textured body here, in contrast to the more typical lighter expressions. Nice balance of acidity and fruit. A really good wine

khgreau2_1774_detail-750x750.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

dudara wrote:
    Karwig Wines in Cork are closing down after 40 years in the business.

Really sorry to hear that, worked with Joe long time (25 years or so) when he brought his wines through Dublin. Great character and great independent company, bringing great wines in to country before the larger importers took over.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Have to pick up some of the Vinho Verde. Good price too.

Didn’t have this in the Aldi that I went to so I picked up the Ferrandière French Pinot Gris 2018. Lovely wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dudara wrote: »
    Karwig Wines in Cork are closing down after 40 years in the business. I’ve picked up some great wines in their closing sale.

I didn't know this until I read your post.
    So sad.
    I worked there briefly and will always think fondly of Joe and Betty. Sad to see Joe's passion just close up.

Anyway, I managed to get down there yesterday and picked up some great bargains and got to catch up with Betty.

Still plenty of stock left.

I’ve ordered a few cases off Jurgen at this stage. He drops them off whenever he’s around. The Georg Müller Blaufrankisch and Frauburgunder are great wines.

This is on sale in O'Briens. 17 quid down from 34. Get on it

13WSP007-Monte-Real-Gran-Reserva.png

• Advertisement

We went for lunch at Amuse on Dawson St as they were offering premium wagyu beef for a limited time. Sweet mother, it was insane beef, the best I’ve ever eaten.

Dessert was based on passion fruit, nectarine, coconut and white choclate, and the waiter offered us a chance to taste a new sweet wine they had just bought in, Anselmi I Capitelli. I think it’s available for retail for €27.80 in A Taste of Italy.

It had more than enough fruit and depth to stand up to the dessert with lots of pear, honey and apricot with a really nice length. 100% Garganega made in the Veneto region. It seems to be made in the apassimento style with botrytis also featuring.

anselmi-i-capitelli-igt-half-bottles-37-5cl-e12.jpg

Advertisement