Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Lights vs Smart Switches

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yes these work without wifi - which is why I like them.
    I'll have Google wifi dotted around the house which has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
    I'm not sure what I require exists at the moment :/

Hi,

I would check and see if they are 1 way or 2 way, i.e:-

1 WAY
    A) You send a command to turn them on or off, and the command is just sent with no acknowledgemnt of success/completion of the action
    B) You turn the light on/off manually, they do not update the hub that they are now on/off

2 WAY
    A) You send a command to turn them on/off, and the command is sent, actioned and the status of the light is updated to your system/hub
    B) You turn the light on/off manually and they update the light status to your system/hub.

With a mixture of different techs, such as your other devices, and these wifi, can you integrate them easily into a single hub.

And more of a long term thing, that might not be relevent, wifi evolves, so if/when your devices become legacy wifi, you will need to ensure a backwards compatible router is kept. Again, this is less of an issue I think, but worth keeping in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Current plan is that the Lyasi Light swicthes I linked will be installed in the majority of the rooms in the house. These are 1 or 2 gang 1 way.
    Its a pity I can't use them at the downstairs/upstairs hall. These definitely require a minimum of 1 gang 2 way.
    I wonder would a broadlink TC2 light switch do the job?
    I would probably just get all broadlink switches if this was the case and setup the rm pro hub.
    The main thing I want is that whatever switch I put in - it works manually at the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

If you have a neutral in your switches, which seems to be the case in my new enough house, which switches are the best options then?

I am planning on putting in the 15-18 euro tradfri lights that have ambience built into them, but Id like to have wall switches too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Hi,

Just an update on my own place, I put in Broadlink TC2 Smart Switches with a Broadlink RM Pro hub, and Broadlink alarm system (to control the motion/door sensors).

It is fantastic and reasonably cheap to get up and running - neutrals not required also.

I have Broadlink door sensors/motion sensors scattered throughout the house and they pretty much automate everything.

E.g: Arrive to the front of the house on a dark, wet, miserable evening, trying to put the key in the door quickly - Motion sensor outside turns on the front light automatically.

It takes a bit of setting up to get going, so you'd want a small bit of patience and tech know how, but it's highly worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

GE's new smart switches

C Smart by GE

Really liking these GE smart switches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

GE's new smart switches

C Smart by GE

Really liking these GE smart switches.

Finally some switches, looking forward to seeing the Schneider ones

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lordgoat wrote: »
    Finally some switches, looking forward to seeing the Schneider ones

I’d say you could be waiting for UK standard ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

My order of sonof touch smart switches arrived today. Will install them over the house this weekend and let you know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

ted1 wrote: »
    I’d say you could be waiting for UK standard ones.

Yeah, there are loads of hard wired smart switches available in the US for some time, but none offer a UK standard version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

My order of sonof touch smart switches arrived today. Will install them over the house this weekend and let you know how it goes!

Installed a few today but hit a snag with my Eir modem, which apparently struggles with multiple devices using 2.4g wifi. Will pick up a Google WiFi tomorrow and install the rest.

Have a two way switch controlling the landing light currently, so will have to think about the best solution for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Installed a few today but hit a snag with my Eir modem, which apparently struggles with multiple devices using 2.4g wifi. Will pick up a Google WiFi tomorrow and install the rest.

Have a two way switch controlling the landing light currently, so will have to think about the best solution for that.

Keep us posted. I'll prob change all switches once I see one that will look nice and do what I want!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just an update on my own place, I put in Broadlink TC2 Smart Switches with a Broadlink RM Pro hub, and Broadlink alarm system (to control the motion/door sensors).

It is fantastic and reasonably cheap to get up and running - neutrals not required also.

Did you replace your current switches or install new. Just looking at the depth of the units - do they fit a standard back box?

Advertisement