Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Upgrade - When can I unlock phone?

Options
  • 06-01-2018 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been due an upgrade on my current bill pay mobile phone for a while and I'm considering getting a new one to replace the one that is slowly giving up piece by piece :(

What I'm wondering though is if I upgrade and sign a new contract to stay on the same plan, will I be able to unlock the phone to any network straight away? I'm asking because I am planning some travelling to South America soon for a few months and it would be handy to have a phone which I could pop a local sim card into. If I could not then there would be no point in upgrading & committing to another contract and then also purchasing another sim free phone before I go for use over there.

Thanks,

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been due an upgrade on my current bill pay mobile phone for a while and I'm considering getting a new one to replace the one that is slowly giving up piece by piece :(

What I'm wondering though is if I upgrade and sign a new contract to stay on the same plan, will I be able to unlock the phone to any network straight away? I'm asking because I am planning some travelling to South America soon for a few months and it would be handy to have a phone which I could pop a local sim card into. If I could not then there would be no point in upgrading & committing to another contract and then also purchasing another sim free phone before I go for use over there.

Thanks,

A
    Hi Adamcp898, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

You would be tied into a new contract if you were to upgrade. The customer care team on 1901 will be able to advise on the unlocking query, I'm afraid we would be unable to advise from here. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement