Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need recommendations

Options
  • 06-01-2018 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there.
    I'm newly single and have never lived on my own before. I'm looking into getting some sort of home security system for peace of mind as I'm very nervous in the house on my own and I also work nighshifts so out of the house 3/4 nights a week.

I'm not very tech savvy (just about manage my iPhone) and don't know anything about alarms, cameras etc. I've looked online but there is so many options and I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Basically I want a system that will let me know if there's someone in the house when I'm not there (remote live video or text alert or similar) and also sound an alarm to deter. Also if there was a system that would alert me if there is someone outside my home while I am inside. I know I'm looking for a lot with this next bit but is there anything that would alert me when a car comes up my driveway. (I live up a long lane in a secluded area)

Im scared stupid at night on my own and really need peace of mind but I'm also on a tight budget. Are there any systems out there that are easy to install and operate that don't cost a fortune? Appreciate any help

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi
    Most of the standard alarm system is possible within a budget depending on the size and type of house and if the house is wired or not.
    I would recommend you get out 2-3 licenced installers to survey the property and give you a written system design proposal . This is a free service and is a legal requirement for any licenced company prior to any installation.
    They would also be able to discuss any questions or concerns you may have.
    If you are working to a budget you may want to avoid ongoing monthly or annual payments. Beware here some installers/manufacturers only offer self monitoring with monthly charges and subscriptions.
    There are plenty of free options using your own phone/broadband connections.
    As an installer Siemens Vanderbilt and GSD are our most popular systems for this.
    We are not commercially aligned to any of these we just find these popular with people who don't want to get tied into long term payments for the life of their alarm system.
    The external protection you are looking for would be a bit more complicated. This would definitely require a site survey to see what is possible.

Advertisement