Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm confused about RAM

Options
  • 06-01-2018 9:37pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So if I was buying this motherboard, what's the best 2X8GB set of RAM to get the most out of it? I am confused by timings and latency and all the rest that goes with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Are you going to overclock this and what will the processor be. There is a list of memory qvl which are the ones that are tested with board. Timing and cl or latency is lower is faster so keeping that in mind you can pick correct one. The 2933 mhz is the fastest memory but only good if you are overclocking. The memory will have to be good for overclocking. Normally you can get this info from the memory manufacture website and if its compatibility with your board. As i dont overclock i cannot recommend. So provide more info on your system for others to make a better assesment and maybe include what you use the computer for ie development gaming(what games) also graphic card details as much info you give the better the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

B-die Samsung module RAM is best. Which is usually CL14 3200MHz. Well that is the best of the best, you can get Samsung b-die with higher timings.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Apologies, shoulda provided that info, wasn't engaging the entire grey matter when posting :) Not planning on overclocking and am probably putting a 1600 chip on the board. The machine will be primarily used for gaming.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Apologies, shoulda provided that info, wasn't engaging the entire grey matter when posting :) Not planning on overclocking and am probably putting a 1600 chip on the board. The machine will be primarily used for gaming.

Oh right then you do not really need the best of the best. Are you in Ireland or UK and where are you planning on purchasing from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

It stands for Random Access Memory.

• Advertisement

I'm in Dublin, have previously bought my RAM for any project from the fine folks in www.memoryc.com who're out in Kildare, so the delivery usually only takes a day. I'm not tied top them though, I'm going to be getting a whole new pile of stuff including the board and cpu too, so if I can buy everything from one spot, then all the better.

Also: s8n :P

I'm in Dublin, have previously bought my RAM for any project from the fine folks in www.memoryc.com who're out in Kildare, so the delivery usually only takes a day. I'm not tied top them though, I'm going to be getting a whole new pile of stuff including the board and cpu too, so if I can buy everything from one spot, then all the better.

Also: s8n :P

You did see the list of supported RAM for that motherboard below:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Gaming%20K4/index.asp#Memory

If you are buying a few components then yes buying all from the same place is better as it saves on shipping. That above list of supported memory shows the tested speed also.

My problem is that it says that it supports some things with over clocking and I have no idea what that actually means. I have no interest in dicking about with things in bios in order to make it work, but I still want to make sure I have fast RAM with lower latency numbers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

My problem is that it says that it supports some things with over clocking and I have no idea what that actually means. I have no interest in dicking about with things in bios in order to make it work, but I still want to make sure I have fast RAM with lower latency numbers.

Are you referring to the use of XMP profiles? That allows for very simple overclocking of the RAM by simply selecting a profile in the BIOS without any other fiddling.

Advertisement