Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living alone, yay or nay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I've only recently discovered going to the cinema alone. Great job during the week. No one else around, the whole cinema to yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    If you're a male over 30 then people will think you're a nonce if you go to the cinema alone.

:(

That's the end of that so.

But seriously, I see no issue with anyone of any age doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Yep!.....my friends think its really weird I do it but I couldn't care less

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I've only recently discovered going to the cinema alone. Great job during the week. No one else around, the whole cinema to yourself :)

I got to see "inglorious Basterds" alone years ago on some Tuesday morning, only time Ive ever managed it and it was bliss!.....massive screen all to myself and no one talking, eating loudly or updating f***ing Facebook near me

Yes Im a cranky bastard :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Only if you're male?

You can also go to a coffee shop alone (sans laptop), a pub alone, a restaurant alone etc...sometimes servers in restaurants can be a bit taken aback when you request a table for one(only ever done it at lunch if I'm going for a late lunch at work or if travelling alone)
    Enjoying time alone so much, makes me really appreciate and enjoy the people I do spend time with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It has its advantages but i can find it pretty tough on occasion. Sometimes I feel I'm gonna break down and cry. Nowhere to go nothing to do with my time. I get lonely. So lonely, living on my own.

Bring a book, or a newspaper. :)
    What did people do pre-smartphones?

• Advertisement

No need to get snarky. :rolleyes:

It's funny, you'd think going to the cinema alone would be the norm. Pointless going there with soneone unless you're one of those pain in the arse fcuks that talks during the film.

Genuine question but why is that weird?......sometimes ill got to cafe on my own for no other reason than Im too lazy to cook for myself or because what they sell might be quite nice and I can't replicate it myself(like I did just yesterday in fact)

Im with you on the smart phone hating btw, its like anything, it can be overused but I wouldn't go back to pre-smartphone days for all the tay in China, we didn't live in some utopia then like sone would have you believe

I do wish people had the manners to turn the bloody things off in the cinema though

Not that anyone went all smart phone hating but ya know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Think the point was pretty clearly that books don't need a "good charge" to be brought to the pub.

• Advertisement

I eat out, go for a pint, go to the cinema etc by myself all the time, it's lovely. Nobody's looking at you thinking you're weird. They're all on their bloody phones for one thing :D

No that's never the reason people bring that up. Books are just considered higher brow by a huge number of people.

"I'd go to the pub by myself if I've a good charge on my phone"
    "Sure bring a book"

Think you're seeing something that's not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Kirby42 wrote: »
    And let you see the results only to exit out without voting yourself? I don't think so pal! Not on my watch!

That makes little, or no, sense.

• Advertisement

I don't know really, maybe it's not, but I couldn't do it. You'd know for a start that all the staff would be talking about the weirdo on his own. People always feel the need to make conversation too like you're some sort of weirdo magnet.
    I stop at rest stop petrol stations all the time for lunches because of my job but one day someone decided to join me and annoy me while I was trying to eat, so ever since then I bring it out and eat in the car. People should just leave you alone.

Man, seriously, nobody is looking at you or talking about you. I've worked in bars and cafés and very literally not once have I had or heard a conversation about "that weirdo on his own".

Id be absolutely astonished if any cafe/cinema staff members would care one bit about whether your alone to be honest, I'm sure they'd have better things to do, Id actually find that weirder than anything else if they cared in the slightest.....

Regardless it doesn't bother me, Its honestly never crossed my mind before that anyone else would even notice let alone care

I find people leave me alone the vast majority of the time too, I rarely get interrupted but then Ill have headphones on and Its very obvious I'm not looking for company so maybe people get that i dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Me I'd rather be alone than unhappy.

Bigger the better believe me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I'm living in a house share, but everyone is independent & has their own routines. It could be a few days before we see each other. I'm the only one that seems to use the TV too. Best of both worlds :d

I am introverted to a certain extent too & need my own me-time.

I have gone on foreign holidays on my own over the past few years. It is great to go where you want, when you want. The amount of people who say "Oh, I could never do that" is shocking. People need to much hand-holding these days.

Or maybe I am too independent.

I don't know really, maybe it's not, but I couldn't do it. You'd know for a start that all the staff would be talking about the weirdo on his own. People always feel the need to make conversation too like you're some sort of weirdo magnet.
    I stop at rest stop petrol stations all the time for lunches because of my job but one day someone decided to join me and annoy me while I was trying to eat, so ever since then I bring it out and eat in the car. People should just leave you alone.

I'm in a pub right now by myself. Just sitting here browsing on boards enjoying a nice pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

God I love going to pubs/cafes/restaurants on my own. Pure. Quiet. Bliss.

And if I actually want to chat to people I'll sit at the bar and get chatted to all the time.

Being alone while out isn't in the slightest bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hidden poll results. Why?

I've never lived alone. I've lived with housemates (well, one housemate) from hell before. But also lived with some great housemates too.

Living alone would be grand I'd say. Once you keep yourself occupied. It would probably make me go out more..

I have been living with my partner for the past 4 or so years and we get on great so it's grand. He could be a little better at cleaning and putting the toilet seat down.. but oh well.

• Advertisement

I’ve lived alone for 2 years after years of sharing with best friends. Have to say I loved living on my own. Was never lonely, very lucky to have lots of friends nearby, even just to meet up with someone for an hour. I just loved pottering round the house!
    I’m recently back home with my parents, saving the last hurdle with hope to buy my own place this summer. While I’m very very lucky to have both my parents around I am very much looking forward to going bk living alone again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Hidden poll results. Why?

Lord only knows!

Perhaps the OP will share the results, as it's a pain to manually correlate the various posts to get an idea.

Lord only knows!

Perhaps the OP will share the results, as it's a pain to manually correlate the various posts to get an idea.

Yeah it's an interesting topic would be interesting to see results. Along with that would be interesting to see whether the people who opted for either option felt they were more introverted / extroverted - though it's quite clear from reading posts that the introverts are more fond of living alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You're paranoid. There's nothing weird about eating alone, the staff, other customers, nobody's talking about you. That's in your head.

Eating in your car because you're worried someone will talk to you?

OK, that's weird.

They talked to you. That's normal human interaction.

The trauma.

• Advertisement

Not really for you in fairness. You need to face your monsters, learn to happily eat alone without feeling paranoid and traumatised when people talk to you.

No, you're right. If you're telling people to **** off and storming off with your lunch because they talked to you you're better off in the car. Hope you've leather seats!

Except chatting with them on forums of course.

Well, be careful not to spill any sauces or liquid on the cloth. They can be a bitch to clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Yes!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

alone if it wasn't for the squatter kid.
    thankfully we are nearly close to the teenage years and he'll want to see feck all of me then, and I can have the gaf all to myself again:cool:

alone if it wasn't for the squatter kid.
    thankfully we are nearly close to the teenage years and he'll want to see feck all of me then, and I can have the gaf all to myself again:cool:

He's on his laptop looking up old folks homes right now.

i'm with you on that one.
    I don't mind a bit of chit chat, but if I was eating and someone came and sat beside me, I wouldn't be impressed at all:confused:

John_Rambo wrote: »
    He's on his laptop looking up old folks homes right now.

he wouldn't even be that kind to me. he'll feck off and leave me to rot on my own:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

If only...

• Advertisement
Advertisement