Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess Hughes out of a job?????

• 06-01-2018 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭

Mark Hughes sacked by Stoke City,no great surprise, but he probably be favourite to go back in charge of Wales

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

West Brom in a few weeks when Pardew gets the bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Awaits for pundits to tell us he was "Unlucky". Seems to be "Unlucky" at every job he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

He's hard to like, I just can't warm to the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Growing up Mark Hughes was my boyhood hero , I've got his name on my united shirts and welsh as I'm Welsh .

As a manager I find him frustrating , seems to be constantly complaining , gets on my nerves to be honest .

Not sure I want him back at Wales either . Certainly do not want giggs either , another boy hood hero who I have grown to detest over time from his off the field antics , and commitment to be available for Welsh games.

Still tho on another note I love how Mark Hughes played for Wales in Prague in 1987 and was then flown back to Munich to help Bayern beat Borussia in same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think he did a decent enough job, three 9th place finishes in his time. That said he probably should have been sacked a few months ago, they have been absolutely awful this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Johner wrote: »
    I think he did a decent enough job, three 9th place finishes in his time. That said he probably should have been sacked a few months ago, they have been absolutely awful this season.

I agree - most years he has been able to strenghten the team - this year they looked worse coming in - with no real net spend and selling Arnautovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think the FAW should offer him a job. He has more experience than the last time he was there and it would be a way for him to keep a strong profile. He had a bad season but his previous finishes were respectable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

MON is early favourite to replace him per Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Surely before you sack a guy you have to have a better replacement ready or at least have been talking to one.

I can't think of any realistic option for Stoke which would be an improvement over Hughes so its a bad decision to sack him.

They are in the relegation zone but are only six points off outright tenth place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Just goes to show how you’re only as good as your current season in the Premier League. Overall he did a good job there but they’re awful this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I wonder how high Stoke could realistically expect to finish in the league. I'm fully on board that Hughes deserved the chop, but would a new manager be able to reverse this now long term slump? Their most technically gifted players rarely do it for more than a game at a time (Shaqiri, Jese) and they're somewhat reliant on a near 37 year old Peter Crouch in order to provide the rest of their attack with enough service. Berahino's issues in front of goal are chronic and don't look to be improving any time soon. Their only saving grace is that there is so much shít down the bottom of the league that they may well survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd probably be of the opinion that they would have been better off backing him with a proper number 9 type in the January window than sacking him. He has done well there quite often so he could possibly have found their way back to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hughes is an underrated manager and did well overall at Stoke.

Three 9th placed finishes in a row, then 13th. In addition to that, he inherited a Tony Pulis squad which is built to suit a very specific style and improved the football and league positions at the same time, while spending little money in the early seasons.

Interestingly, the trend of Hughes doing better when he spends little money has continued. In his first 2 seasons they spent less than £6m, yet he finished 9th both times. They loosened the purse strings in season 3 where he spent £39m and finished 9th again, but a £31m spent in season 4 and a £25m spend this season. It’s still relative pennies compared to what some are spending I know but a lot of his bigger money signings have flopped and I think he’s much more effective operating off a smaller budget.

I don’t blame Stoke for making a change given their current situation but Jesus, the current crop of available candidates makes depressing reading.

I’d imagine Chris Coleman is sick that he took the Sunderland job. I’m not saying he would have got this one but given how his reputation was as high as it’s ever going to be and the lack of managers available, you’d have to think he’d have had a decent shot at landing this, Swansea or West Brom in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Paully D wrote: »
    Hughes is an underrated manager and did well overall at Stoke.

Three 9th placed finishes in a row, then 13th. In addition to that, he inherited a Tony Pulis squad which is built to suit a very specific style and improved the football and league positions at the same time, while spending little money in the early seasons.

Interestingly, the trend of Hughes doing better when he spends little money has continued. In his first 2 seasons they spent less than £6m, yet he finished 9th both times. They loosened the purse strings in season 3 where he spent £39m and finished 9th again, but a £31m spent in season 4 and a £25m spend this season. It’s still relative pennies compared to what some are spending I know but a lot of his bigger money signings have flopped and I think he’s much more effective operating off a smaller budget.

I don’t blame Stoke for making a change given their current situation but Jesus, the current crop of available candidates makes depressing reading.

I’d imagine Chris Coleman is sick that he took the Sunderland job. I’m not saying he would have got this one but given how his reputation was as high as it’s ever going to be and the lack of managers available, you’d have to think he’d have had a decent shot at landing this, Swansea or West Brom in recent times.

Great post. I was expecting a load of **** in this thread about how Hughes is a failed manager and stuff but a lot of the posts have been spot on. He did a very good job but the last few months particularly have been poor. Doesn’t make him a bad manager at all and I’m sure he will get another job.

Not sure who Stoke will get now. Have a Stoke supporting mate and he really wants O’Neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Not sure I want him back at Wales either . Certainly do not want giggs either , another boy hood hero who I have grown to detest over time from his off the field antics , and commitment to be available for Welsh games.

Would Giggs show up for friendlies if he took that job? Certainly didn't consider it worthwhile when he played for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think i'd be in general agreement with most on this thread. I think he did a good (maybe even slightly underrated) job at Stoke, but he really couldn't continue there, i think it's the right decision. Most of the players don't seem bothered.

As to who comes in is the big question because the candidates in terms of bookies favourites don't look all that enticing. I mean, Bilic is there and really what is he going to do at Stoke that is all that different from what he got the boot for at West Ham?

I wonder will they completely go left field and try something like what Southampton did by bringing in someone like Pottechino from Europe or maybe an up and coming manager from the Championship?

Would Michael O' Neill be a good shout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

monkey9 wrote: »
    Would Michael O' Neill be a good shout?

He’d be utterly horrific and would get eaten alive in the Premier League IMO.

The only winners from that appointment would be publicans in Stoke.

Advertisement