Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable multitools like Leatherman, Cybertool etc

Options
  • 06-01-2018 11:32pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For many years I've been in the habit of carrying a Victorinox Cybertool M about my person (mostly for work, but often as not I forget to take it out of my pocket the rest of the time) because, in a variety of jobs that have had a significant element of hardware support in them, it's much handier than having to constantly head back to my desk and grab whatever bits I needed.

The one I've got is getting on a bit, and I have no qualms about getting a replacement. But in the current workplace I've had a couple of odd remarks from people who see it and (understandably) think I'm just a weirdo in IT carrying around a Swiss Army knife.

So - does anyone know of anything along similar lines that doesn't have a knife or other blade attached? I've looked at the alternative SwissTool range, but they all seem to have blades.

I've been thinking about going for one of the Leatherman tools for a while, because their pliers are much better than the ones in the Cybertools (purely a function of size) but none of them have blade-free options that I can find. I did discover that Leatherman have a couple of blade-free options, but they're more general multitools and would require buying the universal bit driver as an additional accessory (with the attendant extra bulk, which I'd like to avoid). On top of which, both of those still have serrated sawblades, which I neither need nor want.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I age a fuse, and knife less version also. (Along with about 10 other versions) I think they obsoleted the knifeless version, but you would pick one up somewhere I'd say.

Personally I feel wearing them in a belt loop etc is the definition of 'it survivalist' look, which may draw comment, clipped on inside of pocket or elsewhere unseen they are invisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Fysh wrote: »
    For many years I've been in the habit of carrying a Victorinox Cybertool M about my person (mostly for work, but often as not I forget to take it out of my pocket the rest of the time) because, in a variety of jobs that have had a significant element of hardware support in them, it's much handier than having to constantly head back to my desk and grab whatever bits I needed.

The one I've got is getting on a bit, and I have no qualms about getting a replacement. But in the current workplace I've had a couple of odd remarks from people who see it and (understandably) think I'm just a weirdo in IT carrying around a Swiss Army knife.

So - does anyone know of anything along similar lines that doesn't have a knife or other blade attached? I've looked at the alternative SwissTool range, but they all seem to have blades.

I've been thinking about going for one of the Leatherman tools for a while, because their pliers are much better than the ones in the Cybertools (purely a function of size) but none of them have blade-free options that I can find. I did discover that Leatherman have a couple of blade-free options, but they're more general multitools and would require buying the universal bit driver as an additional accessory (with the attendant extra bulk, which I'd like to avoid). On top of which, both of those still have serrated sawblades, which I neither need nor want.

If that is the only reason for looking for something different then you might have a re-think.
    If the tool suits your work then replace it with a newer one and forget about what others think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It wouldn't be too hard to cut off a blade and grind smooth the stump, if you want to be blade-free

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Are they a bit expensive --not worth the money:?, bit like 'Snickers' work-ware all the posers have to have them but never get them dirty.

Advertisement