Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do advert users get multiple iPhones for sale on adverts and donedeal

Options
  • 07-01-2018 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all, can anyone shed light on this?
    I don't understand where these people get tens and twenties of these new iPhones that they can sell for far less than the shops are charging for them. It just seem non legit
    Thanks
    Jason

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

It’s something that has intrigued me. Probably something very simple that they are bought in countries that exchange rate is more favorable & then sold here.

But that is me just guessing. I have bought off shops like the pic in town before, as price is generally competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That advert is from a shop so it's charging what a shop would charge for them sim free. The price is advertised right.
    It's €100 cheaper buy an iPhone 7 locked to a network at the moment so starts at €599 as opposed the the advert for €699
    It's all legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

With computers a lot of them seem to cancelled orders from companies that close down. Maybe there a bulk discount for companies. Might even be from another country.

Dunno I'm curious myself. Maybe they just buy people's unwanted upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I know of situations where someone had been living abroad for a number of years, ie Australia, and when they decide to pack up for good and return to ireland, they go out that week, and sign up to a new phone contact with every mobile network.

Then , the next week, they close all their bank accounts and come home.

( similar thing happens with bank loans etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭skytop

My friend at work thinks they are buying them from China at very discounted prices , they are not made buy apple but rather made by people who source the parts from the apple manufacturing companies , so he reckons there fake but made with apple parts 🀀🀀

• Advertisement

skytop wrote: »
    My friend at work thinks they are buying them from China at very discounted prices , they are not made buy apple but rather made by people who source the parts from the apple manufacturing companies , so he reckons there fake but made with apple parts ����

There not well maybe some dodgy stores but at the price you linked to for a sim free iPhone 7 the price is correct that's the retailer making a profit and buying from an approved apple distributor with full EU warranty within the EU.
    The boxes in the picture look dodgy but the genuine article can be had for the same price in the right shop.

There not well maybe some dodgy stores but at the price you linked to for a sim free iPhone 7 the price is correct that's the retailer making a profit and buying from an approved apple distributor with full EU warranty within the EU.
    The boxes in the picture look dodgy but the genuine article can be had for the same price in the right shop.

There is a guy selling sealed iPhone 8 for 689 I think there 829 off the apple website
    Something seems fishy about it all

There is a guy selling sealed iPhone 8 for 689 I think there 829 off the apple website
    Something seemed fishy about it all

Seams

Something seems fishy about it all

That's not doable price wise, it's dodgy or he's dodgy. If he can buy them vat free somewhere and has no intention of paying vat it could be a genuine phone highly unlikely though as he's still charging to little for the effort. Alarm bells there for sure, been a good few phone store robberies around the county the last few weeks, you could be buying yourself a visit from the Garda the minute your SIM goes in it.

An 8 should cost about what apple are charging from any reputable store. If it's over €100 cheaper there's something your not seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Anybody purchasing these will get a receipt. But not a VAT receipt. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Purchased two similar iPhones from adverts and on both occasions the seller was a Chinese national..while the phones weren’t overly cheap they were about €100 Euro cheaper than a similar shop bought sim free phone.
    Both worked perfectly.
    So I presume they are getting them in from China somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Just be careful, couple of people over on the Android forum have bought S8’s off these guys. The phones have been blacklisted in the UK the following day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Another possibility is the Insurance Companies who sell job lots of damaged or recovered phones to recoup some of their losses.
    They often try to get the packaging etc returned to them before paying out.

Oxter wrote: »
    Another possibility is the Insurance Companies who sell job lots of damaged or recovered phones to recoup some of their losses.
    They often try to get the packaging etc returned to them before paying out.
    These are not insurance 'job lot' phones. They are OEM, sealed and new. The VAT is the key here. No doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

dodzy wrote: »
    These are not insurance 'job lot' phones. They are OEM, sealed and new. The VAT is the key here. No doubt.

If VAT is the key then Revenue’s Investigatiion Unit will no doubt make enquiries.

Most people could not spot the difference between sealed and expertly re-sealed phones. Ripoff parts are common, why not packaging?

Oxter wrote: »
    If VAT is the key then Revenue’s Investigatiion Unit will no doubt make enquiries.

Most people could not spot the difference between sealed and expertly re-sealed phones. Ripoff parts are common, why not packaging?

You made reference to damaged / recovered phones and the bulk of people not being able to cop the difference. I think you are underestimating people. I’ve bought many of these units. Believe me, they are not repaired, repackaged or resealed.
    My friend at work thinks they are buying them from China at very discounted prices , they are not made buy apple but rather made by people who source the parts from the apple manufacturing companies , so he reckons there fake but made with apple parts 🀀🀀
    That’s BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Just because something comes sealed in a box doesn’t mean it’s new. You can put your house on it, these phones are either refurbs or excellent clones, and while they won’t fool many of the forums members here, Joe Public is being taken for a ride.

https://youtu.be/dM_e5MKp-OM

https://youtu.be/KUAOYFT-7Ss

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

My guess is there goophones from dhgate. Looks the part, Apple logo, sealed box but they run on android. Lots of fakes for sale in Australia also.

naasrd wrote: »
    Just because something comes sealed in a box doesn’t mean it’s new. You can put your house on it, these phones are either refurbs or excellent clones, and while they won’t fool many of the forums members here, Joe Public is being taken for a ride.

https://youtu.be/dM_e5MKp-OM

https://youtu.be/KUAOYFT-7Ss

Sorry Nassrd, Any I've bought are OEM. 100%. Not clones, and not refurbs. Just look at the feedback some of them sellers get on Adverts. 100% positive with hundreds of reviews.

Eitherway, a clone could not possibly activate through the Apple server.
    rightyabe wrote: »
    My guess is there goophones from dhgate. Looks the part, Apple logo, sealed box but they run on android. Lots of fakes for sale in Australia also.
    More BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

The iphone 8 sells sim free for $700 dollars in the US which is aprox €585. Someone could quite easily (not tax legally) sell one for €689 (€100 profit)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

I bought a 6s in December from one of the Asian sellers on adverts/ Parnell st. Sealed and Apple 1 year warranty. Phone looks and works great and battery health is excellent. Saved about 150. No complaints.

These sellers are shifting a lot of handsets on a daily basis, 7 days per week. Anything near €100 on every handset sold would amount to a serious amount of money on a weekly basis. Again, not condoning the practice if they are not VAT compliant (which realistically has to be the case), but at the end of the day if I'm not doing anything illegal, I'll continue to purchase from them and have no hesitation in referring others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GadgetRecycle

If locked to a network more than likely an unwanted upgrade which can often be sold to companies like ourselves for way below cost price and resold to local retailers.

If sim free I’d find these usually come from places like HK where these can be picked up for around €200 less than in Apple Stores here.

Advertisement