Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

more azores high ridging from mid next week on the gfs 06z,before slipping to our east bringing in the warmth of the continent,to the west;)

airpressure.png

airpressure.png

yes,i like my 6am temperatures in the high teens,low twenties at a minimum
    so i can eat my cornflakes outside.

ukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Who's "we"? 'Cause I'm most certainly not part of that.
    I can't speak for anyone else but like Steve F I'm definitely in the glass half empty camp! :( We are seeing a new trend after the long fine spell and we all know that our climate can get stuck in a rut once a pattern starts.
    I posted here a few weeks ago that I'm always suspicious of summers that are early starters and my opinion hasn't changed but I would love to be 100% wrong!

fax72s.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I can't speak for anyone else but like Steve F I'm definitely in the glass half empty camp! :( We are seeing a new trend after the long fine spell and we all know that our climate can get stuck in a rut once a pattern starts.
    I posted here a few weeks ago that I'm always suspicious of summers that are early starters and my opinion hasn't changed but I would love to be 100% wrong!

Yeah a new trend of the Azores pumping up high pressure for us..... see the latest model runs. Well at this stage, I wouldn't call anything a trend because the models chop and change on the details, that's just what they're showing this morning.

I'm well aware that you are in that camp, I'm not. I personally think it's insensible and ridiculous to call off Summer just like that. Every year is unique. Just because it happened in 2007 doesn't mean it will now. Just because it happened in 2017 doesn't mean it will now etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I think people forget just how close Ireland is to the Arctic circle. If it is summer warmth and dry weather you are looking for, we don't do too bad at all for our location. Westerly weather in summer is often very pleasant over the eastern half of Ireland, as it would less frequently (relatively speaking) be in the west.

I'm not sorry the recent hot spell is over. It was uncomfortable, abnormal, unpleasantly and uncommonly humid and lasted way too long. It is a spell that would be considered extraordinary in July or early August, not mind for late May/early June. If anything, it felt hotter than at anytime in July 2013, when temps reached way higher. While its climax did result some big showers for some, many others missed out, which is just typical of this country.

New Moon

[IMG][/img]

I thought you were looking for some rain Elmer?

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

How can you describe that spell as unpleasant

Ive never seen people round here so happy

Now they are all down again

Hopefully the azores pump will inflate again

Im a glass half full this Summer

The Atlantic is fairly quiet so even if it rains it will be for a day and clear to more mainly dry weather with cool light showers each day the worst scenario.

I dont feel this will happen. Theres more good weather to come ....even in June!

pauldry wrote: »
    How can you describe that spell as unpleasant
    !
    Because I can.

I'm not seeing any difference in people's overall mood? This seems like a very subjective interpretation to be honest; but even if not, if people's state of mind is that dependant on sunshine, then I find that quite scary.

New Moon

Thursday still looking like a very lively day.

cJJwgA4.gif

7N2LwlW.png

PkVOl6H.png

Thursday still looking like a very lively day.
    So what? Why are you telling people that clearly hate this sort of weather? Are you trying to make them more depressed?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

If it wasn't for the upkeep of my gardens, I'd prefer it to stay dry, warm and sunny.

Hayfever has been getting steadily worse in the past week or so which means that this rain will be very welcome to bring down pollen levels somewhat. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that camp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

" if people's state of mind is that dependant on sunshine, then I find that quite scary."

For a lot of people their state of mind IS dependant on sunshine

Vitiman D from the sun is known to improve ones mood

Also SAD if caused by lack of sun

Sometimes I wonder do I suffer from this :p

pauldry wrote: »
    " if people's state of mind is that dependant on sunshine, then I find that quite scary."

For a lot of people their state of mind IS dependant on sunshine

Vitiman D from the sun is known to improve ones mood

Also SAD if caused by lack of sun

Sometimes I wonder do I suffer from this :p

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/man-dies-from-suspected-sunstroke-in-cork-city-1.3526466

Also: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/hot-climates-may-be-linked-to-violent-behavior-researchers-suggest/59161373

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Yeah a new trend of the Azores pumping up high pressure for us..... see the latest model runs. Well at this stage, I wouldn't call anything a trend because the models chop and change on the details, that's just what they're showing this morning.

I'm well aware that you are in that camp, I'm not. I personally think it's insensible and ridiculous to call off Summer just like that. Every year is unique. Just because it happened in 2007 doesn't mean it will now. Just because it happened in 2017 doesn't mean it will now etc.

Ahh now...we are just Joshing with you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

this countrys climate is in a word diplorable on average,particularly our summers,its negative effect on our lifestyles is significant.

every irish person should be forced into the sun for 3 weeks for a dose of vitamin D and some seratonin release.

we have a beautiful country but its predominently,cold,dreary,overcast,damp and wet.

The amount of spainish people iv known whove come to live here for any length of time get so depressed with the weather.
    Everybody jailed inside with pasty faces.
    we just dont know were living here sometimes in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's funny to see people complaining after the end of a nearly month long spell of nice weather (nearly 3 weeks of which were a veritable heatwave) when we've had seemingly 3 or 4 years of constantly rubbish summers. This was a great month, savour it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Agree with MJohnston. The weather will do what the weather wants to do and we can’t control that and we can’t physically move the country further south or closest to the continent and what not. Next to the biggest ocean and far north we are a changeable climate.

I’m sad about the weather becoming worse but gotta live with it no point in bickering over something that we can’t control :) hoping it will come back after the spell though but who knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah but grace, when the cats wont go out cos its to wet and cold or the windows and house are shaking cos its to windy, you'll want the nice calm warm and sunny weather back, you know you will ;)

N; I take what comes... As do the cats and if they want to stay in, fine. They are litter trained..

It has been good, but not permanently. I am a grower and we need rain and cooler days.

My main pleasure has been in so many here revelling in it!

Just take what comes. This is Ireland. The weather is not all there is to life!

this countrys climate is in a word diplorable on average,particularly our summers,its negative effect on our lifestyles is significant.

every irish person should be forced into the sun for 3 weeks for a dose of vitamin D and some seratonin release.

we have a beautiful country but its predominently,cold,dreary,overcast,damp and wet.

The amount of spainish people iv known whove come to live here for any length of time get so depressed with the weather.
    Everybody jailed inside with pasty faces.
    we just dont know were living here sometimes in ireland.

Balderdash! Bunkum!

Only all this if you allow and foster it.. Ireland has a grand climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Overcast today with sunny breaks in Enniscorthy, temperature at 20c.
    It's gas watching people going around wearing fleeces etc. I met one lad in a puffa jacket walking while others like myself were in shorts and t shirts.
    A bit of cloud doesn't mean it's cold. ;)

Translation "You will comply"

What 'lifestyles' are you on about that are affected in a drastic, negative way? Fair enough if you want to live a lifestyle that would be better suited for in Mediterranean country, which clearly, Ireland isn't.

Isn't it true that the Irish are - supposedly - amongst the happiest people on the planet? (well, at least according the media a couple of years back)

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    So what? Why are you telling people that clearly hate this sort of weather? Are you trying to make them more depressed?

No. I post here to tell the outlook, discuss the past etc and Thursday being a lively day is in the outlook.......

Overcast today with sunny breaks in Enniscorthy, temperature at 20c.
    It's gas watching people going around wearing fleeces etc. I met one lad in a puffa jacket walking while others like myself were in shorts and t shirts.
    A bit of cloud doesn't mean it's cold. ;)

Same here, not cold at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Same here, not cold at all.

So long as the Atlantic influence this week is temporary. I'm watching the FI thread like a hawk and convincing myself the charts showing high pressure and warm, sunny weather are going to come to fruition later in the month and in July. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Not too bad in Dublin. Mostly cloudy but some sunny breaks, the sun is out at the moment. Not cold at all, but I wouldn't use the word warm either.

It is lovely out. Some sun but not oppressive and a pleasant breeze rumpling the ocean

I lived years before coming to Ireland,many years, on a small island off the top end of Scotland as in next stop North Pole...Midnight sun in summer; 4 hours "daylight "in winter and rain and gales lasting 3-4 days.

Ireland is mild and easy by comparison.
    Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Translation "You will comply"

What 'lifestyles' are you on about that are affected in a drastic, negative way? Fair enough if you want to live a lifestyle that would be better suited for in Mediterranean country, which clearly, Ireland isn't.

Isn't it true that the Irish are - supposedly - amongst the happiest people on the planet? (well, at least according the media a couple of years back)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It has been mostly cloudy today, a bit depressing after the recent sunny days. It's 17.5C now. The high today was 19.9C, the second time this month that it failed to reach 20 by 0.1 of a degree.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Not cold at all, but I wouldn't use the word warm either.

Would 'just right' be a fair description?

New Moon

Lovely cloudy sky..layer upon layer of rich heavy cloud, horizon to horizon in every direction. No tall buildings here and no big trees, so the sky is wide and almost all we see.. West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Back to clouds again in Dublin 5. 15 days since the last rainfall here, there were a few raindrops on the cars this morning but that doesn't count.

Advertisement