Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I wonder what the sirens are for in the second video? That sound would scare the bejaysus out of you! :eek:

Civil defense siren:
    http://www.vienna-expats.at/civil-defence-siren-system/

In this case I'm guessing it's because of severe flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My husband is to do a triathlon in Sligo on Saturday. Including sea swim - his first sea swim. He's confident but I'm getting nervous seeing wind warnings. Should be blown over by Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Whispered wrote: »
    My husband is to do a triathlon in Sligo on Saturday. Including sea swim - his first sea swim. He's confident but I'm getting nervous seeing wind warnings. Should be blown over by Saturday?

met.ie for Saturday..

Weekend: Changeable. A few light showers on Saturday, but most places dry, with sunny spells at times. Highs of 16 to 18 C., in light variable or northerly breezes. Some rain expected in off the Atlantic sometime on Sunday.

Should be fine.. Hope so..;)

Date of that, please? Cannot match it online..

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Whispered wrote: »

If it is not safe the swim will be cancelled or shortened. Don't worry! Safest time to swim is when there's loads of kayaks and boats for safety.

• Advertisement

If it is not safe the swim will be cancelled or shortened. Don't worry! Safest time to swim is when there's loads of kayaks and boats for safety.

Also sea swimming is easier than freshwater..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not a bad evening in North Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Today was really pleasant and balmy in Limerick even with no sun. Around 18 c and to be honest, if it never went much over 18 c I'd be happy enough with that. It felt warmer I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Quiet day here, cloudy, no breeze, mild

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

see met eireann weather for Sunday

"some rain sometime on Sunday"

Cmonnn you can do better than that

some rain possible towards evening on Sunday for example

Next theyl try "some sun sometime on Monday"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Today for me had the perfect temp profile. Reached 17c and felt good. Went on a cycle out the country this evening in just a short sleeved shirt (I don't do, and refuse to be seen dead in bike regalia) and have to say, though heavily cloudy, it was no less of a beautiful evening than it would be in evening sunshine. If anything, it added a nice atmosphere and mellowness that was easily felt, but can't quite be explained, except though the word 'perfect'.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pauldry wrote: »
    see met eireann weather for Sunday

"some rain sometime on Sunday"

Cmonnn you can do better than that

some rain possible towards evening on Sunday for example

Next theyl try "some sun sometime on Monday"

Would you rather them say "rain at 5pm Sunday" and then it occur at 10am? If they had a better indication of when, I'm sure they'd mention it!

Wind music and rain patter,... lovely sounds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

After a clear night today is overcast, cool and breezy and the rain is not far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The trend continues on the gfs,last week of june could be very nice.

airpressure.png
    airpressure.png
    airpressure.png
    airpressure.png
    ukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hello, I've had a very bad previous few days but behind the scenes, I've been up to some stats for the warm spell that we've just had.

First, here's the final absolute maximum temperatures map for all Irish synoptic stations during the period May 23 to June 10 2018.

AjpX8Mq.png

Here's a table of the daily sunshine totals (hours) from May 22 to June 12 2018 at 6 Irish stations which record sunshine.

Dublin Airport had 191.3 hours of sun during this period with an average of 8.7 hours of sun per day! The period was 22 days long and 191.3 hours of sun is a bit more than what a whole May average sunshine is at the station. The last sunny period that I can find comparable to this is July 2013 which had 197.2 hours of sun at the station from the 4th-25th July whilst 1st-11th (though only 11 days long) May 2017 had 145.5 hours of sunshine at Belmullet, around 3/4 of its whole monthly May average sunshine.

mnlQmWi.png

Notable events:

- 26.3c at Shannon Airport on May 29th is the highest May temperature in Ireland since 2012. The same station recorded a maximum of 26.1c on June 7th. The minimum at Shannon Airport on June 6th was 15.3c.
    - Over 25mm of rainfall fell at Mt. Dillon within an hour on June 8th under a thunderstorm with a 9 degree drop in temperature from 25 to 16c. To put this into perspective, the highest hourly rainfall in Ireland was 52.2mm at Clonroche, Co. Wexford on 27th June 1986 which was also a thunderstorm.
    - Constant lightning during the night of the 26th/27th May with thundery showers resulting in 18.6mm at Cork Airport on the 27th. Up to 9mm fell at the station in the hour 02:00 to 03:00.

All data comes from Met Éireann.

As in the outlook for the second half of June, there continues to be uncertainty and wobbles from the model runs. They have been constantly showing the Azores High ridging up to us but in the shorter FI (next week), the air is coming off of the Atlantic on the runs. At this time of year (in contrast to Winter), when you get air from this direction, it tends to bring in a lot of cloud and damp weather - not wet though. Summer 1981 was infamous for such a pattern as it was a dry, cool and very dull season. I wouldn't take this solution as concrete though because of the unreliability of the models at the moment. There have been some runs showing a northeast extension of the Azores High than it being a transient ridge but there have been more runs showing the transient ridge than the former which means the jet stream is very close by to our shores to the north. The NAO is set to go very positive for a bit according to the GFS ensembles showing that the Azores High is going to strengthen and it won't take much of an adjustment then for this to go in favour for some more warmth.

The UK Met Office 30 day outlook is not terribly optimistic of a warm to hot spell weather for the rest of June. They say that it is most likely to stay changeable.
    UK Outlook for Monday 18 Jun 2018 to Wednesday 27 Jun 2018:
    Cloudier skies and perhaps some light rain are expected in the north and west on Monday, whilst many other areas will be fine and dry. It will be windy in the northwest and temperatures will be near normal here, but further south and eastwards it will become warm, or very warm for some. The changeable conditions will continue, with most places seeing sunny spells interspersed with cloudier skies and scattered showers. There will possibly be some longer spells of rain in the northwest too, where it will be windy at times. Through the period temperatures will average out near normal, however, there is then a chance that drier and warmer conditions could develop towards the end of June, particularly in the south.

Some longer range models though remain optimistic for a warm and dry July - whilst others are going completely down hill just revealing the uncertainty here. I think there is a lot to play for. It's a case of will the Azores High be strong enough or will we be stuck in this rut now that the pattern has become familiar again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

There's so much pollen floating around today.

It's an ok day in Dublin, a bit windy earlier and overcast all day with a few drops of rain. Mild enough. This is ignoring the pollen.

Grand day here, cloudy with sunny breaks at times, very breezy now, feels fairly mild and no rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not a nice day here at all. Breezy spitting rain very dull cool. Kinda typical Irish weather unfortunately.

Full on wind and rain out here West Mayo offshore island.

How unusual is this for this time of year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I've just noticed some very light rain falling now - enough to just about wet the ground, and I could hear a bit on the roof. It's 17.0C now. The high was 18.3C. There's not very much wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lashing rain in North Mayo

Rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Soft day here in Galway 15℃IMAG3378_zpsxsvm5frr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Got absolutely soaked in Galway between car and restaurant
    Ended up turning around and going home
    14 degrees
    Lashing rain
    Games to come overnight
    In June

Heaven ...........as i said at the start of June last year when people were wishing away the good weather BE CAREFUL WHAT YE WISH FOR

I mean would anyone REALLY be that suprised if the rest of the summer was dull and dreary ???????

Bad weather = me in bad mood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The rain got a little heavier and there's 0.2mm recorded now; it's finished now. It's also got a bit windier. It's 15.5C now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Terrible night out dark and miserable like km I find it hard to understand how people wish away what we had last week but I suppose different strokes for different folks.

Rain :(

Only Rained for 10mins :)

Dry very cloudy and breezy since

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Terrible night out dark and miserable like km I find it hard to understand how people wish away what we had last week but I suppose different strokes for different folks.
    Curtains drawn
    Lights on

I don’t mind this in October but it’s june
    Depressing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Winds are getting a bit livelier here now rain has been patchy enough so far. Think the worst of the winds will be arriving after 10pm.

South sligo.

Advertisement