Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Havent had a days rain like that in a while. Thats the summer fecked now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's absolutely shocking out there.
    Depends on your perspective I suppose
    Some love this kind of winter weather in summer
    I prefer summer weather ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

km79 wrote: »
    Depends on your perspective I suppose
    Some love this kind of winter weather in summer
    I prefer summer weather ;)

Some people really do prefer 13c and heavy rain for summer. I see some people from the UK whining because of the possible heatwave. One particular person said he thinks 12c is warm, 18c is very warm and I think he said 22c+ is uncomfortably warm :D . Personally, I can tolerate heat by daytime but not at night when I'm trying to sleep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Just some light patchy rain in my location in west Cork although it is very mild and windy. No significant rainfall here since the massive thundery downpour nearly a month ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This question is still to be answered. So is this the year the curse of the number "8" for Summer is broken?

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    This question is still to be answered. So is this the year the curse of the number "8" for Summer is broken?

It's the year that broke the streak of poor winters here in the east so I don't see why it wouldn't break the curse of the number 8 for summer!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Its only June. It could rain all July and August and we all will have forgotten about the lovely June.

alentejo wrote: »
    Its only June. It could rain all July and August and we all will have forgotten about the lovely June.

Fair point but that doesn't apply to everyone. For example, I prefer Winter 2015-16 over any winter from 2011-12 to 2016-17 simply because I had lying snow on the morning of the 4th March 2016... which wasn't even in winter! It only lasted for a few hours but that alone made it better than any of the other winters up to then (post 2010 obviously). It was only a dusting but I won't forget it any time soon after the run of dire winters up to then. 2017-18 takes that spot now.

alentejo wrote: »

Well no model output is expecting an unsettled July, in fact a very anticyclonic month again like June.

August is a bit more mixed and uncertain.
    Artane2002 wrote: »
    Fair point but that doesn't apply to everyone. For example, I prefer Winter 2015-16 over any winter from 2011-12 to 2016-17 simply because I had lying snow on the morning of the 4th March 2016... which wasn't even in winter! It only lasted for a few hours but that alone made it better than any of the other winters up to then (post 2010 obviously). It was only a dusting but I won't forget it any time soon after the run of dire winters up to then. 2017-18 takes that spot now.

• Advertisement

Well no model output is expecting an unsettled July, in fact a very anticyclonic month again like June.

August is a bit more mixed and uncertain.

I forgot to mention, I had a snowball fight with my friends that morning. That was my first snowball fight since December 2010.

Funny how we're talking about snow and cold now when a heatwave is upcoming. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Very weird day here in Dublin. It was actually chilly this morning only 11 degrees first time in about a month. But then by late afternoon it was really humid + warm even though there was a very strong breeze. Very weird.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

quite windy here still and 18C at midnight, certainly the warmest night of the year so far. However some rain and much cooler air not that far away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Rain has finally stopped in Castlebar, ended up with 35.6mm in 12 hours, 16.2C outside currently, twice as warm as this time last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Bizarrely enough (if I'm not mistaken) today ended up being comfortably the hottest day of the year in the east, despite being a cool, grey and windy day for the most part.

Certainly an interesting day synoptically with a complete washout across the west and NW and the sudden arrival of the warm humid air in the south and east.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Xenji wrote: »
    Rain has finally stopped in Castlebar, ended up with 35.6mm in 12 hours, 16.2C outside currently, twice as warm as this time last night.

Not sure it works like that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Drizzle for the last hour or so here in Wexford, it's so mild that it's literally drying up off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild night out here; West Mayo offshore island. And chilly now but no water shortage ....Sky is trying to clear and breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Woke up and the ground is wet in cork city! The mist must have went on all night :) don’t mind it though, watering the grass for us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Cloudy, breezy but dry here in south Cavan, everywhere wet though so must not be long cleared up.
    Looking forward to the prolonged dry and hot spell now, we've had enough rain here for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Ground is now saturated after the rain of yesterday and last week. Hopefully we get a few rain free days as I have Meadows to cut.

First properly wet day in nearly a month here in Dublin 5. I went out and the sun came out but 5 minutes later I got drenched in heavy drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yep, lots of heavy drizzle in Dublin 7 too, interspersed with blazing sunshine. The rain is much needed at this stage, especially with an incoming hot spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A nice bright start to the morning in Castlebar after nearly 40mm of rain yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't think the small rainfall totals we have seen in greater Dublin in the last week will make a blind bit of difference to impending water restrictions which are certain if that hot weather forecast for next week bears out. I expect car washes to be ordered off and hosepipe bans before the weekend, then if it keeps up, a rotation of water pressure in districts by night to try and maintain reserves. Not that Dublin's teabag pipework will be helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Some sun and a good bit of cloud about this morning in Glasnevin. It's breezy too. There was 1.8mm of rain recorded this morning. It's currently 13.1C and the temperature appears to be falling at the moment. The day's high since midnight was 18.2C just after midnight and the temperature's been falling ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I don't think the small rainfall totals we have seen in greater Dublin in the last week will make a blind bit of difference to impending water restrictions which are certain if that hot weather forecast for next week bears out. I expect car washes to be ordered off and hosepipe bans before the weekend, then if it keeps up, a rotation of water pressure in districts by night to try and maintain reserves. Not that Dublin's teabag pipework will be helping.

I was more thinking of the flora of Dublin, not the fauna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Some sun and a good bit of cloud about this morning in Glasnevin. It's breezy too. There was 1.8mm of rain recorded this morning. It's currently 13.1C and the temperature appears to be falling at the moment. The day's high since midnight was 18.2C just after midnight and the temperature's been falling ever since.

The temperature's 12.7C now and still falling.

Advertisement