Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Was lucky enough to be working outside at sunrise this morning. Breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I was lucky enough to working outside at sunrise this morning. Breathtaking. Feels warm in the sunshine now at 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gone a bit cloudy now here, still a great morning

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Heard a farmer who had just finished cutting his silage complaining about it being too hot next week!!!!! It has not even happened yet.
    We don't deserve nice weather in this country........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Max in Markree yesterday 15.4c Min 2.4c

Thats an average of 8.9c

Cool considering whats coming.

May not see a night that cold again until November

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Gorgeous out today, am topping with no cab tractor, just great, nice breeze with glorious sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Already at 20+ degrees here in Cork City!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's a fine day here in Dublin 5. Lots of high cloud around but it's beginning to break up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Finally Boards is working for me again!

Hazy sun all day at Grange and a fair chill in the breeze.

BBC monthly outlook seems very confident on a high pressure dominated July.

Right in line with my July 2018 analogue which showed an anticyclonic setup.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/outlook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

There's another gorse fire near me which is causing the air to smell like smoke. This is the second event of such nature this month. The last time it happened it lasted for around two days. I hope the fire is dealt with quickly, mainly to reduce impact but also because I can't stand this smell!

Other than the smell, it's been a beautiful day in Dublin 5.

Hello boardsies again!

What a day , gorgeous weather! Got to 22 degrees in cork Coty for a short while, currently 17 degrees. Clear blue sky all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Artane2002 wrote: »
    There's another gorse fire near me which is causing the air to smell like smoke. This is the second event of such nature this month. The last time it happened it lasted for around two days. I hope the fire is dealt with quickly, mainly to reduce impact but also because I can't stand this smell!

Other than the smell, it's been a beautiful day in Dublin 5.
    Pucks castle again, was a fire up there on the 14th. The Department of Agriculture has issued an Orange warning for fire due to current dry conditions and forecast high temperatures. I see nothing on the met.ie site about this, you would think they would issue something just to make people aware it's a tinder box out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I flew off to Spain in the middle of the last heat wave and just arrived back yesterday to the start of a new heat wave. So absolutely thrilled.:D

Sitting in my patio right now looking out at an amazing sky. It's been far too long since we've been able to enjoy such wonderful June weather. Long may it continue! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

acequion wrote: »
    I flew off to Spain in the middle of the last heat wave and just arrived back yesterday to the start of a new heat wave. So absolutely thrilled.:D

Sitting in my patio right now looking out at an amazing sky. It's been far too long since we've been able to enjoy such wonderful June weather. Long may it continue! :D

Was there not good June weather last year? I distinctly remember as I flew away on holidays the day it began and came back when it was over!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Great to have Boards back working. I woke up this morning to see no posts here since 5.30am and thought everyone must be really busy prepping their bbq's!

Reached close to 23C here earlier, but oddly enough it didn't feel as warm as yesterday which only reached 19C!.

really looking forward to the next week of warmth!.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Was there not good June weather last year? I distinctly remember as I flew away on holidays the day it began and came back when it was over!

For a few days. The first week or two and the last week were awful especially the last week here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sryanbruen wrote: »
    BBC monthly outlook seems very confident on a high pressure dominated July.

Right in line with my July 2018 analogue which showed an anticyclonic setup.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/outlook
    This summer is shaping up to be very similar to 1989. That summer saw a good spell in May, followed by a bit of a break and then a very warm July. I think August was average?
    A May-July summer in Ireland is a rare event, am I right? A good May usually means a bad summer but its looking like this year (like '89) is an exception.

This summer is shaping up to be very similar to 1989. That summer saw a good spell in May, followed by a bit of a break and then a very warm July. I think August was average?
    A May-July summer in Ireland is a rare event, am I right? A good May usually means a bad summer but its looking like this year (like '89) is an exception.

Correct. June 1989 was wetter than 2018 though it did have a hot spell mid-month (kind of the opposite to 2018 when you look at it).

August was warm but it was relatively unsettled and dull so nothing overly "poor" but I wouldn't class it as a great month either. Interestingly, August 1989 was very sunny in the south of the UK.

If you've been looking at my analogue posts throughout and some of the tweets I've shared, 1989 has been a common year in a lot of them :). Therefore, I'm not too surprised it's turning out this way.

A July like 1989 would certainly be nice. It was the last time Dublin Airport had 250 hours of sun or more in a July.

Only other times I can think of a great May-July period (with none of the months "poor" - very subjective though) were 1911, 1949 and 1959. Think I'll do Summer 1959 next in the Irish Weather stats thread. 1949 I'll do in future. 1911 is going to be somewhat of a tricky one to do due to the lack of data available online for Ireland on it - alls I have at the moment are Phoenix Park's maximum temperatures for it.

Great evening indeed (if feeling a bit chilly here in Dublin 13).

https://twitter.com/maxwellpix/status/1010640523483402240

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very nice warm day today, but the coolness did kick in fast after 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lovely day once again in Kildare, a lot of high cloud took the strength out of the sun but still nice and warm with a cooling breeze.

Not quite Kildare but just across the border in Lucan this afternoon!

20180623_143231.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sweet, fresh morning out here in the Atlantic.. Been pottering on morning chores... Wonderful to see the cats, having feasted on raw chicken, finding a place in the sun to wash. All lined up!

Sky is mountain to mountain blue... and so silent...

If I could find how to get photos from the phone to the chromebook.. Still have some from the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sweet, fresh morning out here in the Atlantic.. Been pottering on morning chores... Wonderful to see the cats, having feasted on raw chicken, finding a place in the sun to wash. All lined up!

Sky is mountain to mountain blue... and so silent...

If I could find how to get photos from the phone to the chromebook.. Still have some from the snow

If you have the cable to connect the phone to the laptop it should be simple enough. Theres lots of youtube videos explaining how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

My back garden corofin Co Galway 04.10am 24/6/18 6℃
    IMAG3395_zps6lcdas5n.jpg

16.10 24℃
    IMAG3396_zps3mj8i9ns.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co Galway 24/06/18 22.35 yesterday's temp was 25.9℃ hours of sunshine 14.8
    IMAG3404_zpsb6itduoe.jpg

Status Yellow - High-Temperature warning for Ireland
    Temperatures will hit 27 degrees Celsius in places today and are expected to exceed it on subsequent days, this week.

Issued: Monday 25 June 2018 06:00

Updated: Monday 25 June 2018 06:00

Valid from Monday 25 June 2018 06:00 to Friday 29 June 2018 21:00

Another cloudless morning in cork city. Currently about 14 degrees and rising.

Blissfully cool out here in the Atlantic.... Making the most of these lovely early hours. Been up and out since 4 am ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Clouding over here, had a fair bit of high cloud yesterday that led to hazy sunshine but today is proper cloud.

Advertisement