Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah, I'd have no idea how to answer that. If you haven't noticed, I haven't given much outlook posts in the past few days - as an emphasis of the uncertainty.

I think it's time for the next Autumn 2018 analogue though :). This one is on very dry Junes and the Autumns that followed these dry Junes. The 500mb height anomaly reanalysis looks very unsettled for Autumn but with Greenland blocking. The way the trough is aligned looks to me like that by November, we'd be thinking of a very snowy and cold scenario. I gave the November 2010 reanalysis to compare. Look quite similar!

pOR28Hm.png

OwVDRQJ.png

This quick table of CETs for each of the Autumns in the analogue prove what I said with a wet but cool Autumn signal with very cold conditions possible by November. The difference row is the anomaly of the mean of these Autumns from their 1981-2010 averages, for example, November's mean in this analogue is 5.9c which comes to -1.2c below the 1981-2010 average. Just look at all those cold Novembers in there including the coldest on record ever for the CET - 1915 with a CET of 2.8c.

So far, the Autumn 2018 analogues have been unsettled with differences on temperature. The models are suggesting a warm and dry Autumn which I'm quite dubious about at this stage. Anyway, I'm just speaking pointless for now because well, next week keeps on changing, never mind two-four months away!

KQe4RT8.png

Data comes from the UK Met Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Those 500DAM lines I think they are called, I remember you saying 524DAM line is coming up so it’s bringing the warm and shocked at how north it was one one run (I think it was 524?), is it the higher the DAM line the warmer/settled the weather and lower damn lines are more unsettled?

Thanks! Just want to learn some more weather stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Those 500DAM lines I think they are called, I remember you saying 524DAM line is coming up so it’s bringing the warm and shocked at how north it was one one run (I think it was 524?), is it the higher the DAM line the warmer/settled the weather and lower damn lines are more unsettled?

Thanks! Just want to learn some more weather stuff :)

It was the 564 Dam line :P, not 524.

Dam lines or "thickness" show you how warm or cold a layer of the atmosphere is via a figure calculated by the formula: 500mb height - 1000mb height. You needn't worry about that though as the main dam lines you look out for are:

528 dam line - The atmosphere is unstable but in a cold air mass so snowfall is likely. Even higher chances of snow if the dam line is 522 or lower. This is what we would have been seeing during the Beast from the East.

546 dam line - The westerlies are dominant in Winter with mild and wet conditions. This also continues into Summer with the dam line likely to sit to the north and west.

564 dam line - Heatwave conditions. Either a big anticyclone (like an Omega block) bringing some very warm air with it or a Spanish plume is likely to have a dam line such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Brilliant! thanks sryan! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Woke up this morning to see rain had fallen! This is the first rain we have had here in about 6 weeks. At last!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

appledrop wrote: »
    Woke up this morning to see rain had fallen! This is the first rain we have had here in about 6 weeks. At last!

Yes there has been light but steady rainfall throughout the night and early this morning. The ground has got a badly wanted wetting but a lot more is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yea it is very light + drizzly but we will take it. Garden full of blackbirds all morning finally able to find some worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I'm sick of this muck already. Any heatwaves on the horizon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

So the heatwave thread is closed and the event officially over. I'll remember this summer for the rest of my life. It's kind of depressing to think I may never witness something like this again.

I really do wonder what happened Clonmel, regular poster for years suddenly disappeared just as the weather he has been crying out for arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

So the heatwave thread is closed and the event officially over. I'll remember this summer for the rest of my life. It's kind of depressing to think I may never witness something like this again.

I really do wonder what happened Clonmel, regular poster for years suddenly disappeared just as the weather he has been crying out for arrives.
    And me the other who was abroad for the whole feckin lot of it :(
    He is probably still out sunbathing LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Hopefully enjoying it

Pouring rain again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Raining in kildare since mid morning...going from misty to quiet heavy at times, 1.5mm measuring in my little cheap weather station..
    Kids complaining already they can’t get outside. I threw on the light rain coat and shorts and went for a walk and was a sweaty mess when I got home.
    Temps still around 19c and humidity high..
    This band of rain moving very slow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'd actually love a good, proper, heavy downpour at this stage to just clear the humidity and the air entirely.
    This relatively light rain has just increased the muggy feeling.

It was nice for a few weeks but I was finding the pollen and dust really irritating. For some reason, I had far worse hay fever than I have ever experienced on the continent. Any reason for that? For example, do Irish plants go extra crazy during dry weather as they're evolved to make the most of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

harr wrote: »
    Raining in kildare since mid morning...going from misty to quiet heavy at times, 1.5mm measuring in my little cheap weather station..
    Kids complaining already they can’t get outside. I threw on the light rain coat and shorts and went for a walk and was a sweaty mess when I got home.
    Temps still around 19c and humidity high..
    This band of rain moving very slow...

Drops of rain on and off all day really. Nothing recorded this end of Kildare

Still drizzling neither occasional light rain
    Disgusting day and a reminder of what most of last summer was like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rotten day here, cloudy and wet for most of it, just reminded me of why i hate days like this and prefer the dry weather so much .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

he probably went on holiday to Iceland.

Rotten day here, cloudy and wet for most of it, just reminded me of why i hate days like this and prefer the dry weather so much .

We really need a few weeks of rain to ease the drought situation particularly in the east and the south of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

0.2mm now on the AWS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible day here too, sick of the rain already and on the search for another period of warm, dry and sunny weather.

We really need a few weeks of rain to ease the drought situation particularly in the east and the south of the country.

A few weeks ????? So the rest of the summer
    No thanks
    A few days here and there to ease it and it will come in autumn and winter
    Make no mistake it will come

I’m not going to wish the summer away mid July anyway
    Each to their own

km79 wrote: »
    A few weeks ????? So the rest of the summer
    No thanks

A few days here and there to ease it and it will come in autumn and winter
    Make no mistake it will come

I’m not going to wish the summer away mid July anyway
    Each to their own

A few days here and there will be of little use. Sustained rainfall is what is needed.

A few days here and there will be of little use. Sustained rainfall is what is needed.

Ok
    I’m not having this argument again
    It’s summer. I want summer weather. We actually have had seasons this year so far which is nice for a change imo

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Ok
    It’s summer. I want summer weather. We actually have had seasons this year so far which is nice for a change imo

Yes summer weather is nice and needed. But rain is needed also for the crops. It goin b a very scary winter if rain doesn’t come soon. Livelihoods will b lost cause of this drought. Consumers will b paying big money for veg and potatoes this winter if the crop is lost in fields. So in all rain is needed badly and if this weather keeps up another 2 weeks farmers livelihoods are lost. Unnecessary bills are mounting up as is and animals will die because there winter supplies are been eaten as no growth in fields to feed them now r grow fodder for the winter. We need a mild kind winter this year for any hope of wildlife surviving as no food growing on dead trees for them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ok

In Ireland this IS summer weather..sunshine AND showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The exact moment the front passed over and the sun came out(Castlebar)
    37145653_2186473071369804_2356889159383121920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b6f0ba676a2c5bcc87a5dd87d3428fea&oe=5BCE3E35

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

need plenty of rain , we have enough heat, 16-20 is plenty for growth need lots of rain now

Graces7 wrote: »
    In Ireland this IS summer weather..sunshine AND showers.

In your opinion.
    In my opinion the last couple of weeks were summer weather.

I understand completely that people for different reasons need rain. That does not mean it is seasonable to expect weeks of rain in July.

The weather will do what it wants anyway but I'm hoping for more nice weather interspersed with some rain to help those suffering hardship on farms etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I was so happy to have the distraction of the world cup final today to distract me from the weather. But it was really miserable. Amazing how different Ireland feels when we get normal summer weather. And I'm with km79 that "normal" is what we've had for the past few weeks and what we used to have in the very distant past.

Advertisement