Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2018 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

pauldry wrote: »
    I think theyr topsy turvy coz a change is coming and they dont believe it.

Solid analysis right there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Nice cool draught coming through the windows for a change, may have to close them tonight for first time in 2 months. Misting away outside, if it's going to rain I wish it would just pour. Hate that misty stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Nice cool draught coming through the windows for a change, may have to close them tonight for first time in 2 months. Misting away outside, if it's going to rain I wish it would just pour. Hate that misty stuff

Not only do I have my windows closed, I also have the heat on for the first time in two months.

Welcome back normal Irish summers! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

acequion wrote: »
    Not only do I have my windows closed, I also have the heat on for the first time in two months.

Welcome back normal Irish summers! :rolleyes:

Insane, you must have water for blood. 15c to 16c outdoors and you've the heating on. FFS. Put on a jumper if you're that cold. There seriously is no need whatsoever to have heating on this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Danno wrote: »
    Insane, you must have water for blood. 15c to 16c outdoors and you've the heating on. FFS. Put on a jumper if you're that cold. There seriously is no need whatsoever to have heating on this summer.

Yeah to be honest it's not just odd or strange, it's downright insanity and stupidity. I've often slept with indoor temperatures of 15/16c. To be honest, I think the post was made for the effect rather than reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Must be me but went outside for a cigarette at 1:30am ,I found it quite mild out, even humid and the breeze out no cold in it at all...

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Yeah to be honest it's not just odd or strange, it's downright insanity and stupidity. I've often slept with indoor temperatures of 15/16c. To be honest, I think the post was made for the effect rather than reality.

Oh would you ever get over yourself ffs! :mad:

Can some of ye just not accept that some of us have more latin than celtic blood in our veins and like to feel really warm in summer?? Obviously not, just can't get it at all :rolleyes:

Post made for "effect rather than reality" You clearly think that yours is the only reality, god love you!

Danno wrote: »

Are you really that incapable of understanding that some of us like a lot of heat? Have you never been out of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

acequion wrote: »
    Oh would you ever get over yourself ffs! :mad:

Can some of ye just not accept that some of us have more latin than celtic blood in our veins and like to feel really warm in summer?? Obviously not, just can't get it at all :rolleyes:

Post made for "effect rather than reality" You clearly think that yours is the only reality, god love you!

I hope your heating system is efficient anyways. What a waste of energy in a warm July.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I hope your heating system is efficient anyways. What a waste of energy in a warm July.

Glad for you that you think it's warm. I don't consider temps of mid teens celsius especially warm.

But I prefer not to waste my time attacking posters who have a different perception. Be nice if people would just respect that we're not all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That confusing moment when you read Met Eireann outlook which was updated as ECMWF 0z rolled out which says:
    Further outlook: A spell of rain is probable Wednesday night into Thursday, with the potential for some heavier bursts in places. A changeable Atlantic regime is likely to prevail into next weekend.

However the ECMWF run is close but no cigar for rain

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

ZX7R wrote: »
    Must be me but went outside for a cigarette at 1:30am ,I found it quite mild out, even humid and the breeze out no cold in it at all...

Last night felt humid and uncomfortable for me. Would love the "cool draught" that Ultimate Seduction speaks of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I miss the heatwave thread. Everyone with their thermometers out seeing who’s was biggest.
    Actually I miss the heatwave, sorting out photos on my phone last night- god the country looked spectacular in that awesome weather. Fingers crossed for another blast of easterly, continental warmth soon,

Villain wrote: »
    That confusing moment when you read Met Eireann outlook which was updated as ECMWF 0z rolled out which says:

However the ECMWF run is close but no cigar for rain

Met earanns last televised forecast last night started back tracking on the rain later in the week from been country wide and confined to the west.
    With the high pressure over northern Europe and the asourez high as strong as it is at the moment , it's had to see weather fronts making much inroads from the Atlantic

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Last night felt humid and uncomfortable for me. Would love the "cool draught" that Ultimate Seduction speaks of.

Ended up getting little to no sleep last night also ,it was a sticky night in the east.
    A nice morning ,air is much fresher and plesent

Next Autumn 2018 analogue here and this one is on Autumns that followed on from hot Summers because it is now certain that Summer 2018 will end up somewhere within the hottest Summers on record even if August 2018 ends out average temperature wise.

For this analogue, I have decided to look at the individual months too as well as the full Autumn season in one reanalysis.

The 500mb height anomaly reanalysis of these Autumns as a whole shows a very anticyclonic setup with a blocking area of high pressure over us just to the east drawing in a southeasterly flow from Europe meaning it'd be quite a warm Autumn too.

0Vg4HA6.png

The 500mb height anomaly reanalysis for the Septembers of these Autumns looks even more anticyclonic with a block of high pressure right over top of the country. There is a deep trough over Greenland which only promotes this high. Temperatures not particularly high as the wind is a variable direction but it would be relatively mild.

QwYBM7d.png

The 500mb height anomaly reanalysis for the Octobers of these Autumns also looks very anticyclonic but the high pressure is more anchored just to the northwest with a trough to the east of Europe. It'd be an average temperature October but continuing the very dry scenario.

9tuuI0W.png

The 500mb height anomaly reanalysis for the Novembers of these Autumns look mild to maybe even very mild at times with a trough to the southwest of the country. Quite a wet month by the looks of things. If the trough were to align differently to the south of England and high pressure builds over Scandinavia backing into Iceland then it'd be a cold scenario.

v4W0CqQ.png

Besides November, this analogue isn't really special for its temperatures (thus why I haven't made a table of CETs for this analogue) but how dry it is up to November. September and October look extremely dry. If they were to verify for September and October 2018, we'd be in national emergency continuing on from the exceptional dry period that began in May 2018. Fortunately, this is one of the first Autumn analogues that shows some settled weather as the others have been on the unsettled side. Plenty more analogues to come before we can decide on some final Autumn 2018 thoughts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met Eireann seemed to suggest a pretty dry spell for the east / south east into middle of next week. They didn’t really go beyond that. They were saying more showery on west and north west coasts but no major rainfall.

This summer has been incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met eireann website shows just 28mm of rain has fallen at dublin airport from 1st May to 19th July!! Nearly 3 months. That is an average of 0.3mm of rain daily average for 80 days in dublin. That is just remarkable data.

Met eireann website shows just 28mm of rain has fallen at dublin airport from 1st May to 19th July!! Nearly 3 months. That is an average of 0.3mm of rain daily average for 80 days in dublin. That is just remarkable data.

You could register that amount for a day from a heavy dew.
    Amazing weather statistic For any part of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Me too. Or me three;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was out walking the dog and the weather is perfect. Some sun breaking through and warm but not stultifying.. Sea and shore utter beauty. A sweet fresh breeze..

West Mayo; offshore island

Realised when we got home that the small stream that feeds a pool near the house, where the dog prefers to drink, had all dried up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Would you have link please. No like the new website. Need to load the app IF I had space.

Kutebride wrote: »
    Would you have link please. No like the new website. Need to load the app IF I had space.

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today is a big improvement over yesterday. Close to 20C here and small glimpses of hazy sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

should be in the Utah high desert region.

My favourite spot, next to the French Alps, have a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Pleasant enough day in North Dublin but disappointing amount of cloud all day. Forecast had said east and southeast was to get the best of the sunny spells but looking at satellite it looks like the south and south west and a strip up the centre of the country got some nice sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In danger of failing to breach the 20c mark today :(

Reached 22 in the end :) and 24.5 today. Mind you bar the odd moment until the last hour or so it's been fairly if lightly overcast.

ps can't believe anyone put their heating on! Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Pleasant enough day in North Dublin but disappointing amount of cloud all day. Forecast had said east and southeast was to get the best of the sunny spells but looking at satellite it looks like the south and south west and a strip up the centre of the country got some nice sunshine.

It's been mostly cloudy here in Glasnevin with the odd bit of sunshine. There was a good bit of sunshine for a while in the middle of the afternoon. It's currently 20.3C. The high today was 21.8C. And the south and southwest did seem to fare well for sunshine today according to the satellite picture and not so much the east and southeast as promised by the forecast.

When was the east expected to see good sunshine? :confused:

I was expecting a cloudy and humid day. I got some decent sunny intervals in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

When was the east expected to see good sunshine? :confused:

I was expecting a cloudy and humid day. I got some decent sunny intervals in the end.

The forecast was for mostly cloudy conditions, it's a lovely evening now in Wexford it was cloudy with sunny spells from about lunchtime after a cloudy morning.

Advertisement